It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

Remard89 HB User
morphine

My husband went to rehab from hospital they converted his iv morpine to 30 mg to be given before dressing changes (stage 4 bed sores) they felt he was in too much pain so now 60 mgs. My problem is he has no idea im there or where he is. He is basically existing he is frightened and I have asked them to put him back on 30 mgs and the guilt they are trying to give me is incrediable but i know my husband past 15 months of this pain and they have him in rehab only 2 weeks now. He went in talking and lucid. His primary care says also they are giving way too much but has no pull there. How can I find information that his hallucinations, confusion are from the morphine not the new place.. thanks Mary he got 15 months ago Bacterial spinal meningitis and every complication Endocardis, ostomeyelits, bed sores, infections.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
(male)

whitfield HB User
Re: morphine

You need to confront the doctor responsible for your husband--explain that he is not lucid because of the medication dosage. Have him/her just monitor a little closer for the first few hours--see how your husband responds. Can your husband speak or comminicate with you so that you can tell whether or not he is in pain? This is a question the doc will want to ask you I think. I believe that you are the "Legal Guardian" of your husband and have rights regarding his care. Let us know what happens--Roger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

Remard89 HB User

Thankyou so much for your reply I have confronted the doctor and staff now for the past week. Wed there is a family meeting. I have told my husband he is getting too much morphine. He is in pain even if you dont touch him and i past this on to the doctor. My primary care wants him to call her so she can update him. Im so down over all this. He will have to go back to hospital soon for blood transfusion which will end this all but i wanted him to go back here its suppose to be highly recommended and everything else seems well done. Yes Im his POA and health care proxy and I told them when he is all with it he can make his own choices but till then its me. I dont think they even spend enough time talking to him to know he is not with it. He does respond at the moment with yes and no answers but anymore and you can see he is out of it. hugs thanks mary

Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Mary, if you don't mind me asking, how old is your husband? Are we talking about an elderly person or someone in their 40s, 50s, 60s? It seems to me that you have the right to question the treating physician about the kinds and amounts of medication that he is getting and ask for a second opinion from a pharmacologist or other professional with a pharmacy background to see what might be interfering with his cognitive abilities. To sacrafice someone's judgement and sense of who he/she is and where they are is a very high price to pay for pain relief!! Perhaps it isn't a question of the amount of the pain medication as much as what other meds they are administering that could be having a synergistic effect - amplifying the narcotic side effects by adding tranquilizers or other depressants to his list of meds. I would demand a sit-down with the doc and review (in black and white) the list of drugs he is on and going over the alternatives. The last thing you want is to see him in pain - and he will need pain meds. I guess you would want to rule out any long-term effects on his brain from the meningitis or his previous illness. Good luck - you sound like a wonderful, caring and empathetic wife....he's very lucky to have you in his life. Memere (K'mac)

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Mary (Remard89) & K'mac (Memere),

I'll start off with the shorter one to K'mac (I'll never get used to your newer name).

K'mac, you offered a great deal of advice, and everyone should read it over and over!

Mary, is there any other opiate that would be appropriate and/or effective for your husband? Sometimes, different opiates work better (like they did concerning my Mom and me)--and as others have already suggested in this thread. I'm "gonna" be seriously IRKED if morphine is the only supposedly 'strong' opiate that is given a chance when there are so many options!

Please keep us up-to-date--OK, Mary? As a group (and as various individuals)--we are interested!!

Take care,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
(female)

Remard89 HB User

My husband is 51 years old. I never thought i would be making these decisions at 48 years old myself. So far he his brain is not effected from EEG and MRI but the rest of him and who knows what else can come from all this. I only want them to go back to 30 mgs not 60mg. He was also on Klonipin and Fentanl patch 50mg (which they have stopped due to his sedation) He was fine 5 weeks ago talking up a storm with Tracheotomy (6/07) so in order to wean him off trach they have to stop suppressing his breathing. Im just so frustrated in all this. I actually have a family meeting tomorrow so i will ask for all his medicines and dosages. thankyou all for your moral support ;o) mary

Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
(female)

Remard89 HB User

The respitory head of the rehab came to speak to me today and said he agrees with me and at the meeting tomorrow he will also suggest back to 30 mgs. In the hospital he was getting 2 mg of intravenous pill form they went to 30 mgs but Dr doubled it to 60 mgs 2 times a day. My primary care called me yesterday she said this is the amount for hospice patient and was so upset she was calling rehab today. I dont know any support groups or people that have gone through what we have and its so frustrating. Drs and nurses sometimes think they are all.. I do hold them high up on my pedistal but I also feel I have a voice and its for my husband at this time in his life and they need to listen to me and not make me feel guilty. hugs to all mary

Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
(female)

Remard89 HB User

The meeting was a farce and he still is on 60 mgs 2 x a day and klonipin at night and wellbutrin (he was on cymbalta) any way tonight he was moved back to Hospital due to Potassium is too high and he needs a blood transfusion which happens way too often. Our primary care will get him all fixed up with meds and back on cymbalta and off 60 mgs to 30mg and hopefully the rehab will listen now. If not he will be moved to a new one. Its just so frustrating and i feel im so alone . thanks mary

Old 10-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Oh Mary!!! How I wish some of us could rush to your side to give you much needed support and a big hug!! You've done the right thing. Now you just have to make sure that the primary care doc changes the orders at the hospital level so that your hubby can get the fog out of his brain. One thing to keep in mind....in every hospital and in most nursing facilities...there is a patient advocate. You should ask the charge nurse to identify who that person is and get in touch with them. They should be willing to listen to your concerns and get the ball rolling in the right direction. I know it's hard, but don't let them intimidate you sweetie!! Please keep us up-to-date, ok?

Side note to Conductor - Yes Jon....the power's that be suggested I change my screen name. I chose Memere - which is the French-Canadian (slang) for grandmother. We pronounce it: mi-may with the i being the short sound as in the word mi-spelled. I'm so glad you are back!! Keep holding our feet to the grammatical fire!! I thought of you the other day when looking through the pages of a very obscure catalouge. There was a game for sale that was based on diagraming sentences...I just KNEW you would want Santa to drop that down your chimney this year!!! Memere (K'mac)

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Memere (K'mac),

The whole grammar thing makes me laugh so, so hard!! First of all...the only reason I pay such close attention is because my Mom is a retired English teacher. (As I think I stated earlier, I had her for 8th grade English where she placed me in the back of the room and as far away from her main area as she could diagonally! We have always gotten along well--even during those Middle School years, but she didn't want to show any favoritism to me. She didn't...trust me. I do not lie when I tell you that I received the highest average in her class at the end of the year. She didn't want to give me the award--due to the "favoritism" thing--but the Principal insisted! So, we have a particularly special bond due to that entire experience. I am very thankful that I had such a superior English teacher that year!)

This did help me, though. I took a test offered by our local School Board that allowed me to "skip" Freshman English if I passed the test. Apparently, I was an excellent guesser!! Two others from my infamous 8th grade English class took the test and passed it, as well. Truly, my Mom did a good jobAnd...You guessed it...This was all grammar-related. I've never, ever grieved for "missing" that entire year of Freshman English. All I had to do was simply "purchase" the English credit for that year, as well as pass the test! The three of us were all very thankful. If others knew about the test, I'm sure they would have passed it and been pleased to skip 9th grade English!

To everyone...I'm sorry to take up the space concerning this grammar thing. I'll do my best to leave the whole subject area alone from now on, OK? The last thing I want to say is that I expect a LOT from Santa this year! Also, has anyone else noticed that people say Real-uh-tor instead of real-tor? I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating no matter what the forum is!! Jewel-ry (versus the incorrect "jew-ler-y") ranks right up there, too!

Now...To the medical issue at hand: Mary, please hang in there and be the patient advocate your husband needs so desperately!! So many options are available...morphine isn't the only choice. I don't understand why your concerns are being seemingly disregarded! You are the only one who can appropriately explain the problems you and your husband are enduring. I seem to always say this, but PLEASE KEEP US UP-TO-DATE, since we do honestly care about your situation.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Last edited by conductor; 10-24-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Correct...Jon.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
(female)

Remard89 HB User

I could use a hug right now. John is over at hospital and i found out today the rehab doctor talked to my husband about DNR (which him and i discussed and DID NOT want was ok. My primary care thank God for her caught this at the hospital and called me right up because i battled her over this issue last month i told her it was up to God and John when they will meet and there is not a damn thing anyone can do at that time. Well that DNR was pulled to a Full Code now meaning they will do CPR. I was livid and called the rehab and told them i have a power of attorney and health care proxy on record there and he was not aware of this at the time and they said then i should have had a pshyc doc write this. well who knew i thought what i have in place was good enough and to pack his room he will NOT be returning to that hell hole since they did not take me into consideration knowing i didnt want a DNR and told them this upon admission. has had it... mary

Closed Thread