It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
(female)

LdyNY HB User
Declined treatment... again.

Wow.. I wrote about my first PM appointment the other day.. I've had RSD in my foot because of a stupid injury at work two years ago..

The doctor I saw suggested sympathetic nerve blocks.. because I am in a lot of pain still, of course. Like... just bearing weight or moving my foot much hurts! It hurts even if I'm just laying here, really bothering my sleep at night.. if I sleep...

I saw the doctor last Thursday, got a call today from the doctors office saying Workers Comp didn't authorize the treatment, wow. I don't have insurance... I can't pay for them. I'm supposed to live in pain?? I mean, they stopped my pain meds about two months ago... They appealed the judge's decision that was in M Y favor... I've been here, doing nothing.. I don't have a social life, I don't go anywhere..

..because I can't get the treatment I need. It took months and months for them to authorize PM and now they don't authorize the treatments.. I've been trying with Government help for about a year now, don't get me started... I'm on my THIRD application because of mistakes on papers and misunderstandings by new employees there... they admitted it at the HEARINGS I had to go to twice... Blah.

I really was scared to get the blocks done, but I wanted to see if they would work... that would be so great... now I'm going to have to wait forever to get any treatment, this will be a bad few months...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Declined treatment... again.

Hi Syrabo,

Isn't that ridiculous, they will pay for morphine up the ying yang, but God forbid we want to try nerve blocks or PT to help with pain, they won't lay the money out! It's unfortunate that medical care more and more is governered by accountants and less and less by doctors.

I also have no medical insurance, and I can tell you what I did, maybe it will help you, too. I went to the front part of the local phone book, looked under county, and called the county health number and got the name of the clinic nearest me. I called them and they set up a financial screening appointment, since my hubby and I dont qualify for public assistance. It turned out that we were eligible for $20 doctor visits, and $10 prescriptions. The county pharmacy is small, but what they didnt carry we were able to get at walmart on their $4 generic plan, except for a few of hubbys meds which we got a 'drug scholorship' on from the manufacturer.

I can get x-rays free, and for other things I pay a nominal fee. The building I go to is beautiful and modern, I have my own doctor, who is very caring and competent. Its a great safety net for those of us who 'fall through the cracks'.

I hope this can help you at least with some of your medical issues, I would also advise getting a workman's comp lawyer to help you get all the benefits you have coming to you.

I have never delt with workmans comp myself, But I know many on this board have, I'm sure some of them will be along soon with more advice about that.

Good luck to you, don't give up, and keep posting, we're here to support you!

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I too am sorry that you have been left to struggle with the beurecratic nightmare called "workmens comp" while also struggling with the pain you are feeling. I consider myself more than lucky to be on social security disability with my medicare AND two supplemental insurance policies to back it up. There was a time when I didn't have insurance and someone suggested that I seek out a hospital that was affiliated with a University medical school - I don't know if you live near such a school, but they almost always have a clinic associated with their teaching hospitals that take on patients with no insurance. Sometimes these clinics can offer state-of-the-art medical treatment because of their status as University medical services. It just makes sense that the students who are in medical school at these Universities will be getting the very latest information on medical treatments, etc. So, I would recommend that you look into a program like that. Even if it means travelling quite a distance for your care, it is better than no care at all. I hope you can find something very soon. All the best - Memere (Kath"mac) K'Mac waves to her friend Fabby -

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

I can hardly take in the story you've told! What you've gone through is so absurd to me--I can barely fathom the stupidity involved!!

Honestly...I'm thankful of the two people who responded after your initial story. You couldn't have heard from any better people than Fabrashamx (Fabby) and Memere (K'Mac) concerning your situation! Take their advice. These are people who are exceptionally credible. Read and re-read what they have to say, because their suggestions have really helped me when I needed them in the past. Fabby and K'Mac (I'll work on referring to you as "Memere"...I promise), I always take your advice to heart. please keep us informed, OK?

Take care,
Jon (Conductor)

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Awww Thanks, Jon!

I feel the same way, you always give not only great advice, but food for thought and usually a smile as well!

:::Waving at my girl KMacmere

Closed Thread