It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User
Prescriptions Class II HOw do they Work

I was just wondering do the pharmacies keep the original on hand or do they send them back to the doctor? Who do they fax them too? I was just wondering because it seems like they are faxing and calling and doing a million things like while filling my orders. So I was just wondering what the process was Thanks!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
(male)

whitfield HB User
Re: Prescriptions Class II HOw do they Work

I am curious myself,so hope someone knows more--But I do think it varies by state--for example, in Florida--they(the pharmacies) will not take a fax or a call in--The prescription must be original and have the drs DEA number--what happens after that, I am not sure--but no call ins, no faxes, and absolutely no refills--but I am able to get 90 days at a time for which I am thankful--not even sure if that is the maximum # of days, but I think so--will be curious if anyone knows more about what happens to the actual prescription.
Roger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i know at walgreens they actually scan the hard Rx into their system so they have the exact copy of it,after that,i do believe they have to send it back to the doc just for their records?i suppose this way the docs office can also check for any disrecpencies with the Rx ,like something added that shouldn't be there kind of thing?don't know for sure tho,just an educated guess?i canno't imagine them like sending every single class II Rx to like the DEA or anything ya know?that would be a ton of record keeping for them.i really do think it goes back to the Rxing docs.hopefully someone here who maybe has worked in a docs office knows this answer??it IS a good question tho.Marcia

Old 10-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi All,

Where I live, Texas, the class 2 scripts are now printed on a single, serialized, special script with the Texas State Seal right in the middle of the script. It's a very odd green color on front and white on the back (I was told because it would be extremely hard to duplicate). Also, the texture of the front of the script feels sort of like paper money, and the back of the script also has a different texture to it. It has something in it that's different from just plain old paper. Then, on the back there are 2 different other security measures. Also, the script is good for only 7 days. Also, no refills, no calls into pharm, etc. The only thing they (the pharm) can do is change the date, with the doc's permission if it has expired. But, it's my understanding, it can only be expired for maybe 1 month, at the most. I've had it done a couple of times, but it was only a couple of days expired.

We have had this system for a few years now. The old triplicates, where there was actually 3 layers of script, got to be too much for the Texas Dept. of Public Safety. Back then, 1 copy stayed with the doc, 1 with the pharmacy, and 1 sent to the Tx DPS. Now, the 1 script is scanned into a PC at the doc's office after he has written it, scanned into a PC at the pharmacy after you hand it to them, and then mailed to the Tx DPS where they scan them into a database.

My doc told me this because they have boxes and boxes (and many rooms) of old triplicates they still haven't hand entered into a PC. It's just too much, plus, it took up too much room. Now, it takes only a few minutes once they get the script at the DPS. It's also a better way to keep track of everything. I'm sure pretty soon, all the states will have something like that. With Texas, there are just so many people, that's alot of paper to deal with back in the "old days"! Anyway, just my 2 cents. Take care!!

Last edited by friendly_one; 10-29-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

IrishPrinces426 HB User

I know at my pharmacy the pharmacist has to keep all prescriptions for I believe 6 years. After that 6 years he shreads them.

Closed Thread