It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
(female)

kittencaboodle HB User
Well, this is a first for me......

I have mainly been going to a local "Mom & Pop" family-run pharmacy for my meds used for an on-the-job 'back injury' since the onset back in '98. I have always been happy to utilize this pharmacy due to the fact that they are extremely friendly, quick to fill scripts while you wait, know you by name as soon as you come in, helpful in ordering ANY meds they don't normally carry and always willing to order a specific manufacturer's meds that work better than their counterparts. Even though it is a good 20 miles from my home and there seems to be a pharmacy on just about every corner of each major cross street, I still make the round trip (40miles) each and every time for those reasons above.

Now that I've drawn out what should have been a short and sweet thread (sorry), I'll get to the point of my post. Earlier in the week I had brought in my usual scripts of opiates, anti-inflamms, relaxants, etc and as they were filling them they informed me that the full amount of my Percocet 10/325 was not available but was on order and would be ready within 72 hrs. They gave me what they had which was approx 1/3 of the amount and wrote on the receipt how many were "owed to me". That was fine and understandable. I brought everything home and reminded my husband to pick up the remainder 2-3 days later for me. Well, he brought them home yesterday and written on the receipt and the bottle was the amount that they "owed me" and should have, when combined with my earlier partial fill, totaled the full amount prescribed by my Dr. After counting them as I usually do just to be on the safe side, found there to be a 30 tablet difference. But instead of it being 30 pills SHORT, I indeed had 30 pills TOO MANY. In the past 9 yrs of being on these meds I've never had that happen. I've been accidently shorted a few times (from a different pharmacy) and been made whole both times, but never been given more than was written out.

Of course, my husband's first thought was for me to just put them away for a "rainy day" in case I ever run into a bind, but I immediately felt uneasy with that scenario. I called the pharmacy and told them I thought they had given me 30 TOO MANY.....and she kept saying "Excuse me?" And I again said it 2 more times before she got the meaning of what I was saying. After being put on hold for a few moments, she came back after counting what she had left and what she 'should' have left and agreed with me and asked if I could kindly bring them back in to her at my earliest convenience or if necessary, she could send someone out to pick them up. We brought them back this morning to her. I must have been thanked 10 times before walking out the door.

But knowing how nice the personnel are in there combined with knowing how 'someone' would have a lot of explaining to do down the road about the missing 30 Perc-10's, I knew I had to do what I did. It is just not in my nature to put someone in jeopardy like that. I know if it had been me, I would have wanted someone to do the same. So, I guess I just wanted to share with you that not all discrepancies at pharmacies are shortages---some, at least this one, was an overage. On a side note, the Xanax I filled was a partial fill as well and the remainder had 10 too many in it as well.....yes, I gave those back also. I just hope the pharmacist didn't make any major mistakes on anyone else's scripts that could be detrimental to their health. But I'm pretty confident that this occurrence was due to it mainly being a partial fill to begin with.

I know this is probably a thread that didn't really need to be posted and doesn't necessarily need any responses. But I just never had an overage of this magnitude before much less 2 of them on the same day.

Take care,
~~~Kitt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Well, this is a first for me......

Kitt-
Yes, your experience and honesty DID need to be put on this board, as it is further proof that there are still some of us CP'ers who aren't just "seekers". Most of us would have done the same thing, but there are some people who would have kept those pills. I applaud your honesty and am glad you shared.

I think your act of honesty will further serve as proof that you are taking these medications AS PRESCRIBED and are not in any way abusing them. It's becoming harder and harder for CP patients to have access to meds we have been proven to need, so things like this only help our cause.

I personally thank you for "helping our cause". Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

I agree with Ozzy. I am glad you posted this. I would like to think all of us here would have returned the meds. One of the good things about you doing this is...if 1 month they short you on your meds accidently, they will not question your integrity. I for one am very proud of you for doing the right thing and for posting this. Had this been a chain-store pharmacy you probably wouldn't have gotten as many thanks. god bless, morgy porgy

Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I am always amazed at the reaction of various store personel when you do the right thing. I haven't had it with the pharmacy but with a couple of stores that I deal with. It's like they are shocked. Nobody complains about being undercharged! Good job Kitt. Fred

Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

I had this happen several months ago. It had nothing to do with a partial fill. My local mom and pop pharmacy uses a "counter". I was filling 90 30mg oxycodone and 120 loricet 10/650. When I got home, I counted them as is my usual habit.

I had 30 "extra" 30 mg oxy's. All I could think about was how nice these people have been to me and how I would hate it if someone lost their job over this. I was in such pain that morning as my doc's office had screwed up and I had gone 1 1/2 days without my meds. But instead of taking even one, I immediately drove back up to the pharmacy with the full bottle, so they could recount them and give them back to me with the correct count.

It just so happened that the pharmacist that filled my script was the owners SON and he used to work for the DEA of all things!! Because of how they fill scripts, it definately would have come back on him and his own dad would have had no choice but to call the authorities. He was falling all over himself thanking me. I couldn't believe how shocked some of the employees I don't know well seemed to be.

I have been shorted before with another pharmacy and they wouldn't help me and treated me like I was some sort of junkie. But I know that if anything like this ever happened at my mom and pop pharmacy that they would go out of their way to make things right.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Good for you kit, Of course people make mistakes but you did prevent some suspicion being cast on someone in the pharamcy because they do actually have a running talley and know daily if their short or over. Only class 11 meds are inventoried this way. Very few pharamcies will even do a partial fill on a class 11, so you are very lucky to have such a great pharamcist and it only makes sense to return the favor. It's good Karma.
Take care, Dave

Closed Thread