It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

cajungirl86 HB User
how long can you take pain killers everyday before getting addicted to them

how long can you take methadone everyday before getting addicted to them

Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: how long can you take pain killers everyday before getting addicted to them

Cajungirl,
The word that you really want to use is dependence and not addiction. You can do a search on these boards here. Search for the word "ADDICTION" on the PAIN MANAGEMENT board and you should find many threads on this topic. I think there should be a thread at the top explaining the HUGE difference between DEPENDENCE and ADDICTION. Anyone who takes narcotic medications probably for longer than 2 weeks will become dependent on them. This means that you would experience withdrawal if you were to stop them cold turkey. This also applies to other medications such as anti-depressants. The only way that you would become addicted is if you started taking more of the methdone than prescribed or if you are taking it for the "feeling" that it gives you or the "high" that it gives you and not taking it for actual legitimate pain. The big thing to remember is to not take more than the pain you are having which means you need to always have a little bit of pain that you are experiencing. So if you get to the point where you pain is say a 1 on a scale of 1-10 and then you take another dose, you probably will experience a high. And one you experience this you may become addicted. However, you will know that you are addicted if you are taking more than recommended, if you are doctor shopping for more, going out on the streets and getting it illegally, your quality of life starts to really go down hill, you are not paying any attention to your health, people are telling you that you are taking too much, etc. Hope this help you realize the difference between addiction and dependence. The medication should help you have a better quality of life and not the other way around (which happens with addiction).

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 12-12-2007 at 02:02 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpain33 For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (02-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungirl86 View Post
how long can you take methadone everyday before getting addicted to them
Hi Cajungirl,
Brian is right, there is a huge difference between physical dependence and addiction. If you take your meds as prescribed, for pain, the chances of a full blown addiction are really very very small, all things considered. An addict will go through doctors fairly fast because they will be asking for early refills. If a person starts using multiple providers and pharmacies there is a good chance the DEA will catch on and a task force might knock on the door. Sadly, it does happen and it can be deadly. Peace...Paulo

Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
(male)

zakman628 HB User

That is a pretty hardcore drug. Id be careful with it and if at any time you do anything irrational or try to justify any misuse id talk to your doctor

Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Thumbs down Re: how long can you take pain killers everyday before getting addicted to them

I hate it when I click on a "new" thread only to find it has been resurrected. This post is over 4 years old.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I definitely consider myself dependent to pain medication (much as I'm dependent on my other medication for my other conditions). I look at my medications as a very necessary aspect of my medical care for management of my pain.

~ Fiona Jo :

Closed Thread