It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Unhappy Having BAD PAIN DAY :(

Ok people I am having a really bad pain day and need to vent for a minute. I also wanted to fill all of you in on my progress with the medication specifically Ultram. I did start on the Prozac on Saturday and noticed my mood improving and the fog lifting almost immediately. I know doctor's say it can't happen that fast but it did. I am not hardly drowsy at all in fact I quite alert and probably could significantly cut down on coffee (which I was using just to stay awake).

However, my pain has been bad the last couple of days and it feels like the nerve pain is traveling. The entire bottom of both feet are tingling and "pulsating" which is not very painful but is very annoying. I am scared the the neuropathy is getting worse and traveling. I am down to 2/day on the Ultram and holding. I visit my doctor on Friday and will see how I am curretnly doing then. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am currently taking:
37.5 mcf fentanyl patch
600 mg Lyrica
100 mg Ultram
1500 mg Trileptal
3900 mg Tylenol.
20mg Prozac

I am trying to get off of the Ultram if the Prozac is going to keep me from suffering severe depression from withdrawal of the Ultram. Any suggestions on adjusting or adding a particular medication would be helpful. I should tell you that I have neuropathic pain in both feet and had chronic pain since May 2003.

Brian

Old 11-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Having BAD PAIN DAY :(

Brian, sorry you are having a bad pain day. So am I! Have you tried Cymbalta? I take 30mg of it a day and it seems to help. Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Brian, I have been on Prozac for 3 weeks now and I noticed an immediate change in my disposition when I started it. My hubby wants to know why we did not try it sooner. LOL.

I am on a very low dose 10mg. When I went to the 20 mg, I had to cut back to the 10 mg. because I was in such a stupor. I was not going to wait and see if I would adjust to it because I am a mother and needed to be semi alert to function.

Good luck in finding a solution or answer to the terrible wrath of nerve pain. I have been suffering from it since 2004 myself and have yet to find relief from any medication. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

123dietdrpepper:
I know I was amazed on how quickly the cloud of depression, lethargy was lifted. I still have a ways to go on the depression but I am gaining some control. Plus it will help me to get off the Ultram. You said that you have nerve pain. What kind do you have and in what location. I am sure I have probably read about your pain before but you know what these meds do to our memory. Sometimes I don't remember where I parked at? :-)

Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Brian, I will try to be brief. I had s1/s2 fused w/o hardware in 1982, L5 laminectomy May 2006, L5 fusion with hardware in Feb 2007 and am going back to the operating room Nov. 28th to have hardware removed, bmp added, possible anterior plate added, cage insertion, and a laminectomy.

I have nerve pain across the back right hip, down the side of the thigh, front of the thigh, skip the calf, right side of the foot into the pinky toe, into the three toes, and sole of the foot. When I first began having sciatica, I had the hip and thigh. After my first nerve block, I had sciatica in the foot. After my second nerve block, I ended up with increased back pain and pain in the front of my thigh. (No more nerve blocks for me - you could not pay me!!)

My nerve pain is mechanical in nature and is movement based. I also can't lay on my right side or lean back without excrutiating sciatica pain.

Unfortunately, I am allergic to elavil, palemor, lyrica and neurotin which are all nerve meds. My doctors will not perscribe topomax or cymbalta so at this point I am not on anything that will releive nerve pain.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey Brian,
You're still taking an awful lot of acetaminophen, you might want to consider getting some N-Acetyl Cysteine from the health food store. This will help your liver process it without forming corrosive metabolic by-products.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I kind of felt the same thing about the tylenol. They say 4000 grams is the most you should take. However, my general practioner says you should aim more for the 2000 mark. You need to keep that liver for a long time and daily use at 4000 grams is very high. You might want to discuss it with your doctor if you haven't.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Brian - I too am sorry that you're having one of those ++ pain days. I can relate! As far as the prozac goes....I can remember the very first time that I was placed on Prozac back in the very early 90s. I think I was on it for about 3-4 weeks when one day, while driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bride from Maryland's eastern shore to the D.C. area, it literally felt like someone had turned a light on in my head and my body!!! The reason I can tell you EXACTLY where I was and what I was doing was because it was a most powerful and profound feeling!!! All of a sudden my long-time depression was lifted and the world looked like a beautiful garden to me. I know how dramatic this post sounds, but that is exactly what happened to me!!! Now, unfortunately, that "pink cloud" feeling only lasted about 6 months before I settled back into a more realistic view of life and my circumstances. But, it was still 300% better than the way I had felt before the Prozac! Since then I have been on at least 6 or 7 different anti-depressants. They tend to stop working for me after a few years and then it's on to the next one. I've started Cymbalta and have been on the 60 mg. dose for about 6 months. I didn't think it was working well for me so my doc just upped the dose to 90 mgs. I think I'm starting to feel much better now. And, it does seem to help with my nerve pain. If you are still experiencing nerve pain, and you'd be willing to switch anti-depressants, you should ask your doc for a trial of the Cymbalta. Good luck! Memere (Kthy'Mac)

Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thank you for the suggestions with the Tylenol. I remembe my GP saying that staying on 3000mg/day would be alright but not to go higher. I need to get that back down. I picked up that 8 hour Tylenol which is 650mg and I have been taking 6/day = 3900mg. I will see how I am doing on Friday. We are having alot of weather changes here in Ohio. I saw on the aches and pains forcast that yesterday was very high. I could have told anybody that without even looking.

I did call the pharmacy last night and told them to order the 12mcg in the Sandoz brand which I am sure will make a difference over the Mylan brand. The 25mcg patch that I wear has always been the Sandoz brand. I am really trying not to go up to the 50mcg on the patch due to side effects but I may have to especially with the pain getting worse directly due to winter coming in. I am still holding at 2/day on the Ultram although I did take 3 yesterday considering the pain I was feeling but today I am back on schedule. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks for the suggestions and I will look into the N-acetyl cysteine (I wrote it down since I am sure that I would not remember that one

Brian

Closed Thread