It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Need advice on good non opiate meds... are there any??

I have terrible pain in my neck area due to stenosis, arthritis and cord compression in c5-c7. I am only 35 years old with 2 kids and am scared of surgery although it's inevitable...but in the mean time I am trying to control my pain. I tried epidural with no success and I have a problem in that any of the meds with opiates in them make me break out in hives, get itchy and feel sick to my stomach. I am so at a loss and so upset. I have been taking advil mixed with tylenol and a klonopin to relax me, of course the pain is still there.
Does anyone have any suggestions of medications that may work? I really need advice as I'm sick of feeling in so much pain. I would like to at least take the edge off so I could function

Thank you all so much

ALex

Old 11-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Need advice on good non opiate meds... are there any??

Alex,
first let me say that I'm so sorry that you're suffering. espeically with the fact you have two children that need you all the time. whether you're ill or not.
you start to feel guilty because you can't do the things they want you to do with them. right?
so many people do have the same problem where they are allergic to opiates and can't tolerate the side effects of them. I haven't heard of any type of miracle medication that's non opiate based and that really helps with pain.

I have chronic pain due to osteoarthritis in my spine, hips, wrists, fingers and neck for a couple years now which began getting worst. I then had a bone density test performed and also found out I have osteoporosis. I now found out a month ago when I was referred to a rheumatologist that I have fibromyalgia on top of it all and a vit. D deficiency which we believe was the cause to my extreme bone pain in my spine at night. the lower back specifically.
the numbness in my hands and arms and brain fog and memory loss are due to the fibromyaligia.
I was put on an anti inflammatory medication by my family dr but wasn't working quickly enough. so the specialtist put me on another form that's supposed to work right away. which I think it has.
it could be due to multpile things though. It could be because I added vit. D supplements and calcium daily, plus I went up by 10 mg. of methadone but I've been on methadone for 8 yrs and have built up a resistence to it. being on methadone for so many years did not keep my pain away. which I can't imagine what my pain would have really felt like if I wasn't on it at all.

the new anti inflammatory he put me on is called " diclofenac" 75mg.
1 tab. 2'x a day. Voltaren is the name of it. diclofenac is the generic name of it.
This is rx'd for arthritis and you did mention you have it. there are many other types of anti imflammatories that can tried if one doesnt work.
thank God for science.
I could bend down and kiss my new Dr's feet for taking away my pain.
I didn't expect my pain to be taken away as quickly as it has.

let me know if you find out any other types of medications that aren't opiates.
I"m anxious to learn more about it myself.

thanks for posting, hope you feel better.

sincerely,
linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hi alex,just how severe is your actual cord compression?with cord compression,the need for surgical intervetion kind of goes up a notch,when compared to having a herniation without compression.it is just a higher risk for some pretty dramatic damage if that cord becomes more compressed than it already is,thats all .our c spines are really highly vulnerableto alot of different types of damage since it is the only area of our spine that has no real protection like the rest of the spine,even a simple low speed type of whiplash injury for you could really makes things a bit more devistating,you know what i mean?it all depends on what just occured and how severe the existing compression was.

i know the thought of surgery for thisis a big scarey deal,but you also have to look at your current quality of life here too.things will probably not get better but worse as time goes by.its just something you really do need to think more in depth on.that decision is of course up to you,but having actual cord damage is not a good thing and it has created for me,even much worse hell than i was dealing with before the damage occured from my c spine and an existing cavernoma inside my cord that had been bleeding,so it had to be removed.

i have had problems with taking alot of the types of meds that are needed for my perticular pain syndromes,so i started looking more at the outside methods of pain management.this includes lidocaine patches and ointment,the TENS unit,a wonderful topical called biofreeze(this really works fantastic),myofascial release and craniosacral therepy and a few other odds and ends that just help me much better than some of the meds i have tried but with NO side effects.when the meds we take cause even more loss of function and mobility and just no real quality of life,well thats just a too big of a trade off for me.these therepys have helped me soo much more and i don't 'feel' such a huge loss of 'me'.

looking into the more holistic and osteopathic approaches to pain control i really think could benefit you much more than where you currently are at.if they can help with my pain,i really do think they could at least take the edge off yours.just some suggestions for you.my areas of structural and some neuropathic pains are right where yours are.also was having a ton of trigger point issues til i started the myofascial release(my ins co actually pays for this and the cranio too).i just cannot believe the difference up there now.it was horrid before and i probably have had to have a total of at least one hundred TP injections back there since this all started up back in 02 with my very first c spine surgery and the effects of that cavernoma inside my cord.no more TPs now.quite the relief just with that.just some thoughts for ya alex.i really feel for you with this.hopefully you can get this fixed and just move on from it.what does your MRI report state in that summary at the end about your biggest issues?what type of pain and or sensation(sensation or "perceptionary" pain/sensation is a biggie with spinal cord involvement)are you currently experiencing?i do wish you lots of luck with this.please keep us posted,K? Marcia

Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Alex, There are meds like anti inflamatories, muscle relaxers, antidepressants of all sorts arre used, but some get relief from the first one like Elevill they try and some have to try 5 or 8 to find something that helps. Anti D's reduce a drug called substance P which is over produced when someone has chronic pain. Its a potent nuro inflamatory agent that is only seen in high level in CP patients spinal fluid. Anti D reduce this chemical.

Many things are chemically different as far as neurtransmission and higher response systems that drugs like anti convulsants work on. Again, there are dozens of anti seizure meds which work on an entirely different part of the pain process. The idea is to attack pain in more than one method. Opiates hit pain at one point of the neuro checmical chain, but there are other points at which a pain cuircuit can be dampened or stopped.

I really look at it as a chemical circtut and there are several points that are vulnerable to disrupt that circuit, the more points you can disrupt, the more pain you can manage.

Another concern is how long and how much damage are you potentially doing to your neck or mainly the nerves that travel down your arm or any other area from a cord compression. I know docs make it sound like it's your choice and practically elevctive surgery. There are certain things like loss of reflexes, loss of muscle or atrophy, loss of sensation, that may not come back even with surgery. The longer you put it off the less likely you will have complete success. Docs measure success by did they retore nerve function as measured on an ENMG, Did they restore stability or decompress the nerve . Whatever the reaon they did surgery. If that's fixed, they will release you and call it a sucess.

The flip side is they don't consider pain a neurologic impairment that they can correct with more surgery. Few docs will opperate if it's neck pain alone or back pain without a neurologicl component. If you have a neurologic component, a cord compression that could be relieved, putting it off may be the worst thing you can do and leave you with terrible neck pain but still stabalizes whatever is mechanically or physicologically wrong. If you have no reflexes or are losing muscle mass, pain management won't stop that from continuing and worsening, somethings can only be corected surgically.

I know the decision is tough, I hope your comfortable with your choince. It takles lots of opinions from different docs to make me comfy and all your getting is their opinion.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 11-11-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
a wonderful topical called biofreeze(this really works fantastic),myofascial release
Hi there.. what is this myofascial release you are talking about?? I've got some horrible myofascial pain in addition to some bulding discs.

I'm kind of interested in this Biofreeze... I'm going to look around for it online...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the myofascial relaese is really helped soo much for me.the thing is,when i had just gotten out of acute rehab after my spinal cord surgery and my therepist had highly recommended it,my ins co just refused(back in 03)to even pay for it.but now they do pay for it so they must have actually researched the true benefits of it.this has worked wonders for me.the actual 'fascia' is this covering that actually runs thru out our bodies from head to toe,it is like this interconnected spider web covering.this is something that can become tightened up over time with espescially things like ongoing pain stressors or even trauma.my therepist has been using very light touch on me but its my own body that responds and kind of 'unwinds" the tension.using the craniosacral therepy along with the myo is just an amazing way of righting peoples messed up central nervous systems(the cranio actually worksat the nerve flow level).my body has now calmed down alot from the high level of stress and the constant 'stuck' posistion of the fight or flight response it started when my SNS was damaged during my spinal cord surgery.he also has released my diaphram which was tighter than all get out.i just 'feel' so much better overall.anytime you have muscle problems becasue of many possible problems,that fascia will just tighten up on you and your entire 'sheet' of fascia.this therpy just keeps that in a more relaxed mode.since this covering runs thru out our entire body,it can and does affect many many areas.i would very very highly recommend this to anyone who suffers from any level of chronic pain.you would be amazed at how really totally tensed up we can become just from ongoing pain.the myo just releases that built up tension that goes mostly to our muscles.

now,that biofreeze?this,from what i have been told is only availiable thru a chiro.why,i don't know.it just is.but i am sure you could possibly track it down online somewhere.or just find a friend who ses a chiro.my hubby just got me some samples from someone at where he works who was putting some on one day.when he told her about all of my issues she gave him these two packets.wow,what an amazing topical.much much better than icy hot could ever be,while it only lists menthol as the only real active ingredient,it contains some sort of herbal or something they obtained off a hill growing in a shrub off a mountain in god knows where?you know,that type of thing?its called illex?i recently found out that this new pain i was having in my shoulder that was already messed up severely was from an actual rotator cuff tear(had MRI ast week) the thing is,this pain had been managed solely by the use of biofreeze and lidocaine(no raise in my narcotics at all).amazing really when you think of what is actually causing THAT level of pain.it still hurts of course,but the overall intensity level has dropped.just mostly from repeated applications of the bio.this stuff has a very strong "freeze" feeling,pretty strong compared to all the other crap i have tried and failed with.

i now have two "roll on' tubes of this stuff from that same woman my hubby knows.so kind of her to do this for me.i love this stuff.even before my myofascial relaease got rid of the majority of TPs i had up in my upper back,the bio was working for those too.it is something you should really atleast give a try to see how well it works for your particular type of pain.the one big warning here tho.i tried this stuff on the RSD knee i have that is always burning like hell?don't EVEN go there if you are trying to treat a burning type of pain.oh-my-god,was that ever a huge mistake.made things much much worse there for me.had to grab a cold wash cloth like immediately and soap it up and start trying to get it off.always use cold water when washing this off your hands or it will get into the pores with hot.BIG thing to remember there really.i realy DO love this stuff nd it has become a big part of my pain management for certain areas like my shoulder and upper back now.hopefully you can track some down.but i would at least give this a shot.best topical crap i ever used.good luck with the hunt.let me know if you use it,K? i am just curious how others respond to it,the one thing i found out after finding out about this stuff is there are ALOT of people out there who are actually using this stuff and they all have had some really great results with their pain.even my PM,after i told her about this said she has alot of patients who also use it and love it.she is the one who told me that you can only obtain it thru a chiro.let me know if you use this.K?Marcia

Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

give it a shot alex and let me know how things go.i really DO love this stuff.that and the lido patches are about the only things that really help my upper back/neck agaony.good luck,hope you can get some good results.Marcia

Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hi Alex
I am sorry you are in so much pain with very little relief. Since 2004 I have been in a lot of pain from a broken ankle and arthritis. I take Celebrex(anti-inflammatory)twice a day ,Elavil and a narcotic med. I don't like taking narcotic painkillers but they help me live a fairly normal life and do the things I need to do each day. I hope you and your doctor can discuss which meds are right for you.

Sincerely
Mus

Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

rozia50 HB User

Have you tried Opana ER. Works pretty good

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

Hi Marcia,

Can you tell me a little bit about what myofascial release actually IS? Is it a trigger point injection? I've never heard of it called "myofascial release" and I'm wondering if it is the same thing as a TPI..... does your PM doc do this?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

i kind of explained the basics of the myo up above,but just to let you know,it is in no way shape or form trigger point injections or any other type of injections.i have had to have had at a minimum of at least a couple of hundred seperate TP injections since my crap started happened years ago.i have tried just about every imaginable type of therepy and injection just trying to get rid of the constant cycling trigger points in my upper back to no real avail.

myofascial release is just that.it releases the fascia(that interconnected spider web like covering that is just surrounding all of our muscles and organs from literally head to toe).the PT person i have has about 18 years of experience just doing the myo release and the craniosacral therepy.these are two seperate types of therepy he combines into one.but the myo ,he does light touch in specific areas that cause your own body to just release the 'holds' it has in certain areas of that sheet?when you suffer with pain in one area it can tend to tighten up all of the other areas as well since they are all interconnected to each other.by just releasing one particular area with this therepy,it really is amazing how other body areas respond.i can actually feel these little 'grabby" type of sensations right before it actually lets go.it is really an amazing type of therepy.the best thing for me tho is after suffering and i mean suffering with these awful TPs that invaded my upper back mostly after my back muscles had to be cut into to just access my spinal cord,they finally are being slowly dissapated out of my back.i have almost no more generation of them now.i haven't been able to actually get back in to see him now for about two weeks becasue of the holidays and he just books up too fast and believe me,i can really 'feel' the difference right now.i have TPs now that were not there before that he is going to have to work on when hopefully i can see him again next week.i would very highly recommend the myo release to anyone who is haveing mostly deep or surface muscle type pain.if this could help with my level of TPs that i could never pop and get rid of on my own or using other therepys,i am sure it can help others as well,maybe even better than my results.it should be tried tho just to see if it works for your pain processes.believe me,if you actually suffer from TPs of any level,you WILL feel a big difference after the releases are done.it really dropped down my overall radiating pain level alot.its just a really great tried and true type of therepy.all the therepist does is use very light pressure,not even actual pressure really.he just lays one hand across like the diaphram and the other underneath the same area and your body actually does the 'work' really crazy stuff.marcia

Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

WOW...I never knew. I'm so glad this works for you.
I'm going to talke to my hubby about it as he's the one with back pain.
I wish it would work for me.

Closed Thread