It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Saw my NEW GP

Quick background: I have been taking 5 percocets 5-325 mg a day for back pain and will be having surgery in December. My GP who was perscribing my pain meds left and my surgeon will not perscribe.

This morning, I saw the new GP and he was extremely upset about the dosage of meds I am receiving. He said it is way to much and he wants me to take no more than 4 a day. I looked at him and said well I have pain. He said no more than 4 a day. I said, well since my nerve block on September 5th, I have needed the meds for pain control.

He then went on this lecture how this level of meds are not good for you, how I will have to be weaned off the meds, etc. I then stated that I understood that and if I could be off these totally I would but unfortunately I am experiencing high levels of pain. I am doing everything in my power to correct the problem and am facing another HUGE surgery. He finally put me on 2 percocets per day 10-325 mg. for 3 weeks and then he will review everything. He told me to be patient with him. So I guess I have no choice but to be patient. Is he testing me???

I have to keep a pain record. He wants to know the dosage taken, time of dosage, pain level, response to the meds. Can you think of anything else I should include?

I did bring up with him about having a pain management appt within Kaiser and he told me that they do not perscribe meds ?? They will do a psych evaluation on me, make suggestions on pain meds to my gp, and reccomendations such as accupunture which my GP told me to try. Is this normal way to run a pain management center??

So I have no clue how I feel about everything. I am angry that I am having to fight so much for meds. I understand they have to protect themselves. I am tired of it all and just want to be rid of the day after day of pain. I would much rather be out there enjoying life than dealing with this mess.

Do you have any recommendations, suggestions, words of wisdom, etc.??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
(male)

acaptainn HB User
Re: Saw my NEW GP

SORRY PEPPER that he treated u like that ,one of the reasons they want a limit is that the tylenol part of the med is very bad aftr a certain amount , what they dont tell is there are meds w/ lil or no tylenol, it seems to be getting harder an harder for folks like us. my doc wanted me to take 1 perc
evry 8 hrs lmao ! they work at the most 4 hrs for me.
I dont know the answer BUT pm patients need an advocate imo .
Also DR,s rarely start at a dose that really helps , they build to it.

My advise is to stay in contact an let him know how well they work for you

( huggsss ) an good luck

Old 10-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

He told me to come back in two or three weeks. If I don't feel relief do you think waiting a week is giving it a long enough chance. I don't want to make him angry but then again, I am tired of hurting.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Pepper-
I too am so sorry your new GP acted that way. I thought I read on another thread that the new GP was going to be agreeable with the treatment your current GP was giving you? Did I confuse you with someone else, or did the new GP do an "about face" when he saw you?

Either way, I know it was frustrating to have him flip out. If you are only taking 5 of the percocets at 325mg of APAP daily, that's 1,625mg of the APAP, and from what I understand, ok consumption if your liver is healthy.

And, yes, many of us would gladly trade taking medications daily for a pain free life. Unfortunately, that just isn't always a reality for us. Many of us have already exhausted ALL other avenues, and have been told that this is what our life is now. I'm sure most of us would love to not have to deal with PT, ice & heat packs, TENS units, Alpha-Stim units, medications, walking canes, wheelchairs, knee braces, back braces, missing out on life, etc.

You are doing everything you can to get things straight, even facing another surgery, so it sounds like to me that you are not in the wrong here. BUT- we, as CP patients are pretty much at the mercy of our doctors, and when a new one takes over our treatment, we are forced to start back at square one most of the time. I think you handled the situation properly in that you didn't freak out and demand that he allow you to continue with what your old GP was giving you. That would have looked really bad. I know it's hard to be patient when you know you are in pain, but this is what this new doctor wants, so you have to try and respect that. I'm not saying it's right, but making a scene certainly wouldn't have helped your cause. So, again, you did the right thing. I think you did the right thing and have maybe shown this doctor you aren't just trying to get pain killers sweetie.

I do hope and pray that your upcoming procedure will actually help take your pain away. I'm really sorry you are hurting, and now being dropped down in meds. We are here for you. Take care. Hugs coming your way.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Ozzy, yes he apparently agreed with my departing GP that he would take over my meds. And why he did an about face, I have no clue. My old GP did say that he thought I needed to be on a long acting med. So I thought he would change me and was not prepared for this today. I guess he is just trying to protect himself and make sure that I am not abusing the meds.

I am about ready to ask for a stim implant especially if this surgery does not fix things.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Maybe his dropping you down could turn into a blessing in disguise as far as how your post op pain meds will help? I know, I really am grasping at straws here, because your surgery is still several weeks away, right? That means you aren't getting much help in the mean time.

Now, I can tell you that I've seen/read about people who are on the LA meds having problems with pain control after surgical procedures, so it may be good that he didn't switch you to an LA med yet.

I just wish I had some kind of helpful advice for you. I'm sorry......

Old 10-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
(female)

HappyFlower HB User

Why did he do that? Do the 10's actually last longer than the 5's? If he wanted you to take 4 5/325 daily and then wrote the script for 2 10/325 daily...isn't that the same amount of oxycocone...but how is it going to stretch for 24 hours?

I am so sorry this happened. I think you handled it wonderful..but it just is unfair to you. Yes, I know...life is unfair...but whoever came up with that saying wasn't in pain....

Old 10-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Pepper, I am so sorry your Doc did that to you. There is nothing worse then when you go in thinking everything is fine and then to get broadsided. You handled it great, I would have been pretty ticked. Hopefully by having you fill out a pain diary he's willing to look at your pain and help you out.

If you can make it until your next appointment with what he has given you, I'd probably do that rather than call. I've learned that things get real confusing when I call so if at all possible, I wait until I see the Doc face to face. If the pain gets unmanageable, then call him of course.

Good Luck!
Melissa

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

Dr.P....

I'm so sorry to hear your Doctor did this. I've been though so many fiasco's with doctors - I know what you are going through. I'll be thinking of you, I know you will get it all straightened out soon.

Wishes of no pain...

Tom

Closed Thread