It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
what is Norco, how does it compare to Percocet?

My doc. switched me to Norco(hydroco/apa 10-325) from endocet, I have been in alot of pain this past week with not much relief from the endocet, which by the second dose of the day would normally hold me & give me the control I needed. The pain was getting way out of control back to the dry heaves could not even eat stuff along with a day of missed work. I can't get into the doc until the end of dec. so the rehab doc called me in norco, what is the difference & can I half them if I need to? I halfed the endocet with the doc & pharmacists ok at times for driving work & so forth. I am to start them today & just thought I would refer to the boards, what can I expect from the norco vs the endocet? Is the norco stronger then endocet? I have to admit these meds make me nervous when I have to try something new.I am glad it is the weekend I don't like to try new meds when I am busy during the week & next week I have a huge amount of responsabilities, in my line of work others depend on me & I feel terrable when I let them down. any opinions as usual would be appreciated. sammy
ps. took the norco with no relief, I know this doc. knows my pain can get nasty, it is confusing as heck to know which one I will get more relief from. I don't understand why he would call me in something less effective when the perocet was not lasting or giving me enough relief. Any clue?

Last edited by sammyo1; 12-01-2007 at 09:34 AM.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: what is Norco, how does it compare to Percocet?

Percocet is much stronger, and in my opinion targets the actual pain, instead of just masking it (that's how I feel Norco works anyway). Percocet helps my pain so much better. I don't know why they would give you a weaker med either?? Seems idiotic. That's like going to your boss and asking for a raise because you need the $$$$, and instead he says, "Nay, I think will pay you less....lets try that for a while and see if that works!" LOL That's just silly. I am so sorry you are hurting. I am having problems too with too much pain, and no one in charge listening to me. I feel your frustration, and just hope things get better for you very soon!

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Its impossible to know which of the two is stronger without knowing the dose and strength of each product. For many people, the 10mg of Hydrocodone in the Norco tablets might well provide more pain relief than the 5mg of oxycodone that might be in an endocet tablet. Also, the 10mg Norco are just about the strongest pain medication that a doctor is even capable of calling in to a pharmacy. Anything stronger would likely be a schedule II narcotic and require a hand written prescription from the doctor. Give the new medication a chance, it could well provide the relief you need.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 12-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks guys both of you kind of answered my questions, the percocet is also 10mg, but if that is all he could call in that may be why he did so. The office said they do not like to deal with scripts on a friday, but he is only in the office near where I live on monday mornings. Perhaps he just hoped for the best, but who knows, I was disappointed that it gave me no more relief & had such a awful last few days. I know he had a hard time even getting a needle in for an injection (due to muscle spasms)so he has to realize the kind of pain I can have. the thought of it just getting worse & worse with no relief scares me. I have alot of inflammation in the chest down to the ribs & it can be scary when it is out of control. I will give the new med a chance but for the day I will stick to the percocet at least I know what it expect. It is to bad there is not a good pain pill with an anti inflammatory together, throw in something for a good muscle relaxer I maybe, just maybe I would get alittle relief. Individualy nothing has worked to well. thanks again. Sammy

Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

If you want an anti-inflammatory you could always add ibuprophen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) if you can handle these.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks brian tried both, I take advil in between but have to be careful bother the stomach. I will take half a diazapam for the muscle if it gets bad, tried all the relaxers also. I could always get by with not taking to much (1-2 percocet) & at least it was livable, but the last week have added motrin & somthing for the muscles, it really bothers me to have to do this I do not like putting all this into my body. No one has found anything to help much with the inflammation. I am worried sick about the holidays & work. 2 appointments before then hopefully something can be found or at least get some relief. Sammy

Closed Thread