It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

myhearthurts HB User
severe burning sensation. what should I do?

I currently take 3o mg of oxycodone every 4 hours but it has not been helping recently (helps alittle bit). I told my pm nurse I have to take more to make the burning sensation in my hand go away. She told me if I have to do that and I run out then its my problem and to find away to relieve the pain on my own or go to the ER cause the doctor wont help me then. She wouldnt even give my message to him. Anyway I take the oxycodone and lyrica but it doesnt work. If I go to sleep for about 3 hrs the burning in my hands will start and I will wake up in severe pain. I dont know what to do. My dr said the lyrica is for the burning but it just is getting worse. I am afraid to sleep. He says I have Carpal tunnel and other things related to my neck and back. does anyone know what might help?..If I go to the ER could they do anything for the burning?
any info is appreciated!

thanks
~mel

Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Re: severe burning sensation. what should I do?

Several things when was the last time you had a round of labs? Did they do a diabetes panel and or thyroid panel on you? You might invest in some hand wrist wraps from Walgreen's walmart that helps a tad , try hot or cold wraps as well
Next doc appointment let them know it is worse or more noticalbe
Good luck and i hope you find some relief soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
(female)

myhearthurts HB User

thanks.
I treid cold packs and braces.
The last time I had blood work done was in the beginning of the year and it showed I was "borderline" diabetic when I was fasting. My doc never did a thyroid test but my primary care doc wanted to due to other problems....I just dont know. I will try to sleep as little as possible until next wednesday (my dr apt), I guess.

~Mel

Old 11-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Something else to consider if laying down brings on the burning or turning at night wakes you up, try sleeping a while in an easy chair see if you can get more hours of sleep that way....
Also use pillows to prop your feet and or in between legs might help eleivate some of the pressure

Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I used to have severe burning pain in the left shoulder and arm. I have been on Lyrica for over a year now and it has really calmed down. I think maybe you need your Lyrica dosage upped until you get it under control. The causalgia you are feeling sounds nerve related. What did your MRI say? Surely before you went to a PM they ran many tests.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I am thinking that the carpal tunnel is probably really bad if those medications are not cutting the pain. How much of the Lyrica are you taking? I am currently on the max which is 600mg day. I would also suggest taking a high potency B-vitamin. It has helped me quite a bit with the nerve pain. It is good for promoting a healthy nervous system plus it gives you energy. I tried taking just the regular strength but it didn't do squat. I moved up to the high potentcy b-vitamin and do see a difference.

Brian

Old 11-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

What is your dosage of Lyrica? It needs to be high enough to be effective (around 300 mg). Also, it can be augmented with Topamax. This combination of medication really helped me for severe burning (I am diabetic) I would also find another doctor. Yours sounds pretty uncaring.

Last edited by CaliGirl; 11-13-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added info

Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

In regards to your situation, here are a couple of points to consider:
Emergency Rooms are meant to stabilize patients. They are really not meant to treat or diagnose long term conidtions. I have gone to the emergency room more than once for drastic increases in pain, but they really couldn't do more than give me a quick shot of something, tell me to follow up with my dr, and send me on my way. Also, pain managment patients who make a habit of going to the ER for pain are often thought of and treated as drug seekers.
I have had trouble sleeping due to nerve pain and muscle cramps. My pain dr put me on Nortriptyline, which is mostly used to treat anxiety. It is a sedative that helps a little bit with the pain, but the biggest impact it has is helping me fall asleep and stay asleep.
It is always good to have a dr you feel has your best interest in mind at all times. That also means the staff of his/her office also has to treat you with respect and keep your best interest in mind at all times. If I were you, I would talk to the dr about the way you were treated. I believe it is best to use a combination of compassion and strong words and phrases in order to have the biggest impact. For instance, "I understand your nurses deal with a lot of people who are rude and are just looking for a prescription, but I am not a drug seeker and always treat people iwth respect. Treating me with disrespect is unacceptable. I have been impressed with the way you treat your patients with compassion and respect, but your staff does not follow your lead." Another helpful tip is to quote any handouts or mission statement the office provided you and then give specific examples of what the nurse said to you and how that is not consistent with the image you had of the office after reading all of the new patient information.
I hope some of this helps. Keep posting, so I know how this turns out for you.
Step

Old 11-14-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am just wondering how much real damage/problems that you are actually having in your neck/c spine area and what they consist of?what is actually stated on your c spine MRI as your bigger issues?unless you have actually had an EMG/NCS,it would be kind of hard to say with 100% certainty,when the c spine is actually involved,whether or not the 'percieved' carpal tunnel is actually that or a problem that is actually stemming from a c spine issue,you know what i mean?the actual symptoms could be the very same as far as what you may actually have in your hands,and if this involves both hands,the likelyhood of it actually being from c spine related issues goes up a notch.before any surgery is ever realistically considered to try and "correct' any possible CT,you DO most definitely need to find out what is actually triggering that set of symptoms.it could all be related to the c spine or you could actually have that CT syndrome,but you just need appropriate testing to actually Dx it for certain before anything else.just an FYI.

what are you exact symptoms right now in your hands or anywhere from the c spine on down thru your fingers?you just really need a more definitive Dx of what is actually triggering the symptoms.the more you know about what is actually causing symptoms,the better geared types of treatments that can be offered.just from my experience with having two seperate syndrome which create hellish levels of burning,the chances that any actual narcotic will realistically touch that type of pain is pretty slim.upping your lyrica,if tolerated would be a good idea or even trying something like neurontin instead(with your doc in charge of your taper of course)could help.we all respond in our own ways to these types of meds and how much real relief if any,we will actually obtain with them.lyrica was actually the only real med that i have tried that actually even touched or actually affected my buring types of pain.unfortunetly the side effects almost completely shut me down and also made my kidneys swell.so i had to taper off.but it was a great med for the burning aspect of my particular pain syndromes.sometimes just raising the overall dosage will help alot in obtaining benefit.

you just really do need to find out what is reallt triggering your burning,espescially if this is in both hands(is the burning all thru the hands or just in specific spots or fingers?).i wish you luck with this.please keep us posted on how things are going,K?Marcia

Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
(female)

myhearthurts HB User

I havent posted anything cause I thought I was going to have to cut off my hands...I have neuropathy (dont know what it is though), damage to my cervical spine, carpal tunnel and arthritis. I am also b12 and iron deficient anemic. I started to take 5 hr energy (its a liquid) 2x day for the past three days and now I hardly have any burning. It has alot of b vitamins in it...My fingers are still sore and stiff and cant bend them even with 30mg oxycodone sometimes. I guess its true that your body will concenrate on the most severe pain (used to be my neck). Anyway atleast the fires are gone from my hands.
I take 150mg lyrica every hrs too.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #11
(female)

myhearthurts HB User

Thanks for the replies. I actually havent had tests done this year. In the past I have and it showed disk problems and in 05 an onset of Carpal tunnel. I had a real bad car accident in the beginning of this year (went over 4 lanes of traffic, then a median, spun and over four more and hit a tree at 85mph in a 30ft ditch) and really havent had anything tested just a CT of my upper body since I went unconsious for three days. They told my parents I had multiple concussions and a spot on the lung which they couldnt tell if its a tumor or blood spot (and still goes undiagnosed).. Since my other accidents showed enough damage the doctors havent taken any other tests since they came up w a DX already prior to that. Then I was terminated from my job (5yrs there) for going on medical leaves from this and not given the chance to catch up. So now I cant get tests or surgeries since I have no insurance now...

~mel

Closed Thread