It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lewiston, Me
Posts: 1
jami05 HB User
vicoden-tramadol

I take 2 vicodens and 2 tramadols every 4 hrs for pain because of my hip and lower back and sometimes that doesnot seem enough. I was wondering if taking a vicoprofen rather than the vicoden and tramadol combined would be better pain wise and stomach wise? the vicoden I have I believe are 350's. Any advice?

 
Old 10-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: houston, tx, usa
Posts: 6
oldironman HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jami05 View Post
I take 2 vicodens and 2 tramadols every 4 hrs for pain because of my hip and lower back and sometimes that doesnot seem enough. I was wondering if taking a vicoprofen rather than the vicoden and tramadol combined would be better pain wise and stomach wise? the vicoden I have I believe are 350's. Any advice?
Until someone with more expertise fully answers you, I will say this. One reason why it may not seem like enough is because th vicoden is narcotic, meaning you have to keep increasing the dosage to get the same pain-killing effect. Depending on a few things, your dosage may have to double every few days, give or take (probably less), to keep up. That means your prescription will run out pretty quick. On the tramadol, I have been taking it for a couple of years and I have never been able to take more than 1 1/2 at a time because of the way it effects me. Like many medicines, it hits different folks differently. Neither one is something to play with. Here is one thread to read something on the tramadol (Ultram). [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=540892&highlight=ultram[/url]

Good luck,
Mark
Edit: it looks like you may have to copy/paste that link.

Last edited by oldironman; 10-13-2007 at 10:23 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KY,USA
Posts: 528
jodom1979 HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

Stomach wise vicoprophen has advil in it. This will upset your stomach further. I had a ulcer a few years back and was told no advil or aspirin.. (and a few others)

 
Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: US
Posts: 863
butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

I disagree. Increasing the dose every few days?? Wow, that's quite a tolerance?! Tolerance to medications will happen, but not this quickly. My concern is the amount of tylenol you may be taking per day. The vicodin does not come in 350. Look at your bottle. There should be a small number (the hydrocodone), then a larger number (the tylenol). For example, (5-500, 7.5-650, 10-650, 10-325). How much tylenol does the Ultram have in it?

Changing to vicoprofen is simply changing the tylenol to ibuprofen. It can be hard on the stomach, but my work better for someone who may need an anti-inflammatory. You can always add a few Advil or Motrin to your regimen now, with your doctor's approval, and see if it helps.

 
Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: houston, tx, usa
Posts: 6
oldironman HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

Quote:
Originally Posted by butrfligirl28 View Post
I disagree. Increasing the dose every few days?? Wow, that's quite a tolerance?! Tolerance to medications will happen, but not this quickly. My concern is the amount of tylenol you may be taking per day. The vicodin does not come in 350. Look at your bottle. There should be a small number (the hydrocodone), then a larger number (the tylenol). For example, (5-500, 7.5-650, 10-650, 10-325). How much tylenol does the Ultram have in it?

Changing to vicoprofen is simply changing the tylenol to ibuprofen. It can be hard on the stomach, but my work better for someone who may need an anti-inflammatory. You can always add a few Advil or Motrin to your regimen now, with your doctor's approval, and see if it helps.
Jami05 is taking them every 4 hours. From my experience, after a few operations, taking them that often required me to up the dosage by the 2nd day. I assumed that was the norm, but I might be wrong. I didn't consider that it may affect others differently.
My Ultram doesn't have Tylenal or advil in it. I can't say if thats always the case.
mark

 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 140
morgyporgy HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

I would think it would be hard to distinguish which med is working and which is not since you are taking 2 meds together. I guess what i mean is if you have built a tolerance to one of them, how do you know which one? Have you ever taking these 2 meds individually? Depending on the strength of the meds you may be able to eliminate 1 of them with an increase of the other. Personally for me, tramadol or ultram does nothing for my pain but it does make my heart feel like it will pound out of my chest. The vicodin (hydrocodone) comes in many different strenths as butterfly pointed out. I started out with the 5/500 over 2 yrs. ago and i am now on the 10/325 and it works fairly well for me. I may have to occassionally take a 200 mg ibuprophen with it just to give it a boost for the stiffness and muscle pain.

I would suggest you speak with your DR. before you do anything. Anytime your pain is not being managed it needs to be discussed due to the fact that it could mean an adjustment in meds or there may be a change in your physical situation. gl and let us know what the dr. says. god bless, morgy porgy

 
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: lexington, ky usa
Posts: 107
MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jami05 View Post
I take 2 vicodens and 2 tramadols every 4 hrs for pain because of my hip and lower back and sometimes that doesnot seem enough. I was wondering if taking a vicoprofen rather than the vicoden and tramadol combined would be better pain wise and stomach wise? the vicoden I have I believe are 350's. Any advice?
Hi Jamie05. I was just put on Ultram ER last Fri. I take 200mg in the morning and 200 more at bedtime. That is the Maximum amount allowable in 24 hours.

It is a long acting med, rather than a short acting med like you are on right now. Why don't you ask your Dr. if you can try it. You may be able to eliminate the vico., and the Tramadol both.

I had been on Tramadol 50mg 4 X a day, and it didn't touch my pain. I know the Ultram ER doesn't help everyone the way it has me but it is worth a try. Ask the Dr. to give you a script for just a week and see how it works for you. That way if it doesn't help you, your money isn't down the drain.....

I have less pain now than I have had in 20 years...Good Luck and I hope you will find something to give you some relief...

Mammy

 
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: houston, tx, usa
Posts: 6
oldironman HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMMYBOJAMMY View Post
I had been on Tramadol 50mg 4 X a day, and it didn't touch my pain. I know the Ultram ER doesn't help everyone the way it has me but it is worth a try. Ask the Dr. to give you a script for just a week and see how it works for you. That way if it doesn't help you, your money isn't down the drain.....

I have less pain now than I have had in 20 years...Good Luck and I hope you will find something to give you some relief...

Mammy
Interesting Mammy. I think I'll get my doc to do that. I often run into situations where I can't (or don't) take it every 4 hours. Especially when I go wade-fishing (where you walk out into the water and fish for hours). By the time I get to the fishing spot I am sometimes 2 hours from being ready for another Ultram, and once in the water it is too risky to carry extra, even in my hat. Just taking it in the boat can be an adventure, with the sea-spray, wind, and waves knocking us around sometimes. But once in the water over my waist, with that weight taken off, it sure feels better. That ER might be just the ticket for those times. Thanks,
Mark

 
Old 10-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: lexington, ky usa
Posts: 107
MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User
Re: vicoden-tramadol

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironman View Post
Interesting Mammy. I think I'll get my doc to do that. I often run into situations where I can't (or don't) take it every 4 hours. Especially when I go wade-fishing (where you walk out into the water and fish for hours). By the time I get to the fishing spot I am sometimes 2 hours from being ready for another Ultram, and once in the water it is too risky to carry extra, even in my hat. Just taking it in the boat can be an adventure, with the sea-spray, wind, and waves knocking us around sometimes. But once in the water over my waist, with that weight taken off, it sure feels better. That ER might be just the ticket for those times. Thanks,
Mark

Mark, I fortgot to tell you that Tramadol and Ultram are the same thing If you ask your Dr. about it make sure you say Ultram ER.

there is a WORLD of difference between Ultram and the U ER....

Now, I have to say this....The U ER is NOT helping my pain now as much as it did when I first started taking it last week.

I am finding I am having to take a Tramadol in between my AM and PM doses. I could actually take 2 of them, but I don't. I am hoping this med will comtinue to work for me...at least I do not feel sore now like I used to..so I can give that credit to the U ER. Don't let them take away your other meds just in case the U ER starts out working great, then stops.....

Have a great day...Mammy

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Controlled Release Vicoden submitted to FDA brianpain33 Pain Management 20 04-06-2008 04:44 PM
Finally Quiting Vicoden Habit man74 Addiction & Recovery 59 08-29-2005 11:15 AM
question regarding after-effects of vicoden use???? froggirl Addiction & Recovery 19 08-25-2005 07:09 AM
Vicoden Habit man74 Addiction & Recovery 1 05-05-2005 04:56 PM
Vicoden vs Norco Dusty Flowers Pain Management 4 12-23-2004 10:29 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



gmak (155), tortoisegirl (154), Shoreline (148), BB07 (91), backhurtz (84), katlin09 (69), Ilovemycutedog (53), galalena (50), jonnstar (35), Isotope (34)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1165), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!