It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
(male)

leebrown61 HB User
Prescription Only Good For 10 Days

I am so angry.

I saw my new doc on Oct 22. He said he was happy to write my scripts for my pain meds until I see him on Nov 13 and than he wants to talk about me using long acting meds.
I told him that I did not need refills until the 7th of Nov but he said he would just write them that day. I took them to the pharmacy and told the pharmacist on duty that I had the sciprts but that they were not due to be re-filled until the 6th or 7th. She said no problem that they would put them on file and I could call in when I needed them filled. Well, I called yesterday because I run out today. A different pharm. told me that they can fill my hydrocodone but not the DIlaudid because the script is only good for 10 days from the date written. No one told me this. I explained that the other pharmacist did not tell me that it had to be filled in 10 days and that I had told her that I would not have it filled until the 6th.
Too bad, they told me to call the doc. I called and left a message yesterday. No return call yet. I run out today and I am at work on a 10 1/2 hour shift. I hoping the doc will write a script today. I gave the pharmacy number with the office if they needed to call and verify. What am I to do if he won't write me the script. I take 1 Hydrocodone twice a day and 1 Hydromorphone twice a day. 1 pill every 6 hours and I still have pain in between.
Just wanted to vent.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Prescription Only Good For 10 Days

As you've learned, we're pretty much on our own. Your doc should have told you the limitations of the script (I thought it was two weeks?). Likewise with the original pharmacist.

I hope your doc will understand and write another script for you. So long as he knows that the original was never filled, then he faces no risk in writing another one.

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Sorry Lee, You are at the mercy of the doc to rewrite his script. It just seems kinda nuts that the legislature of each state thinks that the hoops they make us jump through is some how going to limit the level of abuse that goes on. People are either going to abuse or not and if they want to abuse, that law isn't going to stop them.

Each state is different. In VA we have 90 days to fill a class 11 med and 180 days to fill a class 111. My wife gets her 90 day supplies through a mail order program with her insurance. I have a medicare Part D plan and get 90 days at the pharamcy and have a stack of scripts waiting to be filled. The one class 11 is at least 3 weeks old because they wrote it when I had my pump filled.

I haven't seen anything that suggest we have a higher abuse rate because our laws may seem more lax. The 10 day policy pretty much puts an end to any type of mail order system that may save the residents of your state some money on healthcare. I wonder where the study was conducted that suggested to these old farts that putting a 10 day limit will prevent abuse and how much back slapping went on because someone had that brilliant idea.

Most addicts aren't thinking much past tomorrow so a 24 hour limit makes more sense than 10 days. Not that I think that would change a thing when it comes to abuse or addiction. Does stopping the sale of alcohol at midnight prevent alcoholism? Heck it makes more sense to make people buy their booze after midnight when their are less people on the streets.

Whose arse did they pull the number 10 out of? Was it an elephant or a jack ***, you know they use those symbols for a reason.
Good luck, Dave

PS, I do think you will do much better on a sustained dose without the huge ups and downs going from dilaudid to Vicodin every 6 hours has to create.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
(male)

whosit HB User

a good thing you can do is ask the pharmacy for the original script back so you can take it to your doc's office and that is proof in hand that it was not filled so he can write a new RX knowing he is safe from the DEA. try that, the pharmacy has to still have it because i think they are mandated to keep it for a certain amount of time before shredding it or sending it to the dea or docs office or whatever they do with it. hope this helps you... if not then the doc's office can always verify with the pharmacy that it was never filled and what is going on with it and the reason they wont fill it. keep us updated on what happens because I am sure your not the first person nor the last that will go through this and it may help someone else knowing what worked for you or what you had to do. i sure would like to know what to do if that ever happens to me.

thanks

whosit

Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Geez, where I am at we have 6 months to fill a schedule II a year for anything else. I would be in trouble if we only had 10 days as my appointments vary and I hold on to my scripts.

I agree with whosit, anytime I have an issue with a script, I'll take it back to the doc to have him write a new one.

Melissa

Last edited by Boxerluver; 11-07-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added something

Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I agree with whosit, anytime I have an issue with a script, I'll take it back to the doc to have him write a new one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

I do the same, and I went to get a sched med filled partially and they told me they had to refill the remaining within 72 hours. Id never heard of that.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this situation really is so incredibly ridiculous,honestly.since you actually 'gave' the Rxes to your pharm they KNOW,them and your doc that it was never actually filled.anything that needs to be rectified needs to be done by the idiot rxing doc.i mean seriously.he HAD to know about this limit on your ability to fill it when he wrote the stupid thing.i would either call,or better yet,just go to your PM and explain the situation,they can confirm that the rx was never actually filled just by contacting your pharm,ya know?you 'should' be able to obtain a new one and the pharm would be asked to either send it back to them or destroy the old one.this is so stupid what you are having to deal with becasue of the way your DOC did this.this WAS his mistake and he needs to fix it for you.there really isn't anything that you yourself can really do here except demand that the doc do his job right for you when writing scripts.this,in my eyes anyway,would fit a 'crisis' issue for you.showing up at your PMs just to obtain what should have been obtained in the first place,well,what else are you supposed to do here when you DO need those meds.i really am sorry you are having to go thru this,espescially when it was not even your fault,but your docs,and that pharmacist who never informed you about the limit.
i should probably check into this 'law' here in mn.better safe than sorry ya know?i simply cannot even obtain my class IIs even a day early so this has never actually come up with me before.i do know that before they changed that law where you could not get any post dated Rxes,that my other ones would just sit here for well over a month at times and i still was able to actually fill it,but that was also post dated to the exact date too.did your doc actually post date this for you or use that days date?just wondering.hope all goes well for you.marcia

Closed Thread