It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
Pain doc wants to burn a nerve in my lumbar to prevent pain

Has anyone heard of this. He didn't go into much detail. he just said he could burn it and that would prevent my pain. Sounds to easy. Can anyone explain the procedure and the success rate. I had a charite disc replacement that failed and this is what he suggested. Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Pain doc wants to burn a nerve in my lumbar to prevent pain

Hey Jay, He's talking about nerve ablation,it's nothing new and has been done for decades. It's either done with radio frequency called RFA "radio frequency ablation" or it's done with chemicals, I believe Phenol. There are lots of spine sites that will explain the procedure. I would recomend doing the research yourself rather than basing your decsion on a few peeps good or bad experiences with the procedure. People that have had success aren't still on the net posting about how great it worked to give you positive feedback, they have moved on with their lives. Asking people still searching for answers will get you a very biased opinion. Not all Charite discs have failed, but if someone were to ask you, your advice wouldn't be too positive even though ADR's have brought relief to thousands.

Have you had a succesful nerve block that leads him to believe destroying the nerve will provide longer lasting relief? Confidence in the doc makes a huge difference too. There is a local doc that's been involved in ADR's since the 90's and was part of the original development and clinical trials and there are docs that learned to do the procedure over a weekend, who would you want performing the procedure? An anesthesiologist that does interventional procedures on a daily basis or a physiatrist that sees them as a good revenue builder for his practice that's trying to recoup his cost for a weekend of training and his investment on equipment.

Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
(female)

yorkieloveroo7 HB User

Its called a rhizotomy what your doctor wants you to get, i had it done a year ago and it helped me alot, i'm having it done again in a month because some of the pain is back and my deductible is met and i don't want to miss out on this, its expensive but i was able to go to work the next day with just being a bit sore. i laid on my stomache and they had a iv on me and i was out and they did the nerve block, i guess it can take several times to really get the nerve all burned so i'm all for it, good luck

Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
(male)

acaptainn HB User

ive had some burned some wprked an some dint,the one that did work had to be redone about 8mos later,, but it relieved the pain agin as it did b4

Old 11-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

Missy14 HB User

To Shoreline Dave,
What a true perspective that more people need to think about. Those who had positive experiences and are well are not on these boards nearly as often so the positive experience isn't well represented.

thanks for giving that insight - should have been obvious but, it wasnt

Closed Thread