It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Do you know if we need a letter from Dr?...

Hi to all!

Maybe somebody knows more about this.

My father is not well and somehow I will need to fly to visit him. I have a lot of meds on me (between my heart condition, PK and others I take 11 pills daily) and I wonder if this OK just to put them in my purse or I need a letter from my Dr about PK?
Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
Re: Do you know if we need a letter from Dr?...

Moldova,

I'm sorry to hear about your dad not being well and adding to all of what you are going through. With regard to the meds I havent a clue what the system is like over there but I certainly would not risk knowing, or putting them in my purse........ I would make sure I am well covered with a doctors letter, outling the meds etc.... maybe copies of the perscriptions, the last think you need is some old you know what, saying "sorry cant take these with you" !! can you find out on the internet what the procedure is, or find out from the airport. I know now in Ireland you can only bring a clear plastic bag on board and only a cetain about of contact lens lotion !!!!!!!!!!!! my sister in-law got stopped for having an eye lash curler in her bag !!!! but nothing was said to the killer heels on her boots.... that would have done some serious damage to someone !!!!!

Round 1

Last edited by Round1; 10-28-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova, I am so sorry about your father. On the pain management board someone had a problem flying and they were actually pulled out of line and taken aside. They had a letter from their doctor so I would definitely consider getting one to be safe. All ended well for them.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Best to get a letter from your doctor and maybe something from your pharmacy, too? Hopefully you use only one pharmacy - that always makes everyone less suspicious in this era of ridiculously high suspicion. Good thinking ahead!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hi Moldova
Sorry to hear about your father. Make sure all of your meds are in their labeled bottles from the pharmacy. Don't have any unlabeled bottles with pills in them. A letter from your doc may not be a bad idea just to be on the safe side. I hope your trip won't be too hard on you.

Deb

Old 10-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

You all are so right and I will get a letter, better be safe than sorry, is in it?

When it rains, it poors, you know that. I have no idea how in a world I will seat for 4 hours in airplain (due to the neuropathy pain i can't keep my legs down more than 20m minutes and to seat still can't - back pain). But i have to do what i have to do, it's my father and who knows what may happen, he is 78 years old. I don't want to leave with guilt, not easy...
Thank you for your kind replies - greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

Moldova, Sorry to hear about your Dad. Put your Meds in a zip lock and make sure all the bottles have labels that are pretty current. That's what I did when I flew in January. They were only interested in matching the name on the prescription to my I.D. A letter would be a good idea for the meds and the hardware. I didn't set off the alarm on security with my metal. Had to take off my shoes though. Have a good trip and hope everything goes well. Take care.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Moldova,

A letter would be good to be on the safe side. Also, you could ask your pharmacy if they could give you extra pill bottles ( with your rx info ) so you don't have to take all your meds with you. Just a thought. I did this when I had to fly over sea's to see my Grandmother who is ill. Hope the traveling goes well for you, prayers with you and your Dad.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
(male)

jamesm HB User

Personally I think a letter is a little overboard. As long as you have the prescription bottles, you should be covered. I don't ever take my bottles though (anything from vitamins to pain meds) and have never had any problem. Always make sure to take anything important in your carryon, not checked
TSA is not allowed to question you about your medicine; they would have to get an actual law enforcement officer involved if they wanted to.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

What everyone has said is correct. If you go to [url]www.tsa.gov[/url] it will explain what can and cannot be brough through the checkpoint. I travel extensively, domestic and international and have gone through with quite a few of the orange bottles in my bag. One time they pulled me aside (for something different) and they weren't even phased by the pill bottles (he didnt even look at the label).

If you get the idea they are going to get sassy with you request a private screening and a TSA supervisor - that will usually thwart any "power trips" from the screeners.

I hope you have a nice trip..............

Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
(male)

badoldback HB User

It just struck me all of a sudden how INSANE it is that we are even having this discussion. We are afraid, with good reason, of what an airport security screener will think about our medicine bottles. What possible harm can a bottle of aspirin or anything else cause to the safety of an aircraft? Why are my medications anyone's business?
That having been said, I recently flew from Florida to California and back. On the way out I had my meds in a plastic bag, and they were out of my sight long enough to cause considerable unease. On the way back I kept them in my pockets.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Badol,
I am talking about strong dose of Percocet and Morphine... since this is narco meds, it can cause a problem. YOu know new rules at airports, so I just want to make sure not to get in trouble.

I called yesterday to them just to make sure. Operator said that non-prescription meds have to be in their original box, prescription once have to be in Pharmacy bottles with Dr's name, Pharmacy name and phone #.
About Narco meds she said: " Even though it is not a must to have a letter from your Dr, but I would suggest to do so."
She said not to put meds in a laggage since they go through ex-ray and can cause formula change (??) but to keep it with you in one quart plastic bag.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

And I would be very careful about carrying the meds and letting anyone see that you have it. Maybe a pouch that you wear around your waist is a good thing.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
(female)

Venusrose HB User

heck i wouldnt dare pack them, a screener sees it & they help themselves (not all would but u know some would either to get themselves high or to sell them)

When I started on percs my dr told me lock them up @ home even cause you never know which one of your friends, kids, kids friends ect will steal them

Id say carry them in ur purse dont take them out in public & i would get a letter from dr

Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Hi Moldova...sorry that you have to make a long airplane trip...but I do understand the reasons...we just came home yesterday...from Ma..to Fl...takes about 19 to 20 hrs. in the car...but, we had to go and make sure my husband's Mom was ok..as they had just placed her in the nursing home...after she took a fall and broke 2 bones in her wrist. I am a bit crippled up today...legs really hurt... I try to exercise them while sitting in the car...lift the heels..tense up the calfs...little things like that. Do you wear compression hose for the trip?? Might help..
I have flown many times...with my medications. I always put them in my carry on bag...ALWAYS.. I try to take enough for the trip, plus another weeks worth..just in case. I put them in the original bottle. We have flown in and out of the US...but I have never had a problem with the medications...like you, I am on some heavy stuff. My husband also takes several meds., so we are like a walking pharmacy...
I know it's hard, but its good you can visit your Dad...take care.

Leslie

Closed Thread