It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
(male)

SteelTownPain07 HB User
Just Started Fetanyl Patch.....Any difference between brands?

I just started a 50mg Fetanyl patch and I am having a difficult time with the transition. I am having osme withdrawal effects from moving to the patch and I was wondering if anyone else ever had any issues with going through the transition from the piils to the patch.

I have the Sandoz brand patch...and I'm not sure if the fact that it is a generic patch has anything to do with the fact that it doesn't appear to be working as well right now. I would greatly appreciate some feedback from anyone else that has gone through the transition from long acting oral opiates to the patches....and if the brand of the patch makes a difference. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Just Started Fetanyl Patch.....Any difference between brands?

I think it does depend somewhat on what kind of pills you were on. I know that the 50mcg patch is equal to about 30 hydrocodone pills or 15 oxycodone pills per day. I don't know if that helps or not. Also one other thing to consider is that the patch takes a good 8 hours to see any effect and it does not reach it's peak for about 3 days of wearing.

Also when asking about the brand name versus the generic. I know that people have better pain control with the Sandoz generic rather than the Mylan generic. I would definitely stay on the Sandoz brand because it is nearly identical in every way to the Duragesic brand. Hope that helps.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 10-30-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot to mention info on the brands

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Steeltown - The conversion depends on the amount of oral medication that you were on. If you were on between 67.5 and 112 mgs. per day of oxycodone then you should be transitioned to a 50 mcg/h fentanyl patch. If you were on 17.1 to 28 mgs. of hydromorphone, you would also be switched to the 50 mch/h patch. These are the recommended conversions from Janssen, the company that makes the Duragesic Patch. I disagree that you can convert your oral med dose to the patch dose by just counting the number of pills you are currently taking. There are many different dosages and it should be based on that, not the ## of pills. I'm currently coming off of the patch. I was on the 100 mch/h patch and the doc has titrated me down by going from the 100 to the 75 for 2 days, then the 50 for 2 days, and now I'm on the 25 with one more day left. Then I will stop. I'm very nervous about how quickly she has titrated this med downward! I am also on 150 mgs. of oxycodone per day. Memere (K'Mac)

Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MsKatee HB User

removing my post

Last edited by MsKatee; 05-12-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: old thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Goodgirl,

Just so you know, you responded to a post that was 3 years old. If you will check the dates on the threads you respond to, it will save you allot of time. I don't know if steeltown is still around, but if he/she is, it's safe to assume he is not a newby anymore.

bullymom

Closed Thread