It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

stacyloryn HB User
Siatica

I have a large hernated disc. I was in the hospital for a week because of it. I couldnt walk.. Horrible pain.. I had 3 epidoral shots and now I have Siatica pain going down the right leg.. Can anyone give me some advise on what I can do.
The surgeant did not want to do surgery on me because it wasnt hitting the spinal cord..
How can I get fast relief? I am taking a medicine called Lyrica.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Siatica

did they actually do an MRI on you while you were there?if so,just exactly what did it state as far as nerve involvement?just becasue a herniated disc is not actually touching or affecting the cord itself,but IS possibly impinging or compressing a real nerve doesn't automatically rule you out for any type of actual surgical intervention to relieve that impingement.this caused you a full week in the hospital just for pain and loss of function,i would consider that a pretty big deal in my book.i would get all of your hosp records and see what your biggest issues are then consult with another surgeon,preferably an ortho surgeon.if your pain just cannot be managed in any other way and it is seriously affecting your quality of life,then surgery would be a logical choice.

but before jumping into any surgery you really do need to know for certain just what it is you are actually dealing with,down to the nerve level and also seek out a good pain management doc to help with the pain.if all that fails or things are becomming worse,by all means,seek out a surgical consult with an ortho surgeon.that surgeon you saw in the hospital is only one surgeon who obviously doesn't really understand how debilitating having nerve impingement or compression hugely affects ones life.even attempting PT could help,but it would all depend on just what is actually affected in your spine and how severely the affectation is.you just really need to seek out other opinions and try good pain managment and see how it goes.

all you have right now is just one single surgeons opinon and that is all it is,just HIS opinion.i wish you luck with this,but get your records from that hosp stay and see what the test reports state on your condition.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread