It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Unhappy Need help with new med: EFfexor

Hello everyone:
I was doing well after starting Prozac until around day 5 and I had to leave work early because I got so extremely tired and nausea. I waited to take the next dose on day 6 at night. Well, I experienced serotonin syndrome (disoriented, fever (100*), pulse increase, alot of nause, flushed face). I managed to drink a ton of water and ended up passing out or falling asleep. I told the doctor what happened and he said yeah it was interaction between the Ultram and the Prozac even though I am on low dose of Ultram now. He looked for an alternative to help with my depression.

He asked about wellbutrin (which I can't take due to side effects) and then effexor xr. He said effexor was a mild reuptake inhibitor of seratonin and reuptake inhibitor of norepenephrine. I am just really scared that I will get the seratonin syndrome again, which can be fatal. What do you guys think. He gave me a sample pack and told me to just take the 37.5mg. I am taking between 100-150mg of Ultram as well along with
37.5 mcg fentanyl patch
1500mg Trileptal
3000mg acetaminophen
600 mg Lyrica

You guys have helped me alot and I need some help now. Thanks

Brian

Old 11-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User
Re: Need help with new med: EFfexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
Hello everyone:
I was doing well after starting Prozac until around day 5 and I had to leave work early because I got so extremely tired and nausea. I waited to take the next dose on day 6 at night. Well, I experienced serotonin syndrome (disoriented, fever (100*), pulse increase, alot of nause, flushed face). I managed to drink a ton of water and ended up passing out or falling asleep. I told the doctor what happened and he said yeah it was interaction between the Ultram and the Prozac even though I am on low dose of Ultram now. He looked for an alternative to help with my depression.

He asked about wellbutrin (which I can't take due to side effects) and then effexor xr. He said effexor was a mild reuptake inhibitor of seratonin and reuptake inhibitor of norepenephrine. I am just really scared that I will get the seratonin syndrome again, which can be fatal. What do you guys think. He gave me a sample pack and told me to just take the 37.5mg. I am taking between 100-150mg of Ultram as well along with
37.5 mcg fentanyl patch
1500mg Trileptal
3000mg acetaminophen
600 mg Lyrica

You guys have helped me alot and I need some help now. Thanks

Brian
What in the world are you taking so much of the acetaminophen for. That is a ridiculous amount. The Effexor is a very small amount that he has you starting out on. If you don't mind me asking, why are you taking Ultram, acetaminophen, fentanyl patch and lyrica.

Seems like quite a bit of some of the same meds.
Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Need help with new med: EFfexor

My doctor said that the acetaminophen helps the narcotics work better and more effectively. He said as long as I keep it at or below 3000mg then I should be alright. I know several people on the message boards here that are taking quite a bit of acetaminophen whether by itself or combined with something else like percocet. The Trileptal is used to treat my bipolar disease, Lyrica for the nerve pain, fentanyl patch for nerve pain, and Ultram for nerve pain. This combination of meds is working fairly well at the moment. I am just having a hard time with the depression and to make matters worse my girlfriend of 10 months just left

Closed Thread