It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

chiapatchie HB User
Unhappy Please tell me everything you know about LYRICA!!

For clarification: I take PAXIL/60mg...XANAX/1mg PRN...OXYCODONE**Plain-no additives**/10mgx4 per day...METHOCARBAMOL/1000mgx3or4 per day. Vitamins/B-complex/calcium.

Doc prescribed LYRICA(Pregablin) 50mgx3 per day.

I started it yesterday and feel like I'm having an "out of body experience"...not to mention a blistering headache today...and, still feel really weird today!!

ALL RESPONSES DEEPLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Please tell me everything you know about LYRICA!!

I was on it for a very short while but they started me out at 50 mg. a day for one week, then we upped it to 100 mg for another week, then 150 mg for week three. I was fine with the lyrica at 50 mg and 100 mg. I lost 12 lbs. in 2 weeks. YEAH!! Then we moved to 150 mg. and I started having swelling so we had to discontinue the meds.

There are several people on the back board that take this medication and you might have a better response there. I know there are threads in the archives over there so you could do an advanced search on it.

I hope you experience some relief from the medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
(male)

acaptainn HB User

I could NOT tolerate lyrica.

Some can an some not, cymbalta does work for me tho

good luck

Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I take Lyrica and am currently on 600mg/day. I do notice that it makes me feel tired and a little spaced out. I take 300mg when I get up and then wait to take the other 300mg at bedtime. The doctor that first prescribed in at the Cleveland Clinic told me that I could take all 600mg at night if it was making me too tired during the day. I never did try that option because I thought that is just way too much to take at once. It does help with my nerve pain. I didn't really know how much until my doctor wanted me to try and get off of it becuase he didn't think it was helping too well.

You may need to cut down on the Xanax because Lyrica does have some of the calming effects and the drowsy effects will be additive with the two meds together. You may also want to start out slower with say 50mg/day for 3 days then up to 100mg/day for 3 days to see how you do. Hope that helps

Brian

Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I was taking I think 100mg but was soooo dizzy that I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. Did not like the way it made me feel. Hope you have better luck.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

I actually started on lyrica and cymbalta 2 yrs. ago. I took the lyrica for 2 days and i could not see. I am glaucoma suspect and this stuff messed with my vision so bad. i actually had the makers of lyrica call me to discuss my side effects. I also had the headache while on this medication. I have actually heard great things about lyrica from family and friends who have tried it and i was kinda sad i could not handle it. god bless, morgy porgy

Old 11-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Alot of people have tried Lyrica, It is a strange drug. First of all I started on 1 dose of 50mg @ bedtime for several days, I did have the real tired feeling, it would come on all of a sudden, slowed thought process, some blurred vision, & could not remember things (can't remember all of it at this time), so I went off of it, the doctor said I did not give it a chance, so back on it I went. I stayed on the small dose till most of the side effects decreased, I asked to increase it by the smallest dose available, which is 25mg, nurse did not even know it came in that dose. I felt even that small increase. It did help me some what, took forever to get use to it. I never majorly increased it, I just did not want the side effects. I can't help to think because of being on other meds it made it alittle harder to deal with the side effects, I went off of it all at once & got major headaches(not suppose to do that, suppose to slowly go off of it), I stopped taking it because my husband complained of the way it effected me & my memory was not to good on it. I do know if my symptoms get really bad again I will try it again. I can't imagine being on it with all the meds your on. but If your doc. wants you to try it perhaps starting on a smaller dose & slowly increasing in the smallest dose would make it alittle easier on you. There was alot of posts on it awhile ago & they were very informative. good luck, Sammy

Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
(female)

chiapatchie HB User
Question Re: Please tell me everything you know about LYRICA!!

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for your responses!

By and large, though, I would say this stuff is a major trouble maker for MANY people as so many of you have indicated!!

I still have my headache...big time...and the first day I used it, my vision was really messed up, but, that seems to have cleared up so far but I did just take this mornings dose...so I'm not sure what to think for right now, except this headache has got to go--even my eyeballs themselves are aching!

Thanks again for all of your input!

=====================about 30 minutes later==========

Chances are good that today will be my last day on this newest poison--the side effects are beginning to set in!! Grrrrr....

=====================and,another 30 minutes later=======

Already forgot WHO said it, but, the observation "with all the meds you are taking..." caught my attention! NO OFFENSE TAKEN!

DO YA'LL THINK I AM TAKING A LOT OF MEDS?????? I am referring to my standard meds: Paxil, Xanax(PRN), Oxy(which I do NOT faithfully take as prescribed...often have over a week left when the next refill comes!) and, same with Methacarbomal!!

I just want your opinions because I have a lot of respect for your input...all of you!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

What sounds like alot of meds to some may not sound like alot to others, but it sure seems like you are on some meds that have some side effects that can kick you in the rear. Gee, I would probably be just staring off into space if I was on them. Just percocet alone bothers me, but we are all different. I did have a doc that wanted me on multi. drugs to try to get relief, but I just could not handle them all. I have to admitt meds. can scare me do to past experiances. I worry about long term effects to but I also understand pain & how easily it can take over your life. Sammy

Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

I was put on it for nerve pain due to damage from a herniated disc. I was only able to take 75 mg at night and nothing during the day. The nerve pain is so bad that I need something during the day so he changed me to Neurontin. I am having to wean off the Lyrica slowly first so have not started the other yet. I too had memory loss and extreme drowsiness even on that low dose. Good luck!

Last edited by deb53; 11-09-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:51 AM   #11
(female)

chiapatchie HB User
Post Re: Please tell me everything you know about LYRICA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
Alot of people have tried Lyrica, It is a strange drug. First of all I started on 1 dose of 50mg @ bedtime for several days, I did have the real tired feeling, it would come on all of a sudden, slowed thought process, some blurred vision, & could not remember things (can't remember all of it at this time), so I went off of it, the doctor said I did not give it a chance, so back on it I went. I stayed on the small dose till most of the side effects decreased, I asked to increase it by the smallest dose available, which is 25mg, nurse did not even know it came in that dose. I felt even that small increase. It did help me some what, took forever to get use to it. I never majorly increased it, I just did not want the side effects. I can't help to think because of being on other meds it made it alittle harder to deal with the side effects, I went off of it all at once & got major headaches(not suppose to do that, suppose to slowly go off of it), I stopped taking it because my husband complained of the way it effected me & my memory was not to good on it. I do know if my symptoms get really bad again I will try it again. I can't imagine being on it with all the meds your on. but If your doc. wants you to try it perhaps starting on a smaller dose & slowly increasing in the smallest dose would make it alittle easier on you. There was alot of posts on it awhile ago & they were very informative. good luck, Sammy
Thanks again for everyone's input...now I know it isn't just me-- since I have trouble with almost everything else the Doc has ever had me try.... other than the ones I listed at the beginning of this thread.

SAMMY, dear.....Other than 40mg/Paxil daily, I don't even take the pain meds as prescribed and always end up with plenty left over each month when the refills are sent to me again for the next month. But, I know what you meant, Sweetie.

I didn't get SOBER and stay that way for 14-15 YEARS just so I could later get all wrapped around the axle again on NARCOTIC PILLS! But...here I am.

AND...thanking Heaven for this place along with all of you wonderful, caring and supportive people!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I was on neurontin and it did nothing for me, doc put me on Lyrica, slowly worked up to 300mg a day. I take 150mg in the morning and 159 mg at bed time. I also take cymbalta 60 mg. at bed time. I had horrible headaches before Lyrica, I could not sleep, I would wake up with the headaches, to say nothing of the all over body pain, the burning in the feet. Since taking Lyrica, the headaches have almost stopped, the body pain is bearable and I can actually really clean my house without having the pain that comes with it. And, the good part is I have had no side effects at all, we are all different.

Sunny

Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #13
(female)

chiapatchie HB User
Question Re: Please tell me everything you know about LYRICA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
I was on neurontin and it did nothing for me, doc put me on Lyrica, slowly worked up to 300mg a day. I take 150mg in the morning and 159 mg at bed time. I also take cymbalta 60 mg. at bed time. I had horrible headaches before Lyrica, I could not sleep, I would wake up with the headaches, to say nothing of the all over body pain, the burning in the feet. Since taking Lyrica, the headaches have almost stopped, the body pain is bearable and I can actually really clean my house without having the pain that comes with it. And, the good part is I have had no side effects at all, we are all different.

Sunny
Sunny! Thank you for your input, dear.

Did you have to get used to any of the side effects FIRST???

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hey Chia, I did not have any side effects at all, so no, I did not have to get used to anything. It is quite a relief to get rid of some of the pain.

Sunny

Old 11-14-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chia, I do the same try to take the least amount of pain meds that work, hard to do some days. I hope you did not take offense to my post none was intended, I hope you get some relief from the Lryica. As I stated it took me awhile to get used to it & for the side effects to subside some. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 11-14-2007 at 05:15 AM.

Closed Thread