It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Unhappy Does the weather affect your pain

I am having a bad pain day and decided to check the aches and pains forecast on weather website, and low and behold it is moderate to high for today where I live. I try not to look ahead because I know sometimes it could be a psychological effect (a little). However, I did not look forward to today.

Does the weather directly effect anyone else's pain levels? If you live in an area where it is getting cold this time of year, has your pain increased?

I am just frustrated because I can't really increase my pain meds because the side effects become too much to handle and I can't function very well (if at all). I was trying to get my doc to switch my Ultram to something else but he wants me to try the TENS unit first. Oh by the way that is not my only pain med, I am also on the fentanyl patch, lyrica, and acetaminophen. Thanks for letting me vent.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

linda71 HB User
Re: Does the weather affect your pain

Yes I do have increased pain with cold, rain and dampness. I have arthritis and a few other bone things going on. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Absolutly it does, i took naproxen for many yrs for my arthritis.Lately it hasnt been working as well so my Dr. changed me to Celebrex and it works very well for me. Goodluck !

Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

High pressure systems KILL my fusion site and the bulging disc below, I can predict wind storms and thunderstorms wayyyyy better than the weather channel, lol.

I once wound up in the ER when it got so bad I couldnt turn my head without bursting into tears, I looked like Ed Sullivan in drag! The doctor had also had a fusion and said he got the exact same thing, its from the air pockets in the bone fusions.

Maybe we should all start our own weather web site!

Hugs, Fabby

Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I'm one more with a barometric back. We have more lows than highs on the coast and I feel them before the weather actually gets here. Low pressure cells draw storms in so they always lead a storm by a day or so.

They say synovial fluid expands and contracts with barometric pressure Low pressure would cause expansion of fluid and increased pressure, Higher pressure would cause dispersion and more bone on bone type pain/problems.
Take care, Dave

Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Add me to the list of human baromoters...

My problem is that not only do I know it in my back at my 2 Level fusion site, I also have Barometric Pressure Induced Migranes!! YIKES... I have the double whammy!!

I live in Hurricane Prone Territory....Hurricane Katrina Ground Zero to be Exact...MS Gulf Coast...and I suffer every summer with the intense pressure swings...so much so that if a storm is comming...I know it even before it has entered the Gulf of Mexico. No kidding, my range is about 500-600 miles...and WHAM...I'm one sick puppy.

We rode out Hurricane Georges in our beachfront home (NOT A WISE IDEA) and I was SOOO sick the entire time. By the time the eye hit, I was so exhausted, I passed out, and totally slept thru the backside of the hurricane.

Thankfully, we evacuated for Katrina...Not much left to our area, though thankfully we only had to put a new roof on our house!!! But even in Tallahassee, FL, I was still affected by the Barometric Pressure.

I'm glad to know that I'm not just a freak, and that there are others out there that are influenced by BP.

Take care and hope your day is as pain free as can be!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 11-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Yes,very much so! I live in upstate ny[adirondacks] and the winters are very cold,and my pain level goes up. The last 4-5 yrs,I've been taking 60mg of oxycontin tid. But when the cold weather comes,I go up to 80mg tid.
I have a new doc since May,and I have to bring this up to him next app.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

You can add me to list of barometric pack too. We just recently had a spell of real cold weather and also got some much needed rain. For a week and a half my knees, ankles and feet hurt so bad that I couldn't even walk on them until about 3 or 4 o'clock in the evening. I spent most of the morning and afternoon with my feet and legs wrap up from where they were cold and hurt so bad. Now the cold is settling in and the arthritis in my hands are so bad I can hardly write, thank God I'm still about to type a little bit on the computer.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Add me to the list! The weird thing about my pain is ANY change in the weather hurts. It's like I get used to rainy, cold weather and if it clears up my pain is jacked back up. In Michigan the weather changes a lot especially in spring and fall. The pm just put me on oxycontin after trying injections and morphine and many others. I still hurt but, so far, it's better and I don't feel like sleeping all the time. Fred

Old 11-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

We are expecting storms tomorrow and well lets just say I am miserable!!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Fred,
I do know what you mean since I am just one state south here in Ohio. It is weird with the pain index on the weather channel's website. The pain scale is not necessarily high on days that it is raining or snowing. I am not sure why that is but I will have to do some research in my spare time

Closed Thread