It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
(male)

whosit HB User
hydromorphone for BT pain

Hi everyone, as some of you know from a previous thread i was making the switch in BT meds to hydromorphone 4mg from percocet 10/325. I just started the new BT med today though. From the 3 doses i have taken today for BT pain it seems to not be that powerful as everyone was saying it was here. It almost seems that the percocet worked better even. But again this is my first day of it so we will see in the long run I guess. Is anyone else here taking it for BT pain? I know conductor is but at 8mg.......if anyone else here takes it please let me know how it works for you and if you were on oxycodone for BT pain before or what you were on if not. Thanks....going back to PM doc on the 12th and if it dont work well by then going to switch to Roxicodone 15mg for BT pain. Thanks for the info ahead of time!

Whosit

Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: hydromorphone for BT pain

Hey Who,

I hope you are not comparing IV Dilaudid (hydromorphone) with oral. The oral, as with any narcotics, is much less potent than straight IV, obviously. But, I've never had any pain relief with the morphines (morphine sulfate, hydromorphone, and oxymorphone, i.e. brand name Opana). This is just me, though.

Give it some time. It's only your first day, ya know?? IMO, the percocet did more than any amount of Dilaudid could ever do, but again, that's me. Keep us updated, ok?? I hope you are not in too much pain. Bye for now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
(male)

whosit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_one View Post
Hey Who,

I hope you are not comparing IV Dilaudid (hydromorphone) with oral. The oral, as with any narcotics, is much less potent than straight IV, obviously. But, I've never had any pain relief with the morphines (morphine sulfate, hydromorphone, and oxymorphone, i.e. brand name Opana). This is just me, though.

Give it some time. It's only your first day, ya know?? IMO, the percocet did more than any amount of Dilaudid could ever do, but again, that's me. Keep us updated, ok?? I hope you are not in too much pain. Bye for now!

No i am not comparing IV Dilaudid, dose is 4mg orally. Dose with percocet was 10/325 orally. I am not in very much pain, but can tell a difference so far with the switch. Switched because I needed something more powerful for BT pain and by comparison the hydromorphone is suppossed to be much more potent. i have done alot of research on it tonight and found that it is very effective when used IV but not as much orally. Might have been better off with the roxicodone 15mg for BT pain. I am going to give it until the 12th to work which is when I see the PM doc again. Only thing i noticed different about the hydromorphone is that it is much more sedating than the percocet is. Makes me sleepy. It does still help alot with the pain though so no real complaints right now.....we will see in the coming weeks though.

thanks!

Whosit

Old 11-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Whosit,

Yes, I take Dilaudid 8 mg and find it an effective medication.

However...My Mom finds the Percocet 10/325 (up to 6 tablets per day) more effective than Dilaudid. As was mentioned, the hydromorphone (Dilaudid) is supposed to be more potent. My Mom would completely disagree. I, though, get absolutely no relief from Percocet. I guess it depends on each person.

Keep us posted on this drug comparison. I'm sure many of us would appreciate your observations on this subject matter. I know I would!

Take care,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
(male)

whosit HB User

I will def do that conductor. i am sure there are others out there that would like to know how the 2 compares to each other. So far I find the oxycodone to be more effective in pain relief however I find the hydromorphone to be almost just as effective but with an added relaxing effect similar to sedation. It is great as an evening BT pain med but through the day it really does slow me down. The percocet didnt do that really. I am just starting it though so mabey that effect will go away after a few weeks or so as I get used to it. I will keep this thread updated as often as I have new info on the matter.

Whosit

Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
(male)

whosit HB User

was also wondering for those that take the hydromorphone tablets is there a difference in the brands out there like there is with Oxycontin? I am taking the 4mg generic pill made by Roxane. Is there a difference if I was to spring and get the brand name pills made by Knoll with K on one side and 4 on the other? I know with oxycontin the only generic that worked well was the watson labs generic other than that I have to take the brand name pills. Wondering if there could be a connection with these pills as well, that one generic dont work well and another does. If anyone out there has the same med then let me know if you have noticed a difference with different brands on this medication.

thanks

Whosit

Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Whosit,

Believe it or not...I don't have a reply for everything, BUT I do on this subject!

There is a generic of Dilaudid (hydromorphone) made by--and you better check the spelling on this one--Mallingkrodt (or something like that). My pharmacy used this on me one time, and it was an increasingly bad month as each day progressed! I never felt relief, and my pain spiked to unbelievable heights! In fact, I felt some pain that seemed to be "BPM"--Before Pain Management.

When I told my pharmacist about this, he stated that I wasn't the first person to tell him about this. He told me that he would always keep the Roxane version on hand for me. Upon future visits, he told me that he ONLY kept the Roxane generic on hand--unless someone specifically requested something else.

The Brand name works, but is more expensive. I've gotten into the routine of calling my pharmacy a few days before I need the Rx to let them know I will be in soon--with the Rx in my grubby hand!! I do this for the type of fentanyl patch I use (Sandoz 75 mg) and for the generic Actiq I use [Barr Laboratories, I believe]) so everything will be available. Again, this way everything will be in when I go!

Good luck with your continued efforts to control the pain you endure. It's hard work, and most people don't understand you are rarely--if ever--without pain!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
(male)

whosit HB User

I am taking the Roxane version but am going to switch back to oxycodone for BT pain. I feel that the 10mg of percocet actually works better for me than 4mg's of hydromorphone. The hydromorphone is suppossed to be twice as strong in comparison when taken orally(4mg of hydromorphone suppossed to equal 20mg of oxycodone) nut not in me for some reason. I am thinking we are going to go with the 15mg Roxicodone pill for BT pain. Might even go back to the 10/325mg of percocet I dont know it depends on what the doctor says he wants to do. Hoping to go with the Roxicodone 15mg though. Thanks for all your support though with the hydromorophone information though, it just didnt work well for me. That happens with some ppl...works well for some and then does nothing for others. I will let you guys know what I go to next though.

Thanks

Whosit

Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. My doc had me try both and neither worked well for me, but the oxycodone 10 worked better than the 4 mg dilaudid. I was coming out of the hospital after being on dilaidid IV which worked great. Anyway it sounds as if you've made your decision, good luck!

Melissa

Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I can't help but add my thoughts and a question.
Percocet has never worked for me - not one bit.
Hydromorphone does the trick, and I believe dilaudid is more effective than the generic.
I always thought it was in my head, but I have the Mck... brand and I don't think it is nearly as potent as dilaudid. Why is one more effective than the other? How do I go about getting the brand that really works for me?
Thanks!
Step

Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #11
(male)

whosit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbystep89 View Post
I can't help but add my thoughts and a question.
Percocet has never worked for me - not one bit.
Hydromorphone does the trick, and I believe dilaudid is more effective than the generic.
I always thought it was in my head, but I have the Mck... brand and I don't think it is nearly as potent as dilaudid. Why is one more effective than the other? How do I go about getting the brand that really works for me?
Thanks!
Step

To goet brand name meds all you have to do is ask for them when getting your RX filled. They are more expensive and sometimes the insurance wont pay for it but is worth it with some things. The pharmacist will sometimes give you some trouble saying you cant have brand name because it is wrote as generic and all that crap so have your doc write the RX as "brand medically necessary" and they have to fill it with brand name pills. hope this helps.

whosit

Closed Thread