It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
I feel bad for calling the doc and asking for a differents meds

My doc is just trying to help but he put me on MS Contin 60 recently because i asked for something stronger. Now I think this med is to strong. Is it common for pain management patients to struggle at first finding the right dosage or med. I don't know why I feel this way but I am hesitating to call him. The morphine makes me foggy and I have a big eurphoric feeling. The roxicodone or oxy was not as intense and seemed to work better for me.

Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
(female)

momforever HB User
Re: I feel bad for calling the doc and asking for a differents meds

no matter what the ailment is a person should always let the doctor prescribing the meds know exactly how it is reacting to your body
chemistry., good or bad or not all or too much. They can always change
the dosage, add to it or change it all together depending on the reaction
you are having. I have felt like a lab rat but I know when they get it right
on my life is better for it.. I am not in pain but I have to be on meds
plural to fix my depression, anxiety and sezures. ALWAYS tell the doctor
the reactions you get from the drugs it is thier only way to know which way
to go to help you and they will help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Jason, I honestly believe docs expect to here from you more often at the time during initial titration, We are all afraid to rock the boat but it's not that hard to find out what your doc expects as far as how much time you should give it. A month is a long time if your over medicated or under medicated. When changing meds ask how long it take to really know if it's right and if he says you'll know within a week or it takes a good month, he's pretty much telling you how often he expects to hear from you.

As far as drowsiness, everything I have experienced and have read about morphine is that it's much more sedating than the synthetics and patients should really try to give it a chance to pass. That groggyness and tired feeling will deminsish and if you don't give it a fair trial, you will run out of meds to try very quick. I would say handg in there. Groggy is one thing, feeling like you can't catch your breath or aren't getting enough air means too much respirtory supression. If youir simpy drowsy, you should really give it more time.

You also have to understand that the synthetics hydro, oxy, dilaudid are in a a different class that causes a significant hystamine release and can actually be energizing, even more so when taken in short acting form. Going from short acting oxy to morphine is a significant change in side effects but it if it takes 3 weeks to pass and you don't give it 3 weeks, you may never know if morphine could have been the right choice in the long run. If you think morphine is sedating, you would hate methadone. You don't want to rule out meds before you try,so don't expect one to feel the same as another particlualry when you first start.

I've never found the right dose in less than 4 tries and some of the increases were quite significant. The prescribing instructions for many meds say to make the conversion and then start at half of the equianelgesic dose. If your going from a dose that isn't working, to half the equal amount of the new med you have to work just to get back to the same level of discomfort you had with the old med. Switching meds may mean taking 3 steps back before making any progress but the long term goal is to find the most efective method. Not relief as fast as posible or that has the least side efects when you first start.

Expecting severe chronic pain to be brought under control in a matter of weeks or months just isn't realistic. Unless your doc says we will work with you weekly untill we find the right med and dose. It's just not a reaonable expectation. Weekly is a bit much, but 2-3 weeks Vs a month is reasonable.
If it's only been a week, I think you need to give it more time, what is the harm in being drowsy right now if it turns out to work great in 3 weeks once you used to a very different opiate than you have taken in the past.

Good luck and don't be afraid to talk to your doc, but give it a fair trial. Especially morphine when all you have to do is read the fullprescribing info on any morphine product to find out how sedating most people find it initally.
Take care, Dave

Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I think it's quite common for patients to be calling their doc when they are working to titrate the right dose. My doc usually makes the appointment for 2 weeks instead of a month any time he changes the dose or med. I agree with Shore to give it more time and don't worry about calling your doc.

Melissa

Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
(male)

jayboy HB User

wow, thanks for the encouragement. I will give it a try.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
(male)

whosit HB User

I too am in the same situation. I am requesting a increase in the BT pain med, and feel bed for doing so. I did dtill make the request though and let him know what was going on and I guess that is the important thing. I have not heard back from him but will keep you posted. I feel that it is very important to have good communication with your doctor and that if you have any questions or requests concerning your medications or anything at all to address them with the doctor. Let us know what happened and how you are doing.

whosit

Old 10-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

OMG! I think, no I KNOW for a fact my dear sweet doc wanted to strangle me at first. I had the WORST time at the beginning. Sometimes it was everyday or every other. We still laugh about it. Now he has had to go work out of town for 5 months, home only on weekends, and he leaves my scripts at the office and when I need one, I just go in and they date it for me when I pick it up. No questions, no hassle. I have a wonderful pt/doc relationship with my doc, and Im very greatful. My pain is managable, and Im taking it one day at a time like everyone else. Its really nice to find something that works. DONT worry about your doc...thats what they get paid for, and they NEED to know whats going on with you in order to help you!~
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread