It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

eddie300 HB User
The lab test shows " Hydromorphone ( Dilaudid ) "

Hi Y'all, Its been a while since I've been here to the boards, hope everyone is doing fine....... I have a question, especially for those thats been a round for awhile. I take Methadone and Lortab daily for chronic lower back pain. I just had a urinalysis done last Tuesday at my Docs and Friday my nurse called and said that another drug plus my regular drugs showed up. This other drug is called hydromorphone, or Dilaudid, I guess is the brand name. I've never been prescribed that drug and definitely never taken that drug. So I ran back over to the docs right away and gave another urine sample. I don't understand how this could happen. No one in my house even has other pain meds so its not like I took theirs or got some mixed up.... If my urine comes back with this other drug in it again I'm sure my Doctor will release me from his care. These are people I really like and trust so I'm really upset that in their minds I probably look like a big 'ol drug head ..... Has anyone ever had this happen ?? Could it be possible the lab contaminated my urine? I'm so upset about this, it's like a nightmare. I'l let y'all know what happens when my nurse calls me next week. Take care all, eddie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User
Re: The lab test shows " Hydromorphone ( Dilaudid ) "

Make them give you a copy of the urine screen. The report probably shows the hydrocodone that is in the Lortab, and the nurse wouldn't be the first one who mistook hydrocodone for hydromorphone. In fact, most basic urine screens would not differentiate between these two compounds I believe. Instead they screen for families of compounds and these two drugs in particular would fall into the same family. I would really question the nurse again.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
(male)

eddie300 HB User

Thank you very much, I will definitely check that. I hope it is that simple, thanks again, eddie

Old 12-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I seem to remember Shore talking about how certain meds can break down in your system and show up as something else, Dave, I may be totally remembering wrong, but would that have anything to do with this?

HTH~Fabby

Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
(male)

erfan HB User

I might be mistaken, but I could have remembered reading smewhere that hydro and oxy breakdown into hydromorphone in your body.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfan View Post
I might be mistaken, but I could have remembered reading smewhere that hydro and oxy breakdown into hydromorphone in your body.
I remember this too.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
(male)

eddie300 HB User

Thats interesting, thanks for reading my post and sharing that with me.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I know 20% of oxy metabolizes into dilaudid, not sure about the hydro or about the statement about an entire calss testing as one. The first UA my present doc did 4 years ago while I used oxy as a BT with methadone came back positive for dilaudid and negative for oxy but that was the limit of that tests abilty. It was exceptable to test positive for hydromorphorph and not oxy back then. Now my docs use a much more advanced lab and test test and even cconfirm their test with GC/MS and can now tell tell the difference between oxy and hydromorphone. The new test costs about 800 bucks where the old was a 70 buck comercial rap[id test kit, off the shelf used by lab corp.

Technology changes but it doesn't mean a lab isn't using the oldeer/cheaper rapid tests that are still avaialable and not as efective. AS far as drugs in the same class, Morphine, Heroin and codeine are both in the same class of natural opioids and they do test for different metabolites for those 3, so I'm not sure about the keto synthetic class oxycodone, hydromorph and oxymorphone are in. I'll try to do some digging. If you could find the name of the comercial imuno essay that was used I could find more specifc info on that test. Just because it goes to a lab doesn't mean they don't pull a test kit out of a box of hundreds and uses a rapid test that has flaws. If they used GC/MS you would know by the financial release you would sign to cover the potential uncovered expense when their are cheaper and less acurate tests most insurance co's prefer they use.

Sorry your going thorugh this. Next time someone says they are only hurting themself by abusing their meds, your a prime example of all the rest who pay the cost for those that abuse.

Good luck, Dave

Hydrocodone testing:In the 72-hour urine, approximately 12% of a single hydrocodone dose is excreted as unchanged hydrocodone, 5% as norhydrocodone, 4% as conjugated hydromorphone, 3% as 6-hydrocodol, and 0.1% as conjugated 6-hydromorphol.

Some hydro is metabolized into Dilaidid or hydromorphone, not as much as oxycodone, but if it breaks down into even a small portion the potential for false negative for or false positive for dialudid are possible.

Last edited by Shoreline; 12-02-2007 at 05:34 AM.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
(male)

eddie300 HB User

Thank you Dave, without all of y'alls input I never would have known these things, I appreciate you and the other Seniors that have responded. I feel more confident and less anxious to know these things you posted. thanks, eddie

Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
(male)

eddie300 HB User

Hello all ! I got word from my nurse this morning that my second urinalysis came back negative for Dilaudid. So you know I am so relieved.... I actually broke down once and bawled for a few minutes on Saturday because I felt horrible to know that they probably thought I was a drughead taking advantage of them. Thanks again to those who responded to my original post on this situation. Take care, eddie

Old 12-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
(male)

eddie300 HB User

I am very thankful and happy it got " sorted out". My Doctor has been very nice about the whole thing, which is great , you can imagine how some people react to these things, well, we read about it all the time right here on the 'boards, how people who take pain meds or lots of meds get treated. My Doctor told me just recently he found out that one of the , I think its an anti-depressant, I'm sure now it was Zoloft he was talking about , has been found to metabolize into a benzodiazepine in some people ! Which is nothing to really worry about, unless you do show positive for benzos and your not prescribed them, youd be in the same boat I was.... Happy Holidays y'all ! eddie

Old 12-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Thats great news Eddie! Keep posting, thats why we're here, I'm sure you'll end up helping us out too, everyone's hard won knowledge on here helps the entire pain community.

I am so proud to be a member of this board, the people are not only smart and helpful, they are kind, and there's not enough of that in the world.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 06-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
(male)

Cabledude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie300 View Post
Hi Y'all, Its been a while since I've been here to the boards, hope everyone is doing fine....... I have a question, especially for those thats been a round for awhile. I take Methadone and Lortab daily for chronic lower back pain. I just had a urinalysis done last Tuesday at my Docs and Friday my nurse called and said that another drug plus my regular drugs showed up. This other drug is called hydromorphone, or Dilaudid, I guess is the brand name. I've never been prescribed that drug and definitely never taken that drug. So I ran back over to the docs right away and gave another urine sample. I don't understand how this could happen. No one in my house even has other pain meds so its not like I took theirs or got some mixed up.... If my urine comes back with this other drug in it again I'm sure my Doctor will release me from his care. These are people I really like and trust so I'm really upset that in their minds I probably look like a big 'ol drug head ..... Has anyone ever had this happen ?? Could it be possible the lab contaminated my urine? I'm so upset about this, it's like a nightmare. I'l let y'all know what happens when my nurse calls me next week. Take care all, eddie

Old 06-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
(male)

Cabledude HB User

Eddie300,
Don't those doctors and nurses you go and see know anything? When you take Loratab it has Hydrocodone in it when Hydrocodone is Metabolized in the body it shows up in a urine test as Hydromorphone which is Dilaudid. I know this for a fact because the Veterans administration Hospital kicked me out of their pain clinic for substance abuse which was a big lie. I left that hospital and started at another pain clinic they always wanted to give me injections before they would give me my script for the pain killers they knew I needed desperately, I told them put them where the sun don't shine anymore. Long story short I went through 7 more doctors until I finally found one that actually cared about the pain in my back and after I showed him the proof of over 80 injections 12 to 14 being epidurals he said he would never mention injection to me again. He done his standard urine test for that year and found hydrocodone and hydromorphone and didn't even question it because I had already told him 2 weeks before that I had to have 3 back teeth pulled that were giving me a lot of trouble and they gave me the Loratab. He then explained about it metabolizing into Hydromorphone and when I got home I look it up on the computer and found it in a bunch of locations. Sorry for such a long response but I been going through this for almost 35 years and I can tell you all kinds of horror stories. If I can help you in the future feel free to drop me a line.
Cabledude

Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Hydrocodone (Lortab) is broken down into hydromorphone in the liver - anyone who takes Lortab will have some hydromorphone in their system.

Try and explain this to your doctor - it is widely known and well referenced.

Closed Thread