It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

anna12985 HB User
can drug test differentiate between oxycontin and oxycodone

are oxycodone and oxycontin the same drug

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User
Re: can drug test differentiate between oxycontin and oxycodone

Yes. Oxycodone is short acting and oxycontin is long acting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Yes, I second that response! Oxycodone is a drug that comes in two forms: long acting and short acting. The long acting form is called Oxycontin or sometimes Oxycodone ER (the er standing for extended release) the short acting form is called Oxycodone or sometimes Oxycodone IR (the ir standing for immediate release). But, the most important point: they are the exact same drug.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

So a drug test will only indicate oxycodone, and possibly a very small amount of oxymorphone, which is one of the metabolites that comes from oxycodone being processed in the liver.

steve

Old 10-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If i remember my UA right,i do believe it breaks down to HYDRO morphone,not oxymorphone?could be both?i am pretty certain tho when mine came out it was positive for the hydromorphone.

Shore?i know you know this one big guy.marcia

Old 10-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
If i remember my UA right,i do believe it breaks down to HYDRO morphone,not oxymorphone?could be both?i am pretty certain tho when mine came out it was positive for the hydromorphone.

Shore?i know you know this one big guy.marcia
I just looked it up again. Oxycodone hydrochloride is extensively metabolized into noroxycodone and oxymorphone and their glucuronides. The oxymorphone is only present in low concentrations.

Hydrocodone metabolizes into hydromorphone, as one of its metabolites.

steve

Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

wow,then why in the heck did hydromorphone show up on my UA?i never took hydro then or even dilaudid,which is what hyrdomorphone actually is??wierd.got the UA results sitting right here and it states hydromorphone(high amount even) on it.they(my PM) never mentioned it to me either that this was actually there so i figured they must have expected it.go figure.don't understand that one at all.just another strange occurance?thanks for the info steve.now i am really confused,lol.i just know without a doubt what i did and didn't take before this test.i will have to ask my PM when i see her next.too wierd.marcia

Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
wow,then why in the heck did hydromorphone show up on my UA?i never took hydro then or even dilaudid,which is what hyrdomorphone actually is??wierd.got the UA results sitting right here and it states hydromorphone(high amount even) on it.they(my PM) never mentioned it to me either that this was actually there so i figured they must have expected it.go figure.don't understand that one at all.just another strange occurance?thanks for the info steve.now i am really confused,lol.i just know without a doubt what i did and didn't take before this test.i will have to ask my PM when i see her next.too wierd.marcia
I sure didn't mean for my info to bring confusion. Just so you know, I got my info from the Perdue-Frederick web site, they make OxyContin and other oxycodone products, it was from their prescribing information. I totally agree with you that it is really weird for hydromorphone to show up on your screen if you took no hydromorphone or hydrocodone. I don't know if I'd bring it up to the doc though - I wouldn't want to introduce the possibility that they might re-think my results and whether I'm sticking with the program. Just a thought.

steve

Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

yea,i think i have to agree with ya there steve.i too looked up the very same info you gave in my PDR.you know,i looked up my other UAs and THEY state the OXY morphone,but that very first one i had done way back when does state hydromorphone.i am glad you mentioned this.this is how we learn new things.if you had not mentioned this,i would have just ASSUMED it was indeed hydromorphone not oxy.i knew i had looked and saw that very first UA but since there never has been any real issues(except the time i forgot to tell my PM that my primary had to Rx valium for my leg spasticity,my bad)i just never really looked at the others all that closely til yesterday,and sure enough,OXY.kind freaked me out there for a sec,ya know?i guess it pays to look at ALL the UA results,lol.thanks steve,marcia

Closed Thread