It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

sharonn HB User
Angry Total humiliation at the pharmacy

I ran out early this month due to a bad case of shingles and my Dr. knew....so he wrote me out a new rx....medicaid will cover it if the dose is different.So I went to my regular pharmacy and was told my the pharmacist that it was too soon. I figured it was the medicaid but I have ben in this situation before, Then he grumbled something under his breath about "you drug seekers" and refused to call or speak to my Dr. or look into it. Everyone was staring at me...I was so embarrassed, He threw it down on the counter and said"I will not fill this...Try another pharmacy, I explained to him that my Dr. KNEW it was too early and therefore wrote a new rx with DIFFERENT dosage. I left in tears. Turns out he was wrong and the CVS in the next few miles was glad to fill it. I hate this. I felt like a criminal and as if I was being punished for being in pain. I understand there are strict rules and they don't want to lose their license but the straw that broke the camel's back was asking me what my dx was? Why did I need such strong medicine. Like I was going to go home and have a big party with it. I can only work 2 days and believe me at the end of the day the neuropathy in my feet is bad...all I want to do is go home and ly down. What the heck is wrong withpeople and why is there so much stigma and ignorance surrounding pain mgt? Thanks for letting me vent. "Normal" folks just don't get it. Sharonn

Last edited by sharonn; 10-16-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Total humiliation at the pharmacy

I am so sorry this happened to you and if I was you, I would call the store manager and have a chat with him re: the pharmicists unacceptable treatment.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Sorry Sharon, Yourt absolutely right, If it's a dofferent drug, different dose, any pharmcy can fill the script. Sorry you had to meet someone that didn't such a jerk. I just lok at it like there are jerk blue collar workers and jerk white collar, being a doc lawyer or pharmacist doesn't make them right, It really shows how truly igbnorant he is. He's going to control your docs prescribing by refusing his scripts? Perhaps your doc should call and let him know he will refer nobody to that company, it will get a lot more done as far as someone taking notice. Pharamcist are the tail that wags the dog at retail stores.

They make rediclous money for counting pills and make their own rules. The store can't open it's pharamcy without a pharmacist there and they see it as it's their licence on the line . So if a pharamacy wants the 4th of july off, and isn't willing to cover for tripple pay, they close it. My wife was in managment for several years and the stories I could tell about pharamcists. They aren't imune to drug abuse either. What other job gives someone that much power. Unfortunately they are in such high demand with a pharamcy on every corner, they let them get away with the worst customer treatment. However, a doc calling the regional or corporate pharmacy manager and saying none of his patients will ever use their stores, may actually get something done.

Don't let it get to ya, Take care, Dave

Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
(female)

lucy777 HB User

I have never used an outside pharmacy so maybe I don't quite understand how it works....but what right does a pharmacist have to refuse a Dr's rx??? He is basically saying the Dr is incompetent and doesn't know what he is doing. Did you tell your Dr what happened?? You shouldn't feel bad for that pharmacist lack of empathy and compassion. I am sorry you had to go through this

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
(female)

sharonn HB User
Wink Re: Total humiliation at the pharmacy

Thank you for all your supportive responses. I was so upset last night. What a jerk. But in all honesty...this makes me want to get off the oxycodone as it has become such a hassle and so mant nasty comments have been made. maybe I can wean down...but I don't know how I will manage my pain. After 2 years I don't get "high" from it...if anything I can be moody and sleepy/ Don't they even know anything about the drugs they prescribe. I am never going back there believe me. He made me feel like a criminal. My DR. was pretty mad as well. Thanks again....be well...Love, Sharonn

Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

Sharon,

All of us here completely understand your anger and the humiliation that things like this can cause. We have all been there. Be it a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, etc. It hurts everytime and it is so cold and thoughtless!!!

Please whatever you do, don't jump the gun and sacrifice your health and YOUR quality of life because this pharmacist was a jerk!!!! You even said you didn't know how you would manage your pain if you stopped the meds. Remember, you have a doctor behind you and there are alot of pharmacist out there who can help you. Do not let this PERSON disrupt your life in such a drastic manner. You deserve better than this. Deep down i think you know this. Do not sacrifice yourself because this man is not worth your happiness. As shoreline said, try to just let it go and get a new pharmacist. I am truly sorry you went through this. I mean that with all my heart. God Bless, morgy porgy

The Following User Says Thank You to morgyporgy For This Useful Post:
Prettyinpink81 (06-10-2012)
Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

your story is why I left one pharmacy and went to another-very embarassing to be told out loud in front of people that
"it is too soon to fill your narcotic prescription"
their loss

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

What I am going to say does not mean to include rude arrogant pharmacists like the OP had to put up with, But I really think it is the smart thing to do to look at the pharmacist as part of your medical care team, they are a lot more than just pill counters, not only do they have to go to school for many years, they have to stay on top of constantly being aware of new drugs and strenghts, and which things are prescribed 'off lable' or for reasons other than the expressed reason for the med.

Like acne medication that turned out to be a hair restorer, or an antidepressant that also works to help people quit smoking.

When I get a new pharmacy, I always ask to speak to the pharmacist, and again every time I go in and see one I havent met before. I introduce myself and explain about my fusion and ddd and why I am on the meds I am on. It has worked really really well for me, and I have wound up having pharmacists willing to go to bat for me against techs that are snotty to anyone on narcotics.

But some people are just jerks, I remember taking in my 3rd monthly refill to a new pharmacy about 10 years ago, and the pharmacist YELLED from the back 'AGAIN?? Why do you keep taking this? I won't fill it.' I was humiliated and left and never went back. I know my doctor called and complained about it, Hopefully enough people will take their business elsewhere and people like that and the one the OP met will lose their jobs.

There is a lot of competition these days for your pharmacy dollars, and I hope improved customer service reflects that.

Hugs, Fabby

Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Sharon, it makes me so angry for you . I am so sorry you went through that. When I first started PM and didn't know what I know today, I was treated horribly by a pharmacist and one of her staff. They'd whisper behind my back and treat me rudely at the counter, but when the next patient went up to the window, they treated them like their best friend. I can remember sitting there humiliated, embarassed and hurt. But the big issue was every couple months or so, she'd "forget" to order my meds. The last straw came christmas eve when she didn't order it in and I didn't find this our until late afternoon when most of the pharmacies had shut down early for the holiday. (This was in a small southern town). There I sat in that store calling every other pharmacy in town instead of enjoying Christmas Eve. The only other open pharmacy didn't have it in stock. I would have spent the holiday either in horrible pain and withdrawls or in the ER if it wasn't for my hubby who unbeknownst to me had put aside some of my meds in case of an emergency.

I have learned to never be treated like that again. I do what Fabby does and my pharmacist is now one of my biggest advocates. She has come to bat for me on more than one occasion. I highly recommend doing what Fabby suggested.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
(female)

sharonn HB User

Thank you all so much...I do feel better and it is great having your support. People w/o pain have no idea what it's like to have to proritize everything in your life according to your pain levels. Bless you....Sharonn

Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
(male)

erfan HB User

I must be lucky. I go to a small pharmacy that has 3 locations down here and I'e never had any humiliation whatsoever. This pharmacy seems to be well stocked with "unusual" meds and I get the feeling that they do a lot of business from the CP community.

One time I had a problem with the national chain with the NYSE ticker symbol WAG. This was a few years ago when I was taking MS Contin and MSIR. Well, they screwed up the rx and gave me the number of pills written for the MS Contin in the MSIR rx and vice versa. The bottom line was that I had about 30 more MS Contin and 30 less MSIR. I called the pharmacy immediately and they told me to come back and they would check it out. As soon as I got there, one guy in particular was screaming at me that I switched the bottles (I forgot to mention that besides the wrong count, the lables were switched). He said that they keep a count, which I knew. I told him to check it out. Well, they must have found the mistake because they quietly corrected the mistake.

I was curious about the status of the guy behind the counter who had been on my case. I figured he must be the head pharmacist. Turned out he was an INTERN!

I switched to the my current place and have been extremely well taken care of. My current regimen is 100 mcg Fentanyl patch changed 48 hours and 30 mg Roxicodone for b/t up to 4 daily.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Sharonn~
Im not one to mince words as you may know...PLEASE report this *sshole so he doesnt do it to someone else. saying "Ill never go back", is just rolling over and letting this freak abuse other pain patients. At your expense, and others' he gets his power trip fueled and frankly I cannot imagine letting someone do that to me ever. I have a pharmacy I adore, BUT there was one time a senior pharmacist hollered at me with 6 ppl in lin in front of me, "We need to get you off of this stuff..."
Needless to say hes gone, and he lives 2 doors down from me in my small town. I reported him to the manager, and that was it. PLUS come to find out the dumb *ss told everyone in church when he was "coming clean" one Sunday at "cleanse day," that he'd tried every drug under the planet. Now I see him mowing his lawn and carrying his Pabst beer in from his truck...Ya never know! And this guy was a thorn in my rear from day one. Makes me wonder where the return to stock meds went....
xoxoxoxo,
Izzy'smom

Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

To start off...

Dear IZZY'SMOM,

Are you sure you're not the absolute Angel we all believed in? You know...the one who might mince a word here or there?? Please...I've missed kidding with you! Frankly, you made a very good point concerning the medications that were to be returned to stock if they weren't picked up by the customer! Forgive me, IZZY'SMOM, I've been offline for a while, and I recall that you have generally allowed me to pick on you--as long as it has been done in a friendly manner! This was truly meant to be friendly--just a gentle poke!

Now...I must respond to the original post: So Sharonn, I don't know how you kept yourself from performing serious acts of violence--especially when items of a litigious nature were hurled in your direction. It doesn't help, but I'm typing so hard that I will have to replace this keyboard soon!

Whenever my pharmacist (or one of the technician's) wants to discuss anything with me concerning my medications, I am asked to step into a private area. I assume this is an effort to prevent the entire establishment from hearing my business. SO...I THOUGHT--BUT WOULD LIKE TO BE SET STRAIGHT FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS FOR SURE--this kind of information was to be kept as private as reasonably possible. Could someone enlighten me on this subject...please?!! I would appreciate knowing about the proper manner in which these types of communications should be handled.

I cannot understand the reason anyone should ever be considered a drug seeker when the Dr. has given authorization by writing the needed prescription. This kind of mistreatment is not only ridiculous, but absolutely cruel--especially when you factor in the entire route of difficulty a pain patient must endure to simply be taken legitimately.

Thank you,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 10-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
(female)

lucy777 HB User

there ARE privacy laws in effect that prohibit a pharmacist from sharing any medical information regarding a patient with the the public. He should be held accountable...I believe it is under HIPPA laws . You should ask to speak to the "privacy officer for HIPPA laws and regulations" that should get their attention. All medical offices are required to have an appointed "privacy officer" who can explain the privacy laws to you. There are HUGE fines and penalties when someone discloses your health information to the general public. You have rights.I wonder if that pharmacist would appreciate you going in and asking (just as loudly as he did) to speak to the privacy officer to report a violation regarding your private medical information being disclosed in an inappropriate manner...hmmmm

Last edited by lucy777; 10-20-2007 at 06:24 AM.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hey Jon!
Sorry Ive been away as well,, and yes you can pick on me...just be ready to get it back!
Sharonn....let us know what happens. I went to my pharmacy today and again realize how fortunate I am.
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread