It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User
Question Not sure what to do - please help!

Hi,

I have what is probably a really minor problem, but I'm not sure what I should do.

My doctor put me on pain medication for joint pain, I take one pill three times a day. I'm getting my next prescription on the 18th, so that means that I can't get another one before the 18th of November. However, the 18th of November is a Sunday, and the only other appointments my doctor had open in that time frame were either for the 21st or the 13th. The receptionist scheduled me for the 21st.

Now, that means I would have a few days where I wouldn't have medication. If I go in on the 13th, not only would I feel like I was going in too soon, but I couldn't pick up my prescription until the 18th anyway.

My question is: Should I call and explain the situation and ask what I should do/what could be done, or do I deal with this myself/keep my mouth shut and skip a dose here and there to fill in the gap?

I know this sounds like a really, really dumb question, but I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thank you,
~I

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User
Re: Not sure what to do - please help!

is your next appt October 18th? If so, just remind the doctor to make it out for that many days until your next appt.

Last edited by eyesworld; 10-16-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

No no, I'm picking up my script on the 18th, but I'm just going to the front desk. I *just* had my last appt. on October 15th, but since my previous script was given on September 18th, she couldn't give it to me on October 15th, I'm just going back in to pick the script for Oct/Nov up. I'm not actually going back to see the doc (as it's scheduled now) until November 21st.

Basically, if I stick with the Nov. 21st appt. I'd have a 3-day period without meds. I'm just not sure what to do, or if anything can be done (and unfortunately Nov. 18th is a friggin' Sunday - office closed as far as I know, and the only options I've been given are come in on the 13th - too early, or the 21st - too late).

~I

Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
(male)

jamesm HB User

Can't they just leave it at the desk again for you to pick up on Friday, and then you go to your appt on the 21st?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
(female)

No, for two reasons: My doctor and I are supposed to discuss the medication before she writes another prescription, and they absolutely CANNOT give it to me before the 18th, period.

So, at this point, I see three options:

1. Take the appointment on the 13th instead of the one on the 21st, and come back in to pick up the prescription on or after the 18th, similarly to what we're doing this month.
2. Take the appointment on the 21st and have a 3-day gap with no meds (or skip a few doses to fill that gap).
3. Something else I might not know about.

~I

Last edited by Odesse; 10-16-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Absoloyely go on the 13th and just fill the script on day 30 which is actually nov 16 because their are 31 days in oct. Explain to your doc you got the last one filled on the 18th and you will need to see him/her before your in full lown withdrawal. You fill that one on the 16 or 17th and offer to bring the bottle to verify the fill date. In VA a C-11 is good for at least 30 days. Been doing this for years and it's really not a big deal to pick up a script before you fill it. If you use one pharamcy, follow the rules, you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck, Dave

My doc does pill counts and checks dates at every apt, so filling on day 30 isn't science, you either do it or you get booted. If you have a calander, you can count out day one through 30 and use visuals with your doc to show the problem .

Old 10-17-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
(female)

I just got off the phone with the appointments scheduler, who talked to the doctor, and they both understood completely. I'm going in on the 13th to see the doctor in person, and I'll be able to pick the prescription up on the 16th since October is a longer month.

I'll be bringing the bottles with me, just to be sure, and I always use the same pharmacy because the pharmacists there are so nice.

Problem solved! Yay for scheduling people and doctors who understand.

Thank you, Shoreline. You told me exactly what I needed to know. You really know your stuff! My cat's name is Dave, btw.

~I

Closed Thread