It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User
90 day Mail in prescription Question

My doctor wrote a prescription for 90 days but unfortuately he wrote it that they could fill it with generics. They carry the Mylan brand, Which means for the next 90 days I am going to be in a lot of pain and possibly withdrawal!!!! Is there anything I can do to get them to fill it with the brand vs generic? I appreciate your help!!! Pleaase respond ASAP as the order will be filled today or tomorrow so I need to oact quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: 90 day Mail in prescription Question

Talk to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
(male)

whitfield HB User

Call insurance company and see if they can use the generic Sandoz brand--offer to pay the difference--I had to do this also when they sent me the Mylan--I had already opened 1 box of the Mylan, so they only replaced 5 boxes (I always get 90 day supply) and the insurance company sends these by UPS--all other meds by regular mail--It was a royal pain, but they did do it--the difference cost me $200 about--I just gave them my credit card # and they did do it--This was Merke/Medco insurance by the way--can't hurt to call and see--Good Luck--Roger

Last edited by whitfield; 10-23-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I would call the Dr.s office and see if he/she'd be willing to re-write the prescription to read "dispense as written," and write in the brand name. This forces the pharmacist to fill it with brand name.

My only other suggestion is to try another pharmacy and notify the doc that you have done so and why.

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

I live in IL so the presciption is only good for seven days from the day it was written. I don't have the prescription in hand any longer. The pharmacy says they only carry the brand or the Mylan brand. Of course next time I will utilize the DAW but for this time it looks like I might be screwed. Maybe I can switch with CVS since they are owned by caremark which is my prescription. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Your doc might be able to get them to go with DAW over the phone. I had this done with a non-controlled drug very recently, and because it has been DAW before, they let it be done by phone.

It might be worth a try?

steve

Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
(female)

luvbnclean HB User

What kindof insurance, if any, do you have? I know for a fact that a lot of insurances, medicaid and medicare are going to give you generic whenever possible. It is a million times cheaper going generic. But if you pay for them yourself, then you are entitled to what you want.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

In my state(WA) all you have to do is tell the pharmacist that you want the brand name and that's the way they fill it as long as it was written with the brand name and then below there is a box the doc checks to say that it can be filled with generics.

Example:my doc writes my long acting prescription for 20mg + 10mg Oxycontin(this can be filled with or generic)but she writes my breakthrough for 5mg oxycodone so this one can only be filled with generic because oxycodone(not capitalized) is the generic name...not Percocet and such.

Did that make any sense? I don't know if the laws are different in other states.
Does anyone know?~Mush

Old 10-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

Can I ask, what is the Mylan brand and why is that bad? I think my med is made by Mylan. Why is that different from the brand name? I thought generic is the same thing as brand.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

I started off with the Mylan brand as well and you may or may not notice this but I sure did. Do you notice the first day you use the patch, bam...I would be great. Not a pain at all but I was also so wired and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. The second day, the pain would start to come back and by the end of the second day, I was praying for a new patch because I was going through withdrawal. Terrible...Now Janseen makes a generic brand under the name of Sandolz which works great Janseen is the name brand. Very even drug distribution througout the 2 1/2 days that I keep my patch on. I am afraid if I went back to the Mylan, I would be changing my patch every day and never sleeping ugh!!!!! I called again last night and found out that the previous lady I was talking too didn't know what she was talking about because they only showed the Sandolz brand available. How crazy is that? I am calling again today just to verify before if gets filled.

Closed Thread