It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User
Contract

I went in for my appointment earlier this week and the receptionist told me that I needed to read and sign something. Sure enough, it was the PM Contract that most have talked about here.

It was pretty standard, it said that I would not accept any narcotic scripts from anyone else. If an emergency comes up it is okay to go to the ER but I must contact the office immediately and/or leave a message. I can only use 1 pharmacy, (thank god I found on that treats me with respect, dignity, and above all else, DISCRETION!) etc etc. It did mention urine testing, and the fact if I lost the meds or they were stolen they would not be replaced. Overall sounded like a pretty generic contract.

I'm currently on Oxycontin 20 3xday. It's working great, just a LITTLE nausea but I think it will fade.

I'm not upset at all - I actually feel better about having this contract. I have made some screw ups in the past with dentists and my primary care (who was then handling the scripts) and I am more educated and wont be making those types of mistakes again!

Thanks again for all the support.......

Last edited by letthatsinkin; 11-09-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: Contract

I'm with you there. Before i started PM I had a lot of things going on and different docs at times would need to prescribe pain meds. I got very uncomfortable with this and went to my primary and asked him to cover all my pain meds. He did until I had my first PM appointment. I'm with you, I like the contract as it protects them and us.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

mzpain HB User

Hi all, I agree with the PM contracts BUT they don't protect us they ONLY protect the docs! Now if they wanted to add some requirements of the docs to protect us then that would make for a well rounded contract. In law a contract must cover BOTH parties. The definition of a contract is: a set of promises constituting an agreement between parties, giving EACH a legal duty to the other and also the right to seek a remedy for the breach of the promises/duties owed to EACH! We get the short end of the stick in our so called contracts in PManagement. It should say that the doctors CANT send us into withdrawal for ANY reason, just because withdrawal doesn't kill us doesn't mean they should be able to push us into it just because they are having a bad day or because they THINK we are abusing when all the signs point to inadequate pain relief. In my opinion anyone with an MRI/Xray that shows a verifiable painful spinal condition should NEVER be without EVERY pain management tool at the docs disposal. As it is even those with PROOF of a painful condition are abused by the medical community and I wouldn't doubt it it those with proof are abused MORE often than the druggies getting scripts and abusing. I mean if someone could chart or keep tract of every abuse of a CPer I believe it may out number the non CPers legally getting the drugs and abusing. Thanks all for letting me vent, this really is the only safe place and I have a really big mouth ha ha. I hope to all who is reading this a painless day!
Mzpain

Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I think of the pain management contract as being similar to the contract you have with your life insurance carrier. As long as you pay your premiums, they will pay your beneficiary if you die. If you stop paying the premiums, they are no longer obligated to pay the benefiicary if you die.
Pain management agrees to provide me a service as long as I follow the rules laid out in the contract. If I do not comply, they no longer have to provide me a service.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
(female)

mzpain HB User

Hi Step, I agree with that, BUT I have read stories here where a patient does NOTHING against their contract and a doctor cuts them off for no reason, or at least not a reason the doc is willing to admit. I just feel sooooo bad for those CPers that get wronged, I know it happens all the time I read it here,but it may be that subconsciously I fear it could happen to me, just because a doctor has a problem, not me. It just isn't fair or right for good honest people to be treated that way and its OK in the medical community. Oh well I am only one voice and no one really cares anyway, no wonder I usually keep my opinions to myself, I FEEL invisible might as well disappear.
Mzpain

Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
(male)

badoldback HB User

I hear you mz.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

MZ,
I have also read many stories where people have been cut off even though they have done nothing wrong. I don't agree with the fact that the contract only serves the dr and not the pain patient. I just know that there is such a thing as a legal contract that does not protect both parties. They are called unilateral contracts. So, even though it stinks, what the drs are doing is perfectly legal.
I hope I didn't offend you. I certainly didn't want anyone to think I am somehow siding with the drs who cut people off for no good reason. I wish the contracts served both the patient and the dr.
Step

Closed Thread