It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Which Pain med might work best for me?

Hi,
I had spine surgery 6 mos ago and was doing great. I took no pain meds since the surgery. A few days ago, I BADLY reinjured my spine. I had MRI and x-rays today. The pain is unbelievable. It is sharp and constant and shooting and AWFUL.

I have some leftover meds from surgery. I find that Vicodin is not strong enough and does basically nothing for the pain. MS Contin is too strong - makes me vomit and sweat and shake. I am wondering if I should call the Dr. and ask for Percocet. What might be some other options (not too strong, not too weak?)?

Thanks,
Lisa

Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: Which Pain med might work best for me?

Dear Lisa (poopoopadoop),

Before I can start, "poopoopadoop" is really a L--O--N--G screen name!!

I agree with you concerning Vicodin. It just sucks in every way. This medication is tremendously weak. Everyone in my family finds it weak.

MS Contin makes me ill, too. Rarely...I can tolerate an injection of plain morphine, but that's it with that!

As a Chronic Pain patient, I use Dilaudid (hydromorphone). This is considered much more potent than Percocet and, of course, morphine. However, my Mom (also a Chronic Pain patient) thinks Percocet is stronger than Dilaudid. She also takes MS Contin! To me...Percocet is like taking Tylenol. To my Mom, Dilaudid seems weaker than Percocet. I guess it depends on the patient. These medications are placed on different portions of the pain nerves.

So, Lisa...Percocet might be better for you. However, Dilaudid may also work for you. Ask your physician, since Percocet has Tylenol included, while Dilaudid has ONLY the hydromorphone. Some docs consider different things.

I don't know how much I've helped (probably not too much), but please give us (me) an update, OK?

Take care,
Jon (Conductor)

P.S. I usually pay more attention to spelling and grammar, but it is quite late--and I really feel cruddy! So, I am apologetic for the errors!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi, Jon,
Thank you for your reply. I have taken Dilaudid and Ms Contin both after surgery so am familiar with both. For some reason, both are amazing for pain but had such side effects - vomiting, sweating, etc. Maybe both are too heavy duty for someone who doesn't take pain meds on a regular basis. Perhaps I should ask the surgeon about Percocet? I am glad you agree that vicodin can feel so useless.

Thanks!
Lisa

Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Jon (Conductor) has it exactly right, as usual :-) Everyone's different, and you may find success where others don't.

I think you have two (pain) issues here. One is to relieve the pain between now and when you get a diagnosis from the re-injury. The other is for treating the pain post-diagnosis.

You mention that Vicodin is not helpful - has it ever been helpful? If so, maybe you need a higher dose. There are other formulas that include the meds in Vicodin (hydrocodone and tylenol) that have more of the narcotic (hydrocodone) than Vicodin. These days you can get as much as 10mg of hydrocodone in one tablet. Maybe one or two of those would be helpful. If your pain just totally exceeds what hydrocodone can do, then percocet is the next step up. Rather than hydrocodone it has oxycodone, which in my opinion is significantly stronger than the hydro. It also has tylenol in it. Percocet is usually dosed at one tablet every 4-6 hours. Your description of the pain indicates to me that you may need 2 tablets at a time. Your doc could start you at one tablet and you could let him/her know if you need more.

Is your pain pretty much constant around the clock or more related to activity? If it's around the clock, than after the diagnosis you might do better with an around the clock medicine - an extended release med like Oxycontin (same narcotic as in Percocet w/o the tylenol). This is usually dosed at either twice or three times per day. Hopefully your doc will include adequate pain relief in whatever he decides your treatment plan is.

When I talk to my doc about pain I usually speak in terms of pain scale and how well or poorly I'm functioning. Here's an example - I might tell the doc that my pain is at say a 7 out of 10 (10 being the worst pain imaginable) and that I'd like to get it to a 5 - then let the doc identify how to get there. I also tell the doc what I can and cannot do as a result of the level 7 pain. Pain docs want to see you functioning better when on their pain meds. So I might tell him that I'm unable to get out and do much, or get any exercise at this level 7 - and that if I could get to a 5 I could probably function much better. They usually respond to this better than when folks just ask for narcotics.

I didn't intend to write nearly so much. I hope it helps a little.

Please let us know how you are doing.

steve

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I think that percocet would be the best med to try first. It is much stronger that Vicodin. I agree that it is extremely mild for pain control. The percocet will work much better, but hopefully without the terrible side effects of the morphine. Let us know how it works out, and I hope you feel better soon!

Amanda

Old 11-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Thumbs down Re: Which Pain med might work best for me?

Hi, Steve and Amanda,

Thanks for writing. What nice people on this board! I spoke with the nurse practitioner at the surgeon's office and I told her my dilemma. On her own, she suggested percocet. I took one today and it does make me a tiny bit loopy (not a bad thing) and is better for the pain - it maybe brings the pain from an 8/9 to a 5? I did try MSContin over the weekend but I vomited and vomited for 2 days. It was better for the pain, but I couldn't take the vomiting and fever-feeling.

I got my MRI results back today and I have two small herniated discs in the cervical spine (C4-5 and C6-7 -- C5-6 is already fused). They don't feel "SMALL" to me. They feel gigantic.

I see the neurosurgeon next week.

So sad,
Lisa

Old 11-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Hi,

After reading your post I'll put my two cents in on what I think. You may have to take the meds for a while so I would suggest talking with your doc about regular oxycodone it is available in fast acting tabs of 5, 15, and 30 mg. It is also available in long acting form better known as oxycontin and it is available in 10, 20, 40 and 80 mg tabs. You may have to try some trial and error to see what best suits your needs but take it from someone with chronic low back pain due to herniated discs as well as degenerative disc disease this is what worked for me. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo921 View Post
Hi,

After reading your post I'll put my two cents in on what I think. You may have to take the meds for a while so I would suggest talking with your doc about regular oxycodone it is available in fast acting tabs of 5, 15, and 30 mg. It is also available in long acting form better known as oxycontin and it is available in 10, 20, 40 and 80 mg tabs. You may have to try some trial and error to see what best suits your needs but take it from someone with chronic low back pain due to herniated discs as well as degenerative disc disease this is what worked for me. GOOD LUCK!!
Hi, Jojo (and others),
"Regular Oxycodone" is what? And are you suggesting that because of the Tylenol in percocet?

Thanks!
Lisa

Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

Most likely yes the tylenol in the percocet is really unnecessary and just hurts your liver...

Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

That could be why the vicodin bothers you[apap] Everyone responds differently to meds. as an individual. There is vicodin without the apap[tylonol] but with ibprophen,called vicoprophen. If you do go on the percs. ,maybe it would be a good idea to ask for less tylonol,for example,instead of 7.5\500 suggest
7.5\325[less apap]

Closed Thread