It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
(male)

videogamecrazed HB User
feeling nervous about new med

Well I am so excited and nervous at the same time. My PM dr is switching my meds around. I was taking 20mg Oxycontin ER x3 a day, I got to the point where I just could not make that pain releif last the full 8 hours yet alone the 6 hrs. My PM DR is prescribing Methadone 20mg every 12 hrs. The pills will come in the form of 10mg tablets so he said that I could take 2 10mg every 12 hours or 1 10mg every 6 hours. He explained that the methadone was superion in potency to the Oxycontin on a per mg basis but does not mean I will get more pain relief. Some do and some dont, he explained! I sure hope I do. I could most def use the added pain releif and I can also use the added lenght of Pain releif.
Long story short I am also nervous to take this medicine due to possible withdraw down the road when I have to come off of it (if that ever really happens anyhow) I hear they are no fun at all especially from methadone. Well thanks for letting me vent and I would love to hear any good/bad stories from you other CP'er's out there. Is it also true that there is less side effects from this medicine IE: dopy feeling, drowsiness, etc... if so then that would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!.

sorry for the long post, hope you are pain free and having a blessed day!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: feeling nervous about new med

Hey Video,

I have never tried it myself, as oxy works great for me, but I have heard so many people say that nothing beats it in terms of pain relief. Even people that can't take the side effects, wish they could because the pain management was so wonderful. The side effects I hear most often are excessive drowsiness, and problems driving on this med, due to sleepiness.

I hope it works for you, and that this is the magic bullet for your pain! Good luck and keep us posted!

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I started on Methadone a couple of weeks ago. I only take 2.5 mg at bedtime and it really makes me sleepy. In fact it's so good it keeps me that way until the next afternoon. Maybe I'm one of those who shouldn't take it? It helps somewhat with the pain but doesn't take it away. Good luck. Fred

Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

You should feel much better on methadone. Im about to make the switch as it was offered to me. I'm currently on the fentanyl patch (25mcg/hr) and vicodin 10/325 for BT pain.. Halo 3 and call of duty 4 have been a life saver during my flareups.. Anything to keep my brain distracted off the pain is good stuff IMO. This weekend they are doing a deal on xboxlive with COD4 i will be there getting me game on. Keep us posted on your happenings man.

Jon

Old 11-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
(male)

videogamecrazed HB User
Cool Re: feeling nervous about new med

Thank you all for the support and opinions/answers. I have taken 20mg of the methadone so far today and can def say that the side affects are less but the ones i am having seem to be more pronounced. ie: the drowsiness and the nausea. Those will prob go away after a few days though like most side affects do.. lets hope so anyway.

And a special not to jondom 1979, I have not played halo 3 yet but just purchased a vista pc so will do soon though (amd 64+ 4400 x2 processor, 2gig DDR2 ram, 320 Sata drive, and dx10 compatible egeforce 8600 pci graphics card) This stuff also keeps my brain busy when in lots of pain LOL . well hope to talk to you all again soon. I will also keep everyone up to date on how the meds work.

God bless you all and have a nice day.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamecrazed View Post
And a special not to jondom 1979, I have not played halo 3 yet but just purchased a vista pc so will do soon though (amd 64+ 4400 x2 processor, 2gig DDR2 ram, 320 Sata drive, and dx10 compatible egeforce 8600 pci graphics card) This stuff also keeps my brain busy when in lots of pain LOL . well hope to talk to you all again soon. I will also keep everyone up to date on how the meds work.

God bless you all and have a nice day.
Sick i tell you! LOL Nice setup. I do alot of pc Gaming too. HAHA Something about screaming obscenities at 1am in the morning that just makes it all worth the it.... God bless Nvidia.. Have you already started the methadone? This will be my last month on the patch.. When I went in to pick up my Rx's My doc was sitting there and asked if my mind was made and I said ya lets go for it. I feel the same way you do on methadone.. The comming off part sounds much worse than comming off a normal narcotic. But Im tired of wearing patches and worrying if they are sticking correctly and all the other stuff that comes with using them. I'll keep you posted too on my happenings next month as well when I change over.

My pain is 90% nerve pain... I have this junk called RSD.. Anywho, Hope everything kicks out right on the back side when you do go over and please keep me updated on how it goes.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Video! A few thoughts on your methadone. I was on 160 mg. of methadone for a couple of years and it really was the most effective medication I have been on for pain. The drowsiness and nausea are two side effects that will go away with time, but you will always need to be careful while doing monotonous things like driving for long distances, watching t.v., reading, etc. You will have a tendency to "nod off" while you're not doing challenging things! I stopped using it because toward the end of my use I was turning into a real couch potato. I had lost all of my desire to get out of bed and interact with the world. While I was on the methadone I was also taking 30 mg. of oxycodone twice a day for breakthrough pain. So, when it was time to stop the methadone I just stopped taking it one morning and switched to the Duragesic patch along with the oxycodone. There was no physical or mental withdrawal. Of course that has alot to do with the fact that I had added another strong narcotic to the mix. Hope you find that it works well for you. Along with being a great pain reliever, it is also one of the cheapest drug out there. All the best! Memere (K'Mac)

Closed Thread