It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Help! Do you guys think I'm in trouble here?

Hi Gang,

I came down with strep throat and bronchitis on sunday, Monday I was really sick and coughing hurt very very bad, my temp was 103. I called my doctor to try and get in to see him (as some of you know, I go to county health, my primary also prescibes my pain meds).

I was told that our enrollment had elapsed. I thought they checked it every year, but its every 6 months. They wouldnt even let me speak to the advice nurse. I made an appointment to go in for a new financial screening.

I was so sick, and had no idea what to do. Hubby talked me into going to the ER. I went, and I told the doctor I was a chronic pain patient under contract. He diagnosed me with the strep and bronchritus.

He gave me 3 prescriptions, I had to fill them at a different pharmacy than I usually use, which my contract says I can only use one, but it was closed, I had to use a 24 hour one.

My hubby went in this morning to the financial screening appointment, and I wrote a note for him to drop off to my doctor, explaining what happened and why.

When I went to list the meds I was given in the hostpital, I noticed the cough syrup has a narcotic in it

I listed all the prescriptions I had, gave him the name of the doctor I saw, and explained that
1. I made every effort to see him before I went to ER
2. I was not seen for anything to do with my back or neck, which is what my pain meds are for.

Do you think it will be okay? I am not set to see him again for a month, but we got approval, so I could see him sooner. I need to call for my refills in just a week or so, and I dont want to wait and find out then that I have been kicked out of his practice!

He is much much stricter than my last doctor was. I have a contract with him, and he told me he does do UA's. although he never said anything about pill counts. He said if he does a UA and finds you have too much or not enough of your pain med, he will assume you are taking them, but not sticking to prescribed amounts and will work with you, if he finds any street drug in you, youre out on the street with nothing. None of this bothered me, because I am compliant and I dont use street drugs.

But now I am really really worried. I have no medical insurance, if he kicks me out, I have no where to turn. Any suggestions or encouraging words would be apprieciated.

TIA, Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: Help! Do you guys think I'm in trouble here?

Fabby, it sounds like you did everything right. I can't imagine he would have a problem with what you did. If you are worried I'd make an appointment to see him earlier as I've learned it's better to see him face to face so I can speak directly to him so there is no misunderstanding. Plus that will ease your mind.

Take care
Melissa

Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
(male)

videogamecrazed HB User

I think you will be just fine, In my own experience from 4 years of Pain med Dr's x2 I have found that unless you do something sooo totally wrong and make this man/women believe you are an abuser/user of street drugs etc..than you will be just fine. If for some reason it does not go that way (can imagine it not) then it is out of your control. However, EVERYTHING is in your control right now and it sounds like you are doing the most absolute right thing and are being a VERY honest person. Calm down, dont worry and just keep doing everything that you are doing. No need in making yourself more stressed as this will hinder you from being well in any way possible.

God Bless Jason

Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Thank you so much, Melissa and Jason. I am still worried a bit, and I may take your advice and go ahead and get an appointment to see him early.

I also kind of think if he had a huge problem with it, He would have had someone from his office call me. Thanks for the encouragement, it really helped a lot!

Hugs, Fabby

Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
(male)

whosit HB User

Fabby,

you are just fine, you did try to see him first and did the right thing by going to the ER, you were very sick! I hope you are better now though. You also did the right thing by letting him know you were given RX's from the ER. The narcotic was in a cough syrup and not a pain pill. The narcotic in the syrup is not meant to relieve pain really, it is an expectorant meaning it is to help you get all the crap out of your chest. If it was codeine(prob was) it also helps reduce your coughing by working on something in your brian called the cough control center. Dextromethorpan HBR which is found in almost all over the counter cough medicines works in exactly the same way. Your doctor will not be mad at you for getting medical help when you really needed it. In my opinion and if I were a doctor I would be mad at you for NOT going to the ER with a 103 temp. I hope you feel better and when you go see your doc tell him in person what happened as well, I am sure you will be fine. Let us know what happens though.

whosit (formerly Wvrecon432)

Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey Fabby,
This is the dreadful thing about being in our situation in this day and age. Something so trivial has the potential of destroying your whole way of life, and it's completely out of your control. It all depends on the mood your Doctor is in, whether he had his coffee or any of a thousand other things. On the plus side, you've always had a good relationship with this Doc, and he'll probably see things in their proper perspective. I agree with the others though that the sooner you can see the Doc and put your mind at ease the better. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Thanks, Badold and Whosit(I remember you from when you were Wrvn!)

I am feeling better today, I think the antibiotic is kicking in. My poor family is all coming down with it, both son and hubby were home sick yesterday. I hope it goes away soon and doesnt turn into one of those 2 week flu things.

I also noticed how extra pain, like from the coughing, doesnt seem to be touched by my regular meds. They are still helping me a lot with my back, but it seems like if something new comes along, its almost like I'm not taking anything for pain. Any one else have that happen? It seems like if it is still working on the back pain, it should be able to knock out any new pain as well, but no.

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement, It means a lot to me.

~Fabby

Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Hope you and your family are feeling better. And good luck with your doctor.
I"ve experienced the 'extra' pain. When I had surgery on my arm it did feel like I was taking tylenol for the pain. My regular meds did nothing extra. It almost seems like the pain is worse than it would be if I wasn't taking anything at all!
Does this make sense? Anyway, good luck and take care.~Mush

Old 10-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Fabby, I hope you and your family feel better fast, I had pneumonia last year and even with all my meds I was coughing something horrible and my pain was through the roof. They wouldn't or couldn't give me anything to help with the coughing although that brings up a question. Since codeine or hydrocodone is usually given for cough, would they work if you were on different narcotics? I thought ALL narcotics worked for coughing, but I am on strong ones and I was still coughing. Would it have made a difference if they gave you cough syrup?

Again Fabby, I hope you guys are feeling better.

Melissa

Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I've seen codeine, hydrocodone and hydromorphone all prescribed for coughs of varying degrees. Research programs consistently show that dextromethorphan (a weak opioid useless for pain but good for cough, and over the counter) is just as good as any of these stronger narcotics. My problem is when the cough is no longer productive and it turns into a dry, hacking cough that keeps me up all night. Then I'm ready for the strongest preparation they'll provide.

steve

Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Thanks Steve, I know what you mean. I hate that!

Melissa

Closed Thread