It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Dr. Pepper Update & Long Acting Medication Question

Acaptain asked for an update on my other thread and it has become so long that I will post here.

My pain levels have continued to be extreme since the nerve block. My primary put me on Percocet, Lidoderm, soma, and Prozac. Unfortunately, after she agreed to maintain my meds she left on 10/19 from the practice. Monday I see a new GP who agreed with my old doc to take over the pain meds. My old gp said he wants to put me on long acting meds.

I currently take 6 percocets 5-325 per day. Honestly, this does not always cover my pain but I am happy to have the meds and won't complain to much.

To make a long story short, I will be undergoing my fourth back surgery in December. I will be having part of my hardware removed, bmp added around the fusion site, and a cage put in to support the disc above. While my surgeon is in, he will determine if I will need another surgery the week to month after the surgery to insert a plate thru the abdomen to stabilize the spine. Right now it looks like I will be scheduled in December.

Do you think knowing that I will be having surgery that it is smart to move to a long acting med? I am clinging to hope that after this surgery I can get off meds -- maybe it is foolish thinking -- wouldn't it be harder to wean off of long lasting versus short acting meds?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Dr. Pepper Update & Long Acting Medication Question

If I were in your shoes I think that I would probably try and do with the least amount of pain meds you can before surgery. The amount of oxycodone that you are now taking is not really that high and if you switched to the same amount of oxycodone spread out in a long acting form you should still be fine. As long as your doc isn't actually upping the amount of the drug, they still have lots and lots of other drugs available to give you after your surgery. I hope that you can get off the meds after your surgery - good luck. memere

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Pepper u might want to consider Cymbalta ( see my thread on the subject )

i believe now that it works well for pain an depression, good luck !!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have asked about cymbalta but they refuse to perscribe it. I have had reactions to: neurotin (analphytic reaction), lyrica (joint pain), elavil (swelling), and palemor (facial numbness and swelling). They are concerned about a reaction with cymbalta. I would love to try it because it is supposed to help with nerve pain.

I am taking prozac and so far the only side effect I have experienced is sweating.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
(male)

acaptainn HB User

lyrica , is the only of those ive tried, i could NOT tolerate it

Old 10-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

Pepper - I couldn't tolerate Lyrica either, but I'm on Cymbalta and have had no issues. As a matter of fact, it is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Not only does it help with depression, it helps my nerve pain as well.

I was on Prozac for about 2 weeks a long time ago. It made me homicidal/suicidal!

It's too bad they won't let you at least try the Cymbalta.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I too could not take Neurontin or Lyrica, but have seen great results from the Cymbalta. There is a specific ingredient in the literature about Cymbalta, and it says not to take it if you are allergic to it. Unless you are allergic to that specific drug, they should let you try....with supervision of course. Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Tomorrow I see a new GP so maybe he will perscribe it. I would love to be rid or have less of this sciatica pain.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Diet, so sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. Hope you get some relief. My pain is the worst ever too. 13 months post op. I was in less pain a year ago. I'm up to 375mg of Lyrica. I don't think it is helping at all. I am suppose to increase another 75 this week. I've heard about Cymbalta helping alot of people too. Neurontin made me swell. Elavil did nothing. I take one or two Percocet per day. I try not to take more then that although there are days. I've been in pain so long that it is like breathing. Good luck with everything.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hope your doc appt goes well for you. I could not take Lyrica either, I had a bad reaction to it. I can't take neurontin ect... either for those same reasons. I have to agree with Memere about the meds. I can understand your concern with not having a tolerance to pain meds going back in to surgery. I would talk to your doc about this and let the hospital know when you go in. I hope you like your new GP. My GP moved in July and I loved her!!! I finally did find a new GP that I like very much now. Good luck with you today.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you. The transition of care is always scary. I have never had to take meds around the clock until my nerve block on September 5th. Instead of helping me it made me 10x worse. I am taking 1-2 percocets every 4 hours around the clock which is alot of meds in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Everyone os saying that they had a bad reaction to Lyrica. Can anyone explain what thier bad reaction was??
I'm taking it but the 1st week was unbearable....felt like I was drunk out of my mind. But that went away quickly. Is this the reaction ??

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #13
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

For myself, I was so sedated that I could not function. I tried to stay on it, but after a month I couldn't stand it any more. Even my narcotics never made me feel that sedated.

My doctor told me he has quite a few patients on Lyrica and only myself and one other patient had side effects that didn't go away within a couple of weeks. Sad thing about it was that it really did help the nerve pain. Now I am on Cymbalta for depression AND nerve pain and it helps but not as much as the Lyrica did.

Hope this helps.

Lizzie

Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Diet,
Question #1:
Did you Dr explained why he wouldn't put plate during your surgery in December? I had mine put in during my fusion surgery last year and pelvic metal clips as well.

#2. 5/325 Percocet is a very weak dose (at least for me), my Dr increased it to 10/325 2 month after the surgery.
Long lasting meds work better for me, feel much better since I don't have to take every 3-6 hours I am more aware, not as sleepy. Controls pain better for me.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Babs,

My face, tongue, and hands swelled up and I gained alot of weight in a very short time being on it ( 3 weeks ). Doctor took me off it right away, said I was having a allergic reaction to the med. After stopping Lyrica the swelling went away and so did the weight gain. I did have the spaced out and sleepy feeling on it, but I think that is a "normal reaction" to the med while your body is getting used to it.

Closed Thread