It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

hadenoughpain HB User
Unhappy Had enough Pain but don't really know what to do!!!!!

Thank you all for making me feel very welcome to the boards. I wanted to once again see if everyone could possibly give me some opinions. I went through my physical therapy and conservative treatment as per orders from my pain management doctor. But he wanted me to try the nerve root block so, (Believe me I am willing to try anything) I did. The doctor that done the test only got one side done and then told the nurse that I wasn't a good candidate for any more shots. I have been trying to walk and do just like the pm told me to do and of course take my meds. But I was on this computer a few days ago and all of the sudden I heard a loud pop! When I went to stand up I couldn't straighten up at all. This went on for a few days so my husband took me to an urgent care station that is by us. Of course what was there treatment naproxen and another muscle relaxer and of course to rest in bed and do nothing. I can't rest because I am a mother of three boys. The PA that I seen said he thought it was another disk that had blew out. Not very reassuring. Does anyone know or even guess what it might have been. I am getting so gun shy about starting with any more doctors till its not funny. I am doing a little better now but I understand that naproxen is very dangerous to use is that right? I know I am going through depression still. It has been one year since my spinal fusion of L4-5 and still yet dealing with pain. Can someone please help????? Thank you all!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

betty66 HB User
Re: Had enough Pain but don't really know what to do!!!!!

I would suggest that you see a doctor to get an MRI ordered of your back to find out if you have any ruptured discs or problems in the back. Do you have a family doctor or neurosurgeon that you trust? That is where I would start, but sounds like you need the MRI to figure things out. I know what you are going through with pain. I have had almost constant low back pain with severe pain and radiculopathy in my left leg for 10 years now and have three teenagers, so life can get rather rough but I trust God to see me through each day. I am now going to try a neurostimulator since my back fusion and epidurals have not helped at all. So it does get rather discouraging and seems hopeless sometimes, but try to just stay strong and do the important things at home and let your family help you with other things that are hard for you to do with the pain you have. Please keep us informed of what you do about things. I will pray for God's guidance and His strength to carry you through these hard times. Best of luck.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I agree with Betty, you have to run and see your Dr.
I understand it's not easy when you have kids especially boys but they need their mommoy healthy.
Hiding your head in a send will not do good for you. You had a major surgery already and you have to be very careful how you recover.
Good luck to you, I hope everything will be OK.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

God bless you, I feel so bad for those who have younger children. See the doc, I suffered depression last year due to not knowing what was going on with my own body & felt like giving up, but I looked at my daughters & husband & thought they deserve the best I can give them so I will keep trying, I have seen more doctors then I can remember, but at least I am getting some relief after what seems like forever, in fact I will probably be referred to another this monday, I dread starting over, but I also want to feel better. So I will do it. As far as naproxen I had that prescribed to me the last visit to urgent care & I felt alittle nervous taking it. The best thing to do is call a couple pharmacys & ask them about it, & also your doctor. I take it when I feel desperate. good luck & hang in there! Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 11-03-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
(female)

hadenoughpain HB User

Thank you all for your responses. Since then I have been back to my pm doc and he put me on Kadian. First I didn't know what to expect now he put it up to 60 mgs in 24 hours. I can't tell much of a difference. He keeps asking me if my neurosurgeon wanted to do more surgery and I told him that he hasn't said a word since I was there for my six week check up. I haven't even went back for my 6 months because I owe him money. They won't let me see him so I am up against it. I am doing everything everyone tells me too and its still not working. I wish everyone on these boards could get peace and no pain!!!!! Maybe someday someone will come up with something for back suffers. Good luck to you all and again thank you!!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Glad you got appropriate treatment. FYI...Naproxen is sold over the counter as Aleve so no it is not dangerous to take in prescribe dosage.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

The only thing to be careful about in regard to antiinflammatories is that you do not want to take them until you know that you are fused. They will interefere with the fusion process.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Ann is right about naproxin being sold over the counter. And Dr.P is right about the fusion issue.

Basically, It is a great anti inflammatory, but as far as covering disc pain, it's pretty useless, imho. is the Kadian helping? Thats more in line with what one would expect to use to treat disc pain.

Good luck and let us know what happens. sounds like you have an MRI in your future. Make sure all your doctors are aware of every med you are on, even if something is avalible over the counter, it could still be counter indicated, so every doctor you see should have a complete list of your meds, even vitamins and herbal suppliments.

HTH, Fabby

Closed Thread