It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
(male)

videogamecrazed HB User
QUESTION FOR METHADONE USERS, or others if u can help

HELLO all!!

My PM DR just switched me from 20mg oxycontin ER x3 a day to 20mg of methadone every 12 hours. The Oxycontin Gave me okay pain relief, I was building a tolerance to it, when i first started it gave me GREAT pain relief and lasted all of the 8 hours that it was supposed to. It now only lasts 6 hours at best, and only provides relief if I remain sedentary and dont budge an inch. My PM dr told me to think about methadone, so i did, and we made the switch to the above stated dosing. So far the pain relief is WONDERFULLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my pain is literally only about 3 on a 10 scale after 4 years of 7-10 pain all the time on meds and 2 failed back surgerys. I would say that My life was given back to me except for one thing! My dizzyness is soooo bad that I can not stand at times and It makes me unable to concentrate, and I constantly nod off to sleep, even in the bathroom in the middle of the day at work. I am very opiod tolerant and have literally been on just about every pain med out there on low to very high doses and have literally never had a problem with the side affects from the opiods (nothing severe, or to complain about anyhow). So my question to you all is this. Have any of you every experienced this with methadone, and if so did it go away or did it cause you to switch meds. Also if the pain releif is working this well is there any kind of treatment that can be added to make me more awake/alert, and less dizzy! I sure hope so because this pain relief is WONDERFULL but i dont know if i can deal with the side affects.. Thanks to you all in advance and sorry for the long post as this is very important to me. God bles you all!! hope your days are pain free!

Last edited by videogamecrazed; 11-14-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: hit the enter button before I had typed the message body

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
(male)

whosit HB User
Re: QUESTION FOR METHADONE USERS, or others if u can help

I have never been on methadone so dont know if i can help you or not but done ALOT of research on it when my doc presented it as on option as a long acting pain med. i went with the oxycontin because I already had percocet and I knew oxycodone worked fairly well for me. I know that from what other ppl have said here it is a wonderful pain drug for alot of ppl and lasts alot longer than others. it has a way higher half-life than oxy so that is why it lasts longer. i have heard they were hard to come off of when not needed anymore though so that is why i didnt choose it, that and i didnt want the pharmacy to think i was a recovering addict or anything when filling it. i was also told that tolerance builds to it much more slowly than other pain meds to so that is a plus. Like I said though i can offer any personal experience about it but there are many here that can so keep checking back for what they say about it. Hope that helped you a little!

whosit

Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
(female)

barbie62 HB User

Hi video, I am currently on the same dose of Methadone except I take it every 8 hours. I first started taking it in the beginning of the summer. You are right about the pain relief only I went from a 9 to a 7 to 8 which I thought was good. Well I could not take all of the side effects anymore so I went off of it after about 8 weeks. It was working better than I thought. I am now back on it with many side effects. Yes i get dizzy and very sleepy. The sleepyness will go away i think. but if not I believe there is a med that can help with that. I am not able to work or drive so if I fall asleep on the potty then it is no big deal. I have done it many times because of the other 2 side effects, constipation and problems peeing. I have the first one under control but I have to sit and wait to pee. It becomes very frustrating. So if those are the only 2 side effects that you have then you are lucky. From what I have learned most people can not take the side effects and go off of it even if it is the best pain control they have had. My problem now is that I just moved and I have to find a new PM. Well i guess in my new state it is very hard to get Meth and I do not have insurance so I am a cash patient. I am learning that is not good either.
Good luck and I hope you are able to continue with the Methadone.
Barbara

Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Wow! 20mgs! My PM put me on 2.5 mg at bedtime and here I am at 0853 trying to stay awake. I can't imagine what 20mg would do to me. And further more being constipated all the time isn't much fun. Fred

Old 11-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I found methadone to be the best pain med ever. Yes, there was the sleepiness to deal with. For that my pain doc prescribed Dexedrine, which is a stimulant normally used for ADD. It worked very well for the sleepiness. Provigil can also help but my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I have been a chronic pain patient for almost 10 years now with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Neuropathy from lung surgery, and now Spinal Arthritis. I have gone through a lot of different pain medications and became opiate tolerant on all of them. I went up to 480 mg on Oxycontin, plus 30 mg qid of Oxycodone for BT pain.

When my doctor switched me to Methadone, he started me at 10 mg tid, even though I had been on several other pain meds. We titrated up from there and I finally got good relief when I got up to 60 mg tid. 180 mg a day and I know all the side effects that are being discussed. I have been at this dose (with no BT meds) for over four years and have found there are some side effects that just don't go away. Some will, with time, but there are several that won't, no matter how long you are on the drug.

The ones that remain for me, are driving long distances I get very sleepy. I have to either take no medication at all or just a small dose, prior to leaving. By long distances, I mean 3+ hours. Around town, I am able to drive fine. The other problems are reading and watching television. It seems to be if you are doing activities that are stimulating in nature or require activity on your part, you can do without a problem.

I have gone for over four years without a dosage increase and as I said, nothing for BT pain. It is problem the best pain coverage of any medication that I have had and I have had most of them over the years.

For Barbara, to be on Methadone and not have insurance is not a big deal, as long as you have some income. It is very cheap. I think you most likely get by for $60 a month, unless you are on a dose like I am. I don't know what the retail is on mine, but I pay $15 co-pay for 540, 10 mg tabs. that is my monthly script. One other point, if possible have your pharmacist fill your script with Methadone made by Roxane. It is by far the better medication over Methadose, which is made by Mallinkcrodt. Their medication is inferior when compared to the Roxane medication.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
(male)

videogamecrazed HB User

As always I wanted to say Thankyou To everyone on the boards for the GREAT info and multiple points of view. I have however, switched back to my dosage of 20mg of OxyContin x3 a day with no break through meds. I could no longer take the VERY shakiness all over my body, the nodding off on the toileet and everywhere else in between and the nausea soooo BAD that i though i had the flue bug. Of course being Friday my Dr's office almost didnt even call me back till 2 in the afternoon and told me to bring my Methadone back to them and they would give me a RX for my oxy's again. I live 2 hours in rush hour traffic away so, I took off (in rush hour traffic of coures lol) trying to beat the Friday traffic before the closed so I did not have to feel like poo over the whole weekend. Well, I did get my RX picked up but i noticed, when i arived at the pharmacy that the DR did not write name brand as necessary ( which I depend on with this type of med for me) I also requested that I be given a RX dosage increase (after all I switched meds in hope of stronger/longer pain relief) to combat the issues that I had been having with the med. Too no avail the nurse gave me half hearted answers as to what the "dr said" and that I need to speak with him on monday. Translation: "I am a nurse, I am busy today, its friday, I forgot to ask him your question and I dont care to ask this late in the day since I get to go home soon and also since I dont have to live my day in pain like yourself, leave me the hell alone and please call us monday where you will be placed in que with all the rest of you Patients being given this answer today!" ROFL...okay i had to say it lol..but you all know what I mean right? lol...anyway I hope to speak with my Dr. again on December 7 at my next appt. I am not going to call before this due to the fact that I do not want to look like a drug seeking Patient or be a pain in the butt since I still feel as if I am still trying to build a good DR and Patient relationship at this point. Well I will now let you all go after griping again and also saying Thank you for everyones help. And incase I did not say, YES I am feeling soo much better after getting off of the methadone but damn it was most def WONDERFULL pain relief but horrible side affects.

Hope your day is pain free God Bless my Friends!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
(female)

barbie62 HB User

Video, I am glad that you are feeling better. Like I said I know what you went thru.
Director, I think the cost is about 60 a month hat I meant was that here in my new state they do not often prescribe meth and if they do you have to have insurance. My old dr. said they could call him and he would vouch for me but I can't find anyone to take me. I am in extreme pain since I am only taking half of my dose and also not taking my break thru because for some reason the cost of Dilaudid has gone up from about 11 dollars for 140 to 78. for the same amount. Like I said we don't have insurance and my husband is currently not working and I am waiting to hear about my social security. So hopefully my calling will pay off.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Barbara

Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Barbie...I don't know who told you that you have to have insurance to be on Methadone, but nothing could be further from the truth. Find yourself an understanding doctor or get into a PM clinic and as long as they will write you a script for Methadone, you can go down to any pharmacy and get it filled. It's about the cheapest medication you can be on for CP.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I wish you had given the methadone more time for your body to adjust to it. it looks like you were only on it for a few days. It can take weeks to take effect and for the side effects to leave you. I hope you made the right decision as your Dr may not want to increase your dosage or he would have offered that before switching you to methadone. good luck, I hope this works out for you.

SS

Closed Thread