It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
(male)

daniel1000 HB User
Opiates for Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome

I have had this condition for over 8 years and have exausted every treatment going for this cursed affliction (really everything) including all recommended non opiate pain kiilers I have been taking trammadol for six months but during the last 2 months the positive effects have wained in the last two months .

I am left between the choice of a prostectomy (I'm 26 so this is the last thing i want) or taking opiate pain killer. What opiates are usually prescribed for this condtion. Has anyone gone down this route?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shoreline2 HB User
Re: Opiates for Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome

Hi Daniel, What's the DX, Chronic prostatitis? Are things better while on antibiotics? The only problem with using opiates is they can cause significant urinary retention.

IN the US they use long acting versions of morphine, oxycodone, Oxymorphone, fentanyl or methadone and in canada they have LA dilaudid and codeine.

I certainly wouldn't rush surgery if they don't know for sure the problem is your prostate. and I would be very careful of the method used to remove the prostate. Some aproaches have fewer complcations than others.
Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

[QUOTE=daniel1000;3261152]I have had this condition for over 8 years and have exausted every treatment going for this cursed affliction (really everything) including all recommended non opiate pain kiilers I have been taking trammadol for six months but during the last 2 months the positive effects have wained in the last two months .

I am left between the choice of a prostectomy (I'm 26 so this is the last thing i want) or taking opiate pain killer. What opiates are usually prescribed for this condtion. Has anyone gone down this route?[/QUOTE

do you have prostate cancer? this condition if it is what i think it is which like me no medical doc or establishment has named yet. i do no like myself i have thought about things that you are thinking about, but there is no definite reason why we have pain in the pelvis and to remove a body part with no guarantee it will cure it. I have spoken with people who have had prostate removed and still have the pain in pelvis area. my pain is in the perineum area and i get pain radiating to my testicles but there is nothing wrong with prostate or testicles numerous tests. the are some web sites that show there are other men that to suffer as we do. i have had all of these names put on what i suffer from chronic pelvic pain, chonic pelvic myoneuropathy, non bacterial prostatitis, prostatdynia, but have never been really e given a true diagnosis no cancer but extreme pain in pelvis.. lots of presriptiuons for anitbiotic numerous, anticonvuslants used for nerve pain, aplha blockers muscle relaxers, antiinflamatoires, everything imaginable before trying different routes of opiates fentanyl patch, oxycontin,etc . i am now on metadol canadian version of methadone in pill form and i have found this definetly works the best and has given me my life back. i tried ever other alternative method or remedy. had all sorts of test and scans done over the years. i have suffering from severe chronic pelvic pain (male) for about 8 years as well. I could write pages of info that i have done to try and calm my pelvic pain to a bearable enough level?

Last edited by ruko4; 10-16-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
(male)

daniel1000 HB User

Thanks Dave, I almost certainly have non-bacterial prostatitis I have had shock doses of huge amounts of antibiotics, 3x two month courses of cipro or doxy etc etc A few weeks ago I sat down and worked out that I had been taking antibiotics for at least 20 months in the last 5 years

I really don't want surgery because the chances of remaining fertile after said surgery sound rather slim. But on the other hand the option of taking opiates for perhaps the rest of my life makes the possibility of addiction high.

I was hoping to be able to switch between Tramadol and an opiate on a monthly rotation becuase if I don't take tramadol for a month then my resistance to it falls away a great deal and its pain killing effect returns. Is this a feasible idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline2 View Post
Hi Daniel, What's the DX, Chronic prostatitis? Are things better while on antibiotics? The only problem with using opiates is they can cause significant urinary retention.

IN the US they use long acting versions of morphine, oxycodone, Oxymorphone, fentanyl or methadone and in canada they have LA dilaudid and codeine.

I certainly wouldn't rush surgery if they don't know for sure the problem is your prostate. and I would be very careful of the method used to remove the prostate. Some aproaches have fewer complcations than others.
Good luck, Dave

Last edited by daniel1000; 10-17-2007 at 05:55 AM.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
(male)

daniel1000 HB User

[QUOTE=ruko4;3261473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel1000 View Post
I have had this condition for over 8 years and have exausted every treatment going for this cursed affliction (really everything) including all recommended non opiate pain kiilers I have been taking trammadol for six months but during the last 2 months the positive effects have wained in the last two months .

I am left between the choice of a prostectomy (I'm 26 so this is the last thing i want) or taking opiate pain killer. What opiates are usually prescribed for this condtion. Has anyone gone down this route?[/QUOTE

do you have prostate cancer? this condition if it is what i think it is which like me no medical doc or establishment has named yet. i do no like myself i have thought about things that you are thinking about, but there is no definite reason why we have pain in the pelvis and to remove a body part with no guarantee it will cure it. I have spoken with people who have had prostate removed and still have the pain in pelvis area. my pain is in the perineum area and i get pain radiating to my testicles but there is nothing wrong with prostate or testicles numerous tests. the are some web sites that show there are other men that to suffer as we do. i have had all of these names put on what i suffer from chronic pelvic pain, chonic pelvic myoneuropathy, non bacterial prostatitis, prostatdynia, but have never been really e given a true diagnosis no cancer but extreme pain in pelvis.. lots of presriptiuons for anitbiotic numerous, anticonvuslants used for nerve pain, aplha blockers muscle relaxers, antiinflamatoires, everything imaginable before trying different routes of opiates fentanyl patch, oxycontin,etc . i am now on metadol canadian version of methadone in pill form and i have found this definetly works the best and has given me my life back. i tried ever other alternative method or remedy. had all sorts of test and scans done over the years. i have suffering from severe chronic pelvic pain (male) for about 8 years as well. I could write pages of info that i have done to try and calm my pelvic pain to a bearable enough level?
I am in the same boat. I have tried everything from accupuncture to every conseivable anti-diuretic, anti inflammitory and alternative medecine going to treat this and only Tramadol has had any positive affect. I can't go on living going to the toilet 40 times a day and not sleeping more than 3 hours in a row anymore this illness has invaded every area of my life and has almost cost me my job (try teaching six year olds after only two hours sleep!!) Is long term opiate use the right path to take? The idea of taking handfuls of pills everyday for the next 50 odd years doesn't appeal to me but I can't go on as i am now.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
(male)

helpatlast HB User

Hi Guys,

You have to try a prostate massager.

IT WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOR ME AFTER YEARS OF PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

You also have to sit on special cushions so that you pelvic area and rid itself of the cycle of pain.

Good luck

Helpatlast

Closed Thread