It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lavenderlily13 HB User
My Vicodin RX bottle says *must last 30 days*

Hey everyone, I haven't been around much in the past couple months, I have been super busy with my kids (8 & 14 years old) the begining of each school year seems to get more hectic!
So my most recent problems began when I was referred to a new doc to take over for my old one after the board of directors at his clinic decided he was being too generous with his opiate prescribing practices and they made him turn over his patients to other docs.
After years of rediculous hoop jumping at the PM clinic and doctors who were afraid to write a script, I had finally found a compassionate doctor who never made me worry about getting refills when I needed them, and said he knew I wasn't abusing them and he trusted me. I was with him for a little over a year and it was the biggest relief to not be treated like some kind of Junkie for a change.
So he's yanked out from under me, and the knew doc started a systematic reduction of my meds and wanting me to have unnecesary procedures and all the junk I had finally stopped having to deal with. I only take my meds when I absoultely need them, and have never used them to get a "high" or anything like that. I have endometriosis which can be incredibly painful depending on the month, some are pretty good, and some are horrible. Now this new doc has cut my dosage down to 50 caps per 30 days. I am trying my damndest to make that work, but it's rotten that I have to be afraid to take a pill in case the end of the month comes and I might run out. I have met with this new doc three times now in the five months since this change and he could care less about my suffering, and is clearly just trying to prove his ablility to reduce the numbers without regard to the consequences of my quality of care. How can this happen? Any replies are appreciated, thanks for the chance to vent...

~~ lily

Last edited by lavenderlily13; 11-03-2007 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: My Vicodin RX bottle says *must last 30 days*

lily,

I really think it's time for a new doc, if that's possible. Can you change clinics or docs? I sure hope so. If the board was unenlightened enough to move a good and compassionate doc out of prescribing adequate doses for chronic pain patients, then you need to look elsewhere. They just apparently don't grasp the basics of good pain management.

I'm really hoping you can find a more compassionate and enlightened doc.

steve

Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(male)

cajunboy HB User

lily,

I definitely agree with Steve. I think if polled you would find that many, if not most of us here, have had to go through a number of docs before finding someone who is willing to treat our pain ADEQUATELY. If this new doctor is an indication of the "policy" of their practice/clinic, then you can clearly see the handwriting on the wall .... it will be a constant battle to get proper treatment and medications.

Additionally, many I am sure have found themselves in a situation where their doc retires, moves, etc. where they are in the same dilemna, finding a new doc. What a suffering that is in itself .... but, persevere, as there is someone out there willing to help you. You just may have to go through a few before you find him or her.

When I read posts like yours, it just burns my ____, that some docs are unwilling to use the tools at their disposal, as well as their skills and responsibility, to help reduce the suffering of others. However, my PM doc has told me some pretty incredible stories of how he has been taken advantage of by drug seeking patients which tend to make them very cynical. I am certainly not implying this in your case, but I can somewhat understand how some PM docs become cynical. They just need to stop GENERALIZING, and assuming that all patients are out for a drug high, and remember that their practice is for the very purpose of helping individuals control their pain so that they have some measure of a quality of life.

Hang in there, as many here can relate, and may God bless you with a caring doctor willing to give you proper treatment without delay.

cb

Old 11-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lavenderlily13 HB User

Hey thanks guys, that sounds like good advice. I'm afraid it may be easier said than done, though...since I moved to the mid-west from California a few years ago, I have been to see MANY doctors, and found them all to be very conservative in their prescriptions of opiates. I never ran into that before when I lived on the west coast.

I happened to meet a sweet lady at a garage sale who told me about the doctor I was seeing before his board gave him a hard time. Having the name of ANY doctor in my area who would prescribe without hassles was like winning the lottery.

How do you suggest I find someone else without being perceived as 'doctor shopping'? I do have an apt with the original nice doc in a couple of weeks for a routine exam, and I am hoping he can offer some suggestions, but I think that in this situation his hands may be tied...

thanks again

Old 11-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I think your best hope is in your coming visit with the doc that was helping you before (the compassionate one). Hopefully he can give you a referral or some other means to your solution. He's probably shaken over what's happened with his practice, but my money's on him that he's still got a good heart and will want to help you.

Please let us know how that appointment goes.

steve

Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Most doctors think in amounts, so he's thinking, 50 sounds like a lot to me, I will make that the most I will give.

Try asking him how many a day he would want you to take, He may be surprised to realize he didnt even give you enough to take 2 pills a day. Ask if 3 a day are too many, if not, at least you will have 90 per month. Thats what I get.

If he wont even allow 3 per day, then its obvious you arent going to get anywhere with him, med wise, and its time to start looking for another doctor.

Good luck and please keep posting and let us know how it turns out.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 11-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Lavenderlily13,

To what Steve, CB, and Fabby have suggested: AMEN & AMEN!!

You do, in fact, seem "under-medicated"--but you need a doctor to make that determination. As for your upcoming appointment, be upfront and honest. I do not understand how a "board of directors" can make a blanket type of statement that "everyone" (practically) is being Rx'd too many opiates. There's a word for this (several, actually). But, none of them are tasteful.

My Internal Medicine Doctor Rx's my Pain medication. Right across the street from her office is one of the three Pain Management Clinics in our county. She completely understands the difficulties involved in dealing with these types of places.

Lavenderlily13, we want to see you obtain the relief you deserve. So, please let us know.

Take care,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 11-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lavenderlily13 HB User

Hey thanks you guys, I can't tell you how much it means to me to have some support from people who know what a difficult situation this can be.

I keep telling myself I am lucky and it could be so much worse, I have a good friend who has suffered from Fibromialgia and Breast Cancer. She just had a complete mastectomy a few months ago, and is going through chemo, and she can't get any of her docs to give her any real amount of meds to get pain relief. It's so sad. I do understand that there are folks out there who abuse the system, but shouldn't docs be able to tell the difference, my God, who gets cancer so they can be doped up!!

I really hope this pendulum swings back the other way before too many others have to suffer more than necessary. Thanks again for listening, I'll let you all know how it goes. You guys are awesome!!

~~ lily

Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

It's sad they do that. I've learned you have to almost play their game. Most days I only take one Percocet at night. If unbearable I will take during the day but I take Ampetamines for Narcolepsy and in the back of my mind I am afraid they will interact. They don't though. So the dr. gives me 60 per month. I don't tell him I only take one because I am afraid he will make it 30per month and if I needed more I would be out of luck. But, I am very lucky that he never questions me. He said he will give me whatever I need because he can't tell me how much pain I am in. I assume if I had asked for alot then he would worry. It is really his office I hate dealing with. He tells me just call and they will mail me a prescription or I can pick up. I told him that his receptionist makes me feel like I am a drug seeker when I call. He said too bad with her. He said I need them and that is it. Last time I went in and sat there and hour to see him because he was backed up. He told me to call next time and not waste my time sitting there. So I think I am very lucky. But, even if I do not run out after 30 days I call for another prescription. I'm always afraid I will run out and it will take forever for a refill. It has at times take forever and I had gone without a few days. So they almost make you hoard the pills whether you need or not. I had to count them the other day because I can't get more until NOvember 14th. So if I take two a day I will have enough. The pain has been much worse with sciatica that I've been taking two at night. Will see what the pain management people say. Sometimes I think they are in for the money. They don't even waste their time with a consultation. They make your dr. fax your records first and they review. If they like what they see in the records they call you to come in. We will see. Hope you feel better. Maybe you should sit down with your dr. and explain it all to him. You probably did already. Why does it all have to be so hard?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lavenderlily13 HB User

I guess it all comes down to us having to pay the price for those who abuse pain killers, and Doctors who want to prevent us from doing permanant damage to our livers, at least that was the reason my new doc gave me for wanting to decrease my dosage. I doubt that is his real reason, but it may have some truth to it. The thing that bothers me is that he has never suffered with chronic pain so how can he make decisons about how I feel and how much relief I need in order to function? thanks for listening guys!!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessie28 View Post
It's sad they do that. I've learned you have to almost play their game. Most days I only take one Percocet at night. If unbearable I will take during the day but I take Ampetamines for Narcolepsy and in the back of my mind I am afraid they will interact. They don't though. So the dr. gives me 60 per month...
Actually, the amphetamine can work to make the Percocet a better pain killer. When taken together, the amphetamine is called an adjuvant, meaning it makes the Percocet more "potent." My pain doc prescribed Dexedrine for me to take along with the narcotic pain med, both for the sleepiness and as an adjuvant to the narcotic.

steve

Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
(female)

mzpain HB User

Lily,
I am soooo sorry they put you through their crap, but I have been a chronic pain patient for 5years and I have some real horror stories and I bet most all longtime CPers have at least a couple. So unfortunately this is how your life is now and you just have to accept it and deal with the blows the best way you can, it's a harsh reality in the life of a chronic pain patient. Like Steve I take Dexedrine but mine is for ADD and in the beginning my psychiatrist asked me if the dex increased my pain because he said it could but I read a cancer pain med guide years ago that basically described the general uses for all the major pain meds and it said that Dexedrine could be prescribed to counter act the sleepiness of other meds and that it also made the pain meds work better, I notice the little bit of extra help it does, especially when I DON'T take it that is how I realize how much it does help. It's a little bit better with than without but nothing major.
Oh I want to tell ya about one of my worst docs and the rite aid pharmacist I almost assaulted (but I didn't want to hurt myself). Anyway, my doc put on my written script "must last 30 days" and I had been going ONLY to this one rite aid for almost a year and they knew me very well, I liked them because I could turn my scripts in at any hour (I also paid FULL price for them). I had forgotten to turn my script in before a camping trip and had just gotten back into town (it was 12:30AM ish) and turned in the script that said the 30 day thing, and I came back in after about 20 - 25 min. and the change in this pharmacist that I had known for almost a year was shocking! He had looked up my previous script and it was for every two weeks (for about the previous 3 months every 2 wks.) but since the doc cut me in half and now was good for 30 days he said I had to wait 30 days from the last script, I tried to explain that the doc wouldn't have given me a script now if I couldn't fill it for another 2wks, he didn't care, I explained I had forgotten to turn in and had just gotten back into town and would be without, he didn't care, well needless to say he was treating me like a drug seeker when he had known me for a year and I took back the script and filled it else where, funny thing I got it filled down the street at Walgreen's and I hadn't been there in over 6 months but they had NO problem filling it. That horror story was from over a year and 1/2 ago, now I have a doc that is perfect in so many ways EXCEPT he cant count and REFUSES tocheck himself by counting days individually, and if I take my meds EXACTLY as instructed I have to go without 1 to 2 days depending on how stupid he is when he writes the script, but he doesn't hesitate to order any test needed or send me back to the surgeon for consult when needed. I don't know, I am pretty ticked off at this situation and I feel Pain patients should have doctors sign a contract that if we do what we are required they HAVE to follow a particular protocol too. Oh well this is too long already, sorry, I agree with the rest you need to look for a new doc but I understand how hard that is and I would deal with the one ya got as you look for the new one, word of mouth is your best bet as you have already found out. Have A Painless Day!
Mzpain

Last edited by mzpain; 11-05-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: mistake

Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

lavenderlily13 HB User

Hey Mz,

Thanks for telling your story, you made me chuckle, which is really the only way we can stay sane dealing with this stuff, right? It definately beats sitting around and obsessing, and being angry about things we can't control.

I'm going to take your guys advice and start considering a new doctor depending on what my old doc says when I meet with him on Monday. Since he was the one who referred me out to his 'colleague', when I tell him what's been going on, I hope he can help...I think he has already pushed a couple re-fills through for me, because a couple of times his name was on my rx bottle in the past couple months. I think he covers scripts for the other doc when he's out of the office, so it could be a timing thing. Maybe I'll just have to get better at playing the game...

Anyhow, the past couple of days my pain hasn't been too bad, so I'm hanging in there. Take it easy, I'll post later

~~ lily

Closed Thread