It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
If percocet is taken during day, is it safe to take the norco at night

Just thought I would ask I have had to recently increase my pain meds while waiting to get into the surgeon, I take one percocet 10-325 in am, one in early afternoon & lately have had to take one late evening, but since is normally right before I retire for the night I was wondering if anyone knew if it is safe to take the norco at night, I always make sure the meds are spaced at least 6hrs or more apart. I will ask the doc but wont seeing him for awhile. I am afraid of running out of the perocet before the next visit due to having to up them as of last week, which the doc said to do if I had to. the norco did not work well but I thought perhaps night time would not be so bad since I am normally relaxing by then. I tried to not take an evening/night dose & was up all night & had major pain this morning, even tried taking some motrin to see if it would help to avoid the third dose, not much relief there. Anyone know if it would be safe the norco is also 10-325. Thanks, Sammy

Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: If percocet is taken during day, is it safe to take the norco at night

It should be safe to take the Norco as well. It will just add to the drowsiness and possibly a little dizziness or lightheadedness. If you are sleeping way too much then the dose may be do high. Try one out tonight and see what the effects are in the morning or whenever you get up.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

I think it would be fine. Norco is just 10mg of hydrocodone, and 325mg of tylenol, and Percocet (the one you're on) is 10 of oxycodone and 325 of tylenol. So, either way, you're getting the same amount of tylenol, but you're just substituting the hydro for the oxy. I think lots of people take Oxycontin (which is just oxy without the tylenol) for a long acting pain med and hydrocodone for breakthrough. Maybe I'm wrong. Anybody want to add to or take away from what I've said? I know I took Percocet and Lortab (same as Norco, but with more tylenol) after my c-section, and I was fine.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Just watch your tylenol grams - no more than 4000 mg. per day. You should be safe with the does you are taking but remember we are not doctors just another spinney like you. Hope you feel better.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks guys, I always try to be careful, alittle fearful of meds. Also alittle fearful of running out of percocet before my next appoinntment, the doc who takes care of my meds is only in my area one morning a week. Gods know I tried to not to increase the meds but tired of suffering. I swear it is awful to have to worry so much about medication I am praying this surgeon I will be seeing can do something I hated dealing with all these issues as I am sure you all do to. Sammy

Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy - yes I think it is a crime that as pain suffers we have to worry about our meds so much. I think it only adds anxiety to our list of problems.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I might as well add my $.02 worth. It is an added stress to have to worry about things like making your meds last but still get the pain down. I'm also finding it is getting more challenging keeping track of what to take and when. I've got the seven day pill box but some I have to take with food and some I don't and sometimes I just plain forget to write down the time I took what. Gettin' old is a pain! Fred

Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Fred I don't believe it has anything to do with old age - I am 42 and I have the same problem. Gosh I hope I am not considered old yet?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Pepper, to me , at 55, you are not even close to being old. But to a 10 year old you are ancient. Fred

Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

when i first had my accident 2 yrs. ago, my doctor had me taking the 10/325 norco during the day and then 1 10/325 percocet at night. i only did it for about 1 week after my accident but the percocet made me nauseous and dizzy but worked great on my pain. so during the day i took the norco to function and the percocet at night to help with pain. it should be fine. but...as someone mentioned be careful with APAP intake. at the doses you are taking you should be fine. just remember though that when it comes to your meds you should always talk to your doctor. god bless, morgy porgy

Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok guys took the norco last night, nothing, no relief at all, thank god I was tired enough to fall asleep. I raised my arm in my sleep & woke up sobbing, I am sick of this, I can not control what I do in my sleep, I can not raise that arm at all or I am in complete agony, so I expect not to get a whole lot of relief from even the perocet today & probably the next few days, so darn sick of this all. Bad enough the percocet on some days only last acouple hours.
Fred I use the 7 days pill dispenser to, & like pepper I am 42, but days like today I feel 100. If I don't use the dispenser I get confused I am always in a rush on the days I have to work.

I am fed up with being in pain, have an appointment with surgeon end of month & I am going to be as prepared as I can so I will be posting some questions. I am tired of worrying about these darn meds & I am letting my rehab doc know, he knows or should know by know I try very hard to take the lowest dose to help me. Well I don't want to suffer anymore. Heck I thought in my 40's I would enjoy my life alittle more, you know kids are older more independent, well heck I feel cheated. bad enough gravity is kicking in & my body is reminding me of the song "low rider". Pepper we are young according to people Freds age & old according those my kids age, so pick one! Today I feel old, hopefully soon I will feel young & to heck with gravity, body parts just head south the older we get, to bad the rest of me can't go south to get the heck out of the cold for awhile.
Well I will be playing frosty the snowman today & keep icing, was fine in the summer but not so fine now. Thanks guys, Fred you take care, watch out for the icy patches when your out & about, got to love michigan. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 12-13-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #12
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

okay i am not sure if you have tried this but...buy a body pillow. i found mine gives me support which apparently keeps me from tossing and turning as much at night. just a thought. god bless, morgy porgy

Old 12-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are so sweet, I put a body pillow at the left side of me so I can't roll onto that side, for the most part is stays there, I put it under heavy blankets because I was shoving it off in my sleep. I am not sure if there is another way it can be used. I have tried to think of everything I could do, but I welcome any suggestions at all, at this point I am beyond desperate. Thanks, Sammy

Closed Thread