It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Dump drugs in cat litter...

This was a headline in my morning paper. The FDA wants everyone who has unused medicine to dispose of to mix it with something "yucky" like cat litter, "doggie doo", coffee grounds or sawdust. This way children and/or drug addicts won't want to touch them when they go through our trash. It's a good idea since the old method of flushing is proving to be harmful to fish and such in our waterways.

The only problem with this is that if we cpers have left-overs they are stored away in our safes in case of emergency. I guess we could use this idea for all of the trial and error drugs that we take before finding the medicine that works for us!

I know you guys will have comments.....let me hear 'em.(sorry for the bad grammar, Jon...lol) Take care~Mush

Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: Dump drugs in cat litter...

Dear Mush,

I am so sorry about this grammar thing!! Heaven knows (and so does my Mom--the retired English teacher) that I've made my own share of grammar errors. Don't get me wrong, however...I don't mind picking on someone like you who is good-natured. Plus, I certainly don't mind being picked on by you!

Anyway, I must say that the headline certainly got my attention. It has never dawned on me to go through another person's trash--for any reason. I guess I just don't have the ambition.

Take care, my friend.

Jon (Conductor)

P.S. Not many people, in general, spell my name correctly--even though I spell it right in front of them. Thank you for spelling "Jon" as I would!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Conductor - my brother spells his name "Jon". Everytime I read a post you have resonded to you make me think of him.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

That really is a good idea. You would be amazed at how cunning and inventive addicts are at getting their drugs. I am wondering if I should shred my empty boxes of fentanyl patches. Obviously if someone went through my trash they would see the empty boxes and be like we know what he has. I may just change my habit of doing that.

Brian

Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Bri~
I live in rural HELL in nthe middle of the USA, and I shred EVERYTHING before I throw away. EVEN the bags my meds come in at the pharmacy. Rural towns have the biggest meth crap going on, to say the least, and I dont take any chances.

Luv our dear trash couple that picks up or bins every week, but you never know.

I was cleaning out my car before I got it washed a day or so ago, and I get it washed every two days at our local car wash. Not the typical drive thru, but the works...I dont let the car wash guys do the interior unless Ive cleaned it out first, and I thought when I found my bag from the day before "I dont EVER want anyone to know what I take or have."

Pop. in my town is 4800, and believe you me, they know who I am, so i try to keep everything right, and not be a lazy arse about keeping my biz my own.

When I get my car washed, IM right there beside it, and they cant do anything, but youd better believe that there are crafty addicts out there.
Sorry to be harsh, but my ex, and hub currently are in LE so Ive always thought like a cop.

Hope everyone is doing well tonite...Have a good nites' sleep!~

xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Of course you all realize that if you have a cat your trash is going to be dumped all over every time you put it out. From what I understand some of the junkies will go to any extreme to get their fix. Does anybody really think a little cat or dog poo will stop them? That might be a good LE tool. Check for kitty litter breath! Fred

Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

interesting idea there.what i do with all of my Rx literature pertaining to my class IIs and all the empty bottles is place all of that stuff into a shoe box that we place all of the things that you would normally want shredded into?then,after the box is filled,my hubby takes it all up north where we have a cabin,and when the 'bonfire' gets started,all of that stuff gets thrown to it and burned up.we have been doing this for years now.has kept us from having to buy a shredder.he makes certain that there is no 'remains' left behind once the fire is out.works well for us.

before we started doing this,anytime i got rid of any old meds,i never actually flushed them.what i did was remove the label off the bottle and then just poured some pine sol or ammonia into the bottle and threw it in the trash.i seriously doubt anyone would want to 'go there'ya know?i had tried using plain water but this didn;t always work with some meds,depending on the coating or type of med?pine sol and ammonia work really well tho.just some suggestions.just never ever flush any medications,they can and do actually make it into our water supply in certain circumstances.Marcia

Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthr Itis View Post
Of course you all realize that if you have a cat your trash is going to be dumped all over every time you put it out. From what I understand some of the junkies will go to any extreme to get their fix. Does anybody really think a little cat or dog poo will stop them? That might be a good LE tool. Check for kitty litter breath! Fred
Fred, That's exactly what my husband said!!

and Jon...I have basic grammar insecurity. It bugs me when others don't use proper grammar but I'm never sure of my own so I can't really complain. Does that make sense? It's hard to text message when you don't like the 'language'.
I do use 'LOL', though. Take care, Mush

Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
(male)

Fibbles HB User

I usually crush any (really old) leftover meds and put them in the trash. It's going to be hard to figure out what's in there and I don't know if anyone is going to keep my trash bags to sift the powders at the bottom

I've always been concerned with 'properly' disposing of anything that has any personal info, no matter how vague or potentially unusable. For prescription bottles I rip off the label, then tear it into multiple pieces and place them in multiple trash bags. I use scissors and make sure my name/other info and the medication info are unable to be puzzled back together

Closed Thread