It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
long term pain relief

I have been trying to come up with a long term plan to deal with my chronic pain from arthritis, post op fusion (lumbar), small bulges in neck, and tight sore burning muscles. So far, I don't have a good plan and would like some feedback. I do see a dr regarding this, but he isn't much of a helper. I have to kinda tell him what I want. This clinic isn't really a pain clinic-they don't deal with narcotics.
So, my previous help has been:
I got physical therapy a few times, never seemed to help. maybe it was my fault and I didn't keep up with it long enough at home. I use heat and little ice-the heat helps more. I have had some manipulation, but with the bulges and fusion I don't think that is a way to go, unless I go back to using the activator method. I feel my upper back out a lot and I can't get it back. I have done the TENS unit. NAda there. I have had botox, and really that is great. BUT, i can't keep getting this every three months! THe long term effects of amounts that big isn't known, it is expensive (well, out of pocket was only 100.00) and the first two weeks are hell, my muscles burn so bad on my traps I can't hardly stand it, but it goes away. I have lidoderm patches for that, but they are expensive too! 45.00 for ten patches! I was taking Ultram religously and decided to try the ER, but that does diddly.
I can't disclose my profession, but let's just say I hold life in my hands.
I really have stayed off narcotics for some time, but I don't know if I can! Anyone here take Oxycontin, MS Contin or other extended release meds? I think if I just take one in the am and one at night or just even one when I get up that might keep my Ultram use at bay (I take nearly the max dose of Ultram a day!. I just don't know with work how it would make me FEEL. I have to be on top of my game, I can't be in la la land or feel fuzzy.
Any thoughts, suggestions, what ever would be great.
Oh, I did have a series of ESI in my neck, the first day I had zero pain in the problem area, then it came back and the second dose didn't help at all.
Please, I really could use some direction.
Oh, the fusion isn't really all that bad, after a long day I might be bothered, but for the most part it is fine.
THANK YOU!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: long term pain relief

Oh, I wish I could help you and give a good advice to ease your pain...
I see you done so much to help yourself, but unfortunately not always work. I had my PT for 6 month after my surgery and than realized it does not do anything for me anymore.
My PM resently put me on Percocet Long release (for a long time it was every 4-6 hours). I like long release so much better, lasts longer.
I also take Keppra for neuropathy pain. So far my pain got a little better; the problem with this meds is body gets used to and than you need more dose to be helped.
If you are not satisfied with your treatment now, maybe you can go and see another opinion. I learned that good Dr never give up on you and always have something to offer.
Good luck to you, hope you will feel better!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: long term pain relief

Hi Mel. Haven't seen you in awhile. You seem to be doing okay and glad to hear that. You may have to work with your meds a tad to find the right combo that works best for you.

I am very sensitive to meds and it doesnt take much to cloud up the ole brain for me. Even tylenol 3 is too strong for me.. I am a ditz when I take that stuff!

So, we tried the vicodin and bingo.. got a winner for me. It worked even better than the morphine right out of surgery.

I am in the legal arena, and I too must have a sharp mind and have to be on top of my game at all times.

You should talk with a good pharmacologist about this and see what suggestions can be made to you to try etc. Or a good pain management clinic is also good to chat about this too.

Keep me posted.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Closed Thread