It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
(male)

newarkde HB User
At my ropes end

Hello, I am in a really bad place. I lost my PM doc on Nov 1 because he found out out that I saw another Dr. while under his care. I even asked the people at the pharmacy if it was a problem if I got another script filled, and they said no. But they called the dr's and let them know, so that did me in. Anyway I had an appt with a new dr last week. He said that before he prescribed me any meds, I would need to take a drug test within 24 hrs. They did give me an appt in 1 wk (today). I went in today at my appt time (10:30am), I saw the dr at 4:30pm. The waiting room was packed and everyone was upset. The same thing happened last week, I waited 7 hrs.
However, when I did see the Dr he told he that the results from lab core came back but the urinalysis was delayed, blood work came out fine, but drug test didnt come back. He said he couldnt do anything until he got this info. Guys, honestly, (and I told the Dr. this) the test would be ok, maybe a sign of marijuana b/c of secondary smoke.
After waiting many hours for nothing I was sent on my way. The dr wants me to come back next Tue for a discogram. I do not feel he should be making any $ off me when he has done nothing. I had to miss 2 days from work due to the amount of wait time, and missed 1/2 of a day for the drug test.
I have good insurance with bcbs. But I do not know what to do. I cannot live like this,,,, the last week was unbearable... Please,,, any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: At my ropes end

Is there any way you can get your PCP doctor or family doctor to prescribe your meds until your next appt with the PM doc?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
(male)

newarkde HB User

My PCP has told me he does not believe in prescribing pain medicine. At my last appt he told me that he wouldnt do it, before I even asked him. Which confused me and ****** me off. I need to find a new PCP, because I need to have a dr that has the same philosophy as me. I believe that if you are in pain, you should have access to medicine to relieve that pain. Any dr that blanketly refuses to do that, I dont agree with.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I understand your position, but you have to remember you broke the rules by getting pain meds from 2 different doctors. I don't know how long you have been in pain management, but most of us sign a contract that says we will not get pain meds from any other doc but our pain doc. By asking the pharmacist, you obviously were unsure and to be safe you should have called your PM doc.

Consider yourself lucky that another doc is considering giving you pain meds again. If you have to wait until some test results come in so be it, you put yourself into this situation. Also if you think the doc is not going to care that you show positive for marijuana, you might be surprised. My contract states no illegal drugs, including marijuana. I hope you don't show positive, but I can't believe he will prescribe for you if you do, even if it's "second hand".

I'm not trying to be harsh it's just that we all know the rules we have to follow to get adequate treatment and this is why docs get so hesitant to prescribe. We are all adults here and just need to follow a few simple rules that are in the best interest of everyone involved. If you get approved with this doc, please do what you are supposed to do.

melissa

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
(male)

jamesm HB User

You won't get a positive test from second-hand marijuana smoke. Sorry, that's a poor excuse. There are plenty of research studies that back this fact up.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
(female)

mommy2babies HB User

Boxerlover said everything very well. We all know the rules of PM and you have to follow them or risk loosing your dr.. The pharmacist is not the person to ask if you have a question like this - getting rx's from two different doctors isn't necessarily against the law, which is what the pharmacist probably assumed you were asking. But getting 2 rx's from different doctors does go against the rules most PM doctors set up.

I do sympothize with you sitting at this new doctors office for all those hours. That is very frustrating and painful. I don't understand why some doctors over book their appointments so much, but for some reason some docs do.

If you are lucky enough to find a new doctor, please make sure you are aware of what you can and can't do so you don't get yourself into this mess again.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I don't see how cutting off your nose to spite your face by refusing to do a diagnostic test that may lead to solving your problem is going to make the greatest impression. He doesn't have the screen, he told you he wasn't going to prescribe. If you want to get better and find out if anything can be done, your'e going to have to pay someone or you will never know if there is a better option than simply making you dependnet on opiates the rest of your life. If he finds a shreaded disc that leaks dye up and down the epidural space, you may need to be talking to a surgeon, not a PM doc. But delaying a diagnostic only hurts you.

By the time of the disco, he would have the results and if he feels comfortable prescribe something, he can do it then. So where do things stand now. No disco untill you get a script? Does that sound like someone desperate for pain relief or someone that believes they deserve the drugs because they paid for an office visit.

Most docs don't believe everyone is entitled to pain meds simply because they complain or have a scar from surgery years ago. It's understandable why a doc would be hesitant, especially when you say your'e around a lot of second hand smoke. I haven't met too many patients that don't care to find out why they have pain as long as they get a script. It makes it look like you will only be compliant and do what he asks or suggests if you get what you want.

Even better than a script would be to find their is a solution and a reason your in so much pain.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 11-16-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I never signed any contract with pain management. Could it be because I was the one that suggested I go there? I just got my first epidural and my pain meds refilled by my surgeon. I told them I took pain meds. They even told me to take them if I have pain after the shot. Guess everyone is different. I think you are being a little rough. I don't think it should matter who you get the prescription from as long as you are not double dipping. This is my first time with pain management so not sure how it works.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hessie - the fact that you didn't sign a pain management contract probably has nothing to do with you as a person, your honesty, integrity, the fact that you asked to go there or not go there......most pain management practices do require patients to sign contracts, it's just par for the course. But, not all docs ask you to do this. I've never signed a contract in the past, but expect that I will be asked to do so when I start seeing a new pain management doc in December. Contracts give doctors a way to back up their policies and if a patient violates their contract it gives docs a way to terminate a patient by referring back to a signed document. Good luck and keep posting. Memere (K'Mac)

Closed Thread