It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

LdyNY HB User
First Pain Management appointment... so awful.

I wrote this in the RSD forum, because it also applies there.. since RSD is what I need the PM for... well, I want to hear fellow PM patients opinions on this..
-----------

I can't take this anymore. I can't take this pain anymore. I can't take this back and forth back and forth with doctors. I am just going to break down soon.

I finally went to my first Pain Management appointment. They won't fill my pain prescription, they 'don't like prescribing medication'. Well I must say, that makes JUST SO MUCH SENSE. "Hey Doc, the one thing in the world that helps me feel in less pain, make sure you take it away from me, okay?"

I'm not asking for morphine.. I'm not asking for Oxycontin.. I'm not even asking for VICODIN! I don't want pills to get high! My Tylenol 4's were the ONLY THING keeping me from going crazy with pain for the past year. Sure they don't make it go away, but a 50% change in pain?!

Okay so I understand you want to start the nerve blocks, Doc. That would be great..... if I could start them this year. Do you know how long it will take for Workers Comp to authorize the blocks? DO YOU EVEN ACTUALLY THINK THEY'LL AUTHORIZE THEM?! NO! It took me TWO years to get into PAIN MANAGEMENT! They have done NOTHING for me since May 2006! NO MONEY, NO ANYTHING, NO HELP... NOTHING.

So here I am again, at home crying because every doctor I see gives me the run around now.

I tried calling my Orthopedic Surgeon, who I've been seeing since I was hurt. He was the one prescribing me the painkillers each month until two months ago when he told me he received a letter saying he couldn't prescribe me painkillers anymore until I started Pain Management.

Gee it only took two months to get INTO SEE THE DOCTOR FOR PM! I wonder how long it will take for them to authorize thousands of dollars in treatments for me!?

So what happens when I call my doctor? The evil *****ic (God I wish she was reading this) nurse picks up the phone. I specifically ask for the other girl because when I called yesterday she even said to ask for her again today (She's nice, has a soul, isn't evil, etc). But the evil woman just keeps going "She's on the phone now. Why do you want to talk to her? Why do you want to talk to the doctor?" Giving me an attitude the whole time. So he's in a meeting and he'll call me back, she says.

Let's see... I'll bet $20 (Hey, if I had $20.. I'm poor as you can imagine, no pay since 6/06.. can't get social services help) she's not going to tell him I called. Or she's going to be like "Oh that patient is calling looking for drugs".

I hate this countries health system.. I hate this states Workers Comp system.. and I hate nurse practioners or whatever they are that have no heart or soul.

Will there be a day when I won't have to cry myself to sleep in pain at night? I just spent 50 hours awake with only a 3 hour nap somewhere in there. Yes, but let's wait 6 months for Workers Comp to authorize something they probably won't even authorize.

I can't stop crying, I don't know what to do anymore... My life is just so horrible and I wish... I wish I could just fall asleep, and not wake up again... not have to wake up to this nightmare.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User
Re: First Pain Management appointment... so awful.

I've had the complete opposite treatment from my PM! All they wanted to do was ply me with drugs and send me home! I can't even remember how many I wwent through and the shots that didn't work! I was finally told that they couldn't do anything for me and released me to my PP. I was grateful.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I am so sorry you were treated this way. I really don't know what this health system is coming too. Everybody is running scared from prescribing these meds and the treatment has gone to pot if it wasn't there to begin with. I've met a few of those nurses and pa's. I wish I had good advise to give you. Normally I'd tell you to find another PM, but it sounds like you are limited by the county and you've been waiting forever. Hopefully someone will come on and give you some options.

You mentioned that your ortho wouldn't prescribe them for you until you are seen by pain management. Did he want them to take over for him or if you see them for injections, will he continue to prescibe them? I know someone else mentioned that they see there PM for injections and such and their primary prescribes the meds. Anyway, just a thought.

Good luck!
Melissa

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Boxer, this is the way that my insurance runs it. PM does everything psych evaluation, accupuncture, nerve blocks, epidurals, etc. and provides an update to my gp who wirtes the pain scripts.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I would make a beeline for your primary care doctor and request that he write your prescriptions for pain.

I dont know how that works, and I understand that your hands are kind of tied as to who you are allowed to see, since it is workmans comp, but you have to stand up here and demand that someone help you, hopefully during this decade!

I am so so sorry you are going through this, can you request another doctor? that might help too. Hang in there, we really do understand, and care. Please please keep posting and let us know how you are doing!

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I'm so sorry you are in this predicament. Things are much worse for pain patients on the east coast then they are out here in the pacific nw. I, too, see my pm only occasionally. I go in once a year or whenever my primary doc thinks I need a change. My pm suggests what my doses should be and my primary writes my prescriptions.

My husband has been dealing with workman's comp since he shattered his heel 10/20/04. In our state you can go to whatever doc you want but you have to call them(wc) ahead of time and let them know who your main doc will be and that is the doc that they will let prescribe. My husband changed docs a few times and it was a hassle to get wc to listen and we did have to pay for a few prescriptions out of pocket while we were waiting for them to get their act together.

Do you have someone that can help you with the phone calls and such?
If I hadn't been around to get my husband the treatment and things he needed...he was in a wheelchair for 5 months...they thought he could make due with crutches but he had an arm injury too...he would have suffered needlessly.

Don't give up. I know it's hard but fight or what you deserve. Fair treatment.
My pm did make me jump through all the hoops and try all kinds of other treatments before he would prescribe meds. Have you tried other things...injections, tens, etc. I know you said it takes awhile for wc to approve such things but urge your doctors office to call and bug them. We had too do this to get my husbands three surgeries approved. Just keep calling your claims manager.

Good luck and sorry this is so long.

Last edited by trowftd3; 11-02-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

My heart goes out to you... this is so sad. On a top of you pain you get nurses who don't care, they rude and heartless. Not everybody though.
After my surgery when i called to my ortho office to fill prescription they would talk to me like i was a drug addict. And I am taking my narco meds only when I can't take the pain anymore. I have very strong pain tolerance.

Then he sent me to his PM Dr who did not care about anything: go to have shots and here is prescription. Oh, your meds don't work, here is the stronger dose. What a haven for a real addict, is in it?
I was not satisfied with such a Doctor and went to NYC (HSS) and what a difference!! I had to sign contract with a wonderful PM Dr who spends with me at least one hour and asks all this questions, evaluates my pain each time I come. But before I got my first prescription from him he reqired urine test and since it was good (checking for drugs I guess) he prescribed me my new meds, called a week later to find out if it's working for me and if I don't have side effects. And nurses in his office just wonderful,so helpful, so sensere - like a dream to compare what I had to deal here localy.

I have to see him at least once a month if I am OK and if not, just come right over and he will keep monitoring my meds. I was on Neurontin for a year, had so much pain and my previous PM never told me to try something else. I m blessed now, he prescribe me combination of meds which cut my pain in a half on a most days ( I still have my horroble days, but this expected). He said when body gets used to, we have to increase dosage or change it again.

I wish you would be able to go to a good Dr. I hear stories about WC and I can't believe what they do to people.
One question: why can't you have WC and SSD? This has nothing to do with each other. I know people on a board who got both... some lawyers don't know about it either, so you better call yourself to local SSD office and find out.
I wish I could help you with your pain.
I send you my hugs and best wishes, dear heart...

Old 11-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
(female)

LdyNY HB User

I actually can't get SSD because I didn't work long enough. I'm only 22 and you have to work a certain amount of years in order to actually get SSD. I CAN get TEMPORARY assistance from Social Services... but let's see... I'm up to my THIRD time reapplying!
1st Time: Woman I saw never gave me an appointment to come back for some kind of interview, they closed my application.
2nd Time: First, a new person checked off the box on my application saying "Can Work" instead of "Can NOT work"... then gave me 10 extra days to get the papers I needed, after 4 days I get a letter in the mail saying I didn't give those papers back in time and now I have to REAPPLY AGAIN.
3rd Time: Haven't even bothered DOING the application again! That whole process itself takes an entire day! My father has to keep using his sick time to drive me around places, because I can not drive!

I'm honestly afraid to call my Orthos office again. I don't think he wanted to keep prescribing me the painkillers himself for some reason. All I remember is that evil nurse telling me something about the doctor getting a letter in the mail stating that he could not prescribe me painkillers like that anymore, and that I had to start PM. She wouldn't even let me SEE the doctor. And I still never got a call back yesterday. I'm scared to call again. I feel like they really are going to think I'm a drug seeker or something (Even though, again, I'm asking for Tylenol with Codeine.. I'm not even asking for stronger meds, I TURNED those down because they made me feel loopy and did not help my pain).

My Primary Care doctor? Do you mean like my General Practionier? The guy I see when I'm sick, need a physical, things like that? He does NOT like to prescribe any kind of narcotics at all. My father sees the same GP and he's been hurt in the past, and our GP just will not give out painkillers. A few months ago, actually, I was having these insane migraines that were debilitating (I couldn't open my eyes or turn my head) and he actually prescribed me some kind of painkiller that was just like Tylenol 4, I don't remember the name.. but it had Codeine in it. That was the only time he's ever prescribed something other than an antibiotic or something.

Even my Psychiatrist, I have been seeing her for 5 years now for my depression (Which went away years ago) and my anxiety disorder (Which I do have still..). At times when I wasn't able to get in to see my Ortho in time, or he went on vacation, she would prescribe me the T4's. Now? She won't do it. She only did it maybe twice or three times in the past, but now she won't even do it once to help me. I don't understand what's going on? Why do they make PAINKILLERS if they don't give to you for PAIN?

Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
(male)

newarkde HB User

I am going thru the same scenario. I was seeing a pm doc (5mg ocIR) and was gttng meds, but I continually told him that it was insufficient and wasnt completely relieving my pain. For months and months he turned me down when I requested an increase or something different, because he wasnt a believer in medication. Then a friend recommended another Dr, I went there and had the MRI, Xrays, Chiro work ( there were billed as a one -stop shop kind of place). Anyway, I was given a script and my pm doc found out and cut me off. Now, I visited my family doc and he said he doesnt believe in meds and wants me to see a surgeon I alrdy saw, even after I told him I would not submit to back surgery no matter what. My mother recently had surgery that was no good. ... anyway, now I am in excrutiating pain and the one place taking new patients cant see me until Jan. I am alrdy dealing with depression issues and am taking 2 different anti dprsnts. I dont see how I am going to be able to make it until Jan. ....So,, I know where you are coming from !!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

the only thing I can do is second trow and don't give up. Most of us have been through the ringer and have had years of needless suffering until we found someone to treat us humanely. I know it's horrible as you are going through it, but keep looking. Can you travel to a different PM? I know you said your dad has to take you, but a lot of us travel to our docs and some even go out of state.

I really hope your ortho will help you out as you look for a PM doc and don't even get me started on why they don't prescribe. If I ever get well enough I am making it my life's mission to fight for pain patient's rights to adequate pain control.

Melissa

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

First I'd like to say I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain and cant find anyone to help you, however if I were you I would keep looking even if it meant staying on the phone all day every day until you can find a doc that will see you with your financial situation. Sometimes in cases such as yours it is not unheard of to travel great distances to find THE ONE. My wife was treated for rsd for 5 years through workmans comp and I did alot of research on this topic. At the time of her being treated (from 2000-2005) alot of the research I did suggedted that the only effective treatment was an opiate treatment plan. From what I understand alot of doc's now prescibe neurontin for rsd and I dont know how that works. My wifes PM doc at the time was prescibing her quite a bit of oxycontin a day in addition to quite a bit of fast acting oxycodone plus actiq lollipops, and that gave her enough relief just to get by. So there are doctors out there you just have to find them. She still deals with her rsd daily but she also now has a brain tumor and that is what we are focused on at this time. Good luck and pray about this and believe me he wont let you down.

Last edited by JoJo921; 11-02-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Wow,
Can I ask what cause your injury? Sorry, I havent read all of the threads from way back...Thanks!!~ I hope you find a doc that will help!~
xoxooxx,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 11-03-2007, 01:08 AM   #13
(female)

LdyNY HB User

My RSD came about because of two injuries actually.

December 5, 2002 (Yeah I'll never forget the dates of these incidents, heh) I was in gym class... senior year of high school. We were playing volleyball, and as I was in midair about to spike the ball, my friend shoved me from my side. I lost my balance and ended up landed with all of my weight down on my left foot.. Next thing I know I black out, hear a *CRACK SNAP POP* noise and I fall to the floor clutching my foot, trying not to cry.

I went to the ER, had x-rays done and they saw no broken bones... meanwhile, seriously.. it was REALLY obvious that there was something broken in there. Three days later I followup at an Ortho who does more x-rays and says I broke my 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals. He puts me in a cast for less than TWO weeks, saying that I should be fine. I get a walking cast and it still takes me a month until I'm able to put weight on my foot. I had more pain for months, saw a PM doctor who told me about RSD and wanted to start doing nerve blocks right then and there. I freaked out (I was 17 at the time) and began crying, scared at the thought of having these needles in my spine. I never went back to PM.. I dealt with my RSD for the next few years. It began to get better, never went away, but it was tolerable.

November 21, 2005 I was at work, standing by the register, putting a customers items in a bag. One of my co-workers decided to come up beside me and 'shock me' to get my attention by stomping down and crushing my RSD foot. Once again, I black out, see stars and fall forward, catching myself on the register. I hobble into my supervisors office, take my shoe off and see my foot has swollen so badly, and it's black..blue..purple and I can't move it. I call my father who comes to see me, and tells me he's taking me to the ER. I fill out my accident report stuff and go to the ER. They find no broken bones, just contusions, tissue damage, etc.

Well I haven't been back to work since then. I haven't lived a normal life since then. All because my co-worker had to be immature and stupid and do something like that to me. Albeit, she didn't know I had RSD (I was too afraid to bring it up when I first got that job... It's a job that involved being on your feet for all 40 hours a week, I didn't want them to think I couldn't do it.).. but still, who just does something like that?

So pretty much my first injury never healed, I developed RSD... it started to get better, and then the second injury just reversed everything and made it even worse than it was when I broke the three bones originally.

I had a very bad day yesterday... for some reason, my pain was flaring up worse than usual. And something else strange... I have the most horrible pain in my lower back, buttocks and thighs. They feel kind of like muscle spasms, or it feels like I just ran a mile or did some kind of vigorous exercise. This happens usually around my period and maybe once or twice a month randomly.. Never figured out what it is.

All I know is, aside from my foot hurting... I'm dealing with this strange pain in my back/butt/thighs AND an infection in my mouth from having my wisdom teeth pulled last week which ALSO made my TMJ disorder flare up also... In addition to my thyroid/hormone problems.. I haven't even been able to get out of bed and go to the hospital to get the blood tests I need done to check if I have Cushing's Syndrome!

This is why I told the PM doctor I saw that even though the pain medication doesn't 100% help, it ALLOWS me to get up out of bed and do things like go food shopping... do my laundry... maybe go see a movie... go to doctors and other important things. I can't do any of that now. My foot is burning up and throbbing right now. I just woke up at 3:30AM in pain, and I have nothing to help. This is just not right.. I'm sorry for rambling, but no one I know can really relate to me because they are not in chronic pain. None of my friends even have ONE health problem, meanwhile I have a neverending list of problems with me, at only 22 years old!

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful advice. I'm going to spend the weekend thinking about what I should do and what I have to do.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
(female)

Ladybug46 HB User

Hi, I know what it is to feel like you are at your wits end. How many tablets were you taking a day, and for how long? Sounds like ya might be going thru withdrawals too??? Please, calm down before going to another doc, or ya might get labeled as a specific drug seeker to the nurses and docs. They have heard it all, and the nurses alot of times are doing and saying what the docs tell them to do, and then some of them are just on a power trip. imo.

sure hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
(female)

jennifer3063 HB User

JOJO921, So sorry for your wife's double wammy...RSD and a Brain Tumor on top of that, and us RSD sufferers think that we have it bad...can it get much worse for your family. I just wanted you to know that I am praying for your family and hope everything turns out for you and yours. Best wishes, J.

Closed Thread