It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
(male)

leebrown61 HB User
Wink Update On New Doc Visit From Lee

Thanks everyone for the support. The visit went pretty well. First a med student came in (which I did not mind) and just went over some things. Thak the doctor came in. We talked for about 20 minutes. He wrote me re-fills for my meds which I don't need until November 7. Will the pharmacy keep these on file?
He is tapering me off of the valium that I take at night before bed and starting me on Amitripptilyne (not sure of spelling). I start on 10 mg and can take 2. Not sure what this med is but he said that it will help with sleep and supposed to help with chronic pain. I have another appointment on December 13 and he wants to talk about starting long acting meds like oxy or "the patch". I don't know what the patch is but I am a little hesitant on these long term meds. They sound pretty heavy but he said that it would stop the up and downs of the pain and make it more stable. Overall, a pretty good visit. I think I might miss the valium a bit because it does relax my muscles around my back, relax me, and help me sleep. But the doc must know best. He also advised me to take extra strenght tylenol along with my vicodin and dilaudid, no more than 6-8 per day.
He seems like he is a good family practice doc. Hopefully, I will get the transfer that I have put in for to Charleston, S.C. Of courst, than I will have to find a new doc but one day at a time.
Thank you all so much for your support.

Lee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Re: Update On New Doc Visit From Lee

Glad you had a good visit.
Amitriptyline is an antidepressant that is often used for nerve pain. My hubby has taken it for years. The first two weeks it's hard to drag yourself out of bed but if you can stick it out it does help in the long run with sleep and pain.

Long acting drugs are a godsend! No more ups and downs like with the short acting stuff. I take oxycontin and if you can get part the stigma attached to it...it works great! At least for me. A lot of people here swear by the patch.
I hope they will post to help you out.

One day at a time is about all a chronic pain patient can handle!lol
We all worry about the future and what it holds for us and our pain.
Take care and hope this helped a tiny bit.~Mush

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
(male)

AlanVA HB User

Amitriptyline is an antidepressant. I used 50mg at night for sleep and pain issues with lower back pain and it did help. Take it about an hour before you are ready to actually fall asleep and it should do a good job of putting you out (might feel like it hits you all at once when it kicks in). You might find yourself a bit fuzzy in the mornings until you get use to it or if you miss some doses and start again.

My primary doc told me to stop using it (some issues with diabetes meds I also take) but for the few months I had it, my need for vicodins really went down and day-to-day pain was better. And like I said, sleep was usually a good solid 7-9 hours each night (don't take it if you only have a few hours to sleep before you have to get up again until you are used to it and know how you do in the mornings with it).

I liked the Amitriptyline myself - would probably still be on them if the primary doc hadn't said anything about them and had some concerns of them plus the other meds. Some people will take this drug for chronic pain (which is why I asked for it after reading about it for back pain) in the evenings and find relief during the day without the need to reach for the stronger stuff during the day which is what I found the case to be.

I started out at 25mg and then after two weeks, went to 50mg which for me seemed to be the "correct" amount to get pain relief (people who take it for depression I think do 75mg-125mg a day) - to the point that when the 'script ran out, I called and asked for it to be renewed instead of the vicodins since I was getting noticable relief from them and started to feel normal again. Could also be that I was finally getting some good, solid "rest" in the evenings as well and not spending my nights in pain or have to cycle between ice packs and vicodins and other things.

After about 4-6 months or so on the amitriptyline, the doc who gave them to me ordered blood work (guess there is a chance of some liver function problems due to the amitriptyline in some people) to make sure the liver was still fine and it was this lab work (the doc basically checked off every block on the lab form) which came back and while the liver was fine, the blood glucose was way too high and this was my intro to the fact that I was an undiagnosed diabetic which led to several other life changes.

Well, good luck with it. Think it took a few days of use with the amitriptyline before I noticed that my back felt better for the day-to-day stuff. I just remember one day of walking down the stairs at my office and coming to realize that going down the stairs and for the last couple of hours, nothing hurt where before, a trip down the stairs was somewhere between limping and actual pain for me.

A.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User

Hi Lee!

Thanks for the update. I am thrilled that you a great appointment with the new doctor. That's half the battle.

As far as the patch is concerned, it is very potent, but works wonders for chronic pain. If you look through some of the old posts, you will find a ton of information on Duragesic. I have been on this med for several years now.

One question for ya. Did the doctor taper you off the Valium? I have heard from rading other posts that this is a BIG NO NO.

Take care and let us know how you are doing,
Cpapp31

Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

Im curious why he had you take extra strength tylenol WITH vicodin... there is already tylenol inside the vike... why add more??

Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 AM   #6
(male)

leebrown61 HB User
Talking Taking Tylenol With Vicodin

Hi,
On my previous post, someone asked why my doc had me taking tylenol with vicodin since vicodin has tylenol in it. It got me thinking. I am not sure. I was taking Aleve but it upset my stomach. I take one 7.5/500 vicodin 1 twice a day and 1 4mg dilaudid twice a day. The doctor suggested that I not take the Aleve due to my stomach problems but that I should start taking extra strength tylenol. Take 1 with the vicodin and than he said that I could take up to 4 to 6 more during the day. Is this a bad thing? It is not like the tylenol helps any if at all anyway but I want to try something for when the pain meds wear off after 4 or 5 hours. At my next appt we are going to talk about long acting pain meds but I am hesitant because they seem to be so strong.

Hope everyone is doing as well as they can.
Lee

Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
(male)

jamesm HB User
Re: Taking Tylenol With Vicodin

You should not take more than 4000 mg of combined Tylenon/acetaminophen a day. For chronic use the target daily dose is 2800 mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebrown61 View Post
Hi,
On my previous post, someone asked why my doc had me taking tylenol with vicodin since vicodin has tylenol in it. It got me thinking. I am not sure. I was taking Aleve but it upset my stomach. I take one 7.5/500 vicodin 1 twice a day and 1 4mg dilaudid twice a day. The doctor suggested that I not take the Aleve due to my stomach problems but that I should start taking extra strength tylenol. Take 1 with the vicodin and than he said that I could take up to 4 to 6 more during the day. Is this a bad thing? It is not like the tylenol helps any if at all anyway but I want to try something for when the pain meds wear off after 4 or 5 hours. At my next appt we are going to talk about long acting pain meds but I am hesitant because they seem to be so strong.

Hope everyone is doing as well as they can.
Lee

Closed Thread