It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User
Got a Pain Doc Recommendation?

Hey Moldova:

Pepper suggested I reach out to you for a pain doc recommendation. I see you're having a surgery soon, by the way, and wish you much success.

I also see that you live in Deal. I'm in Atlantic Highlands, so we're sort of Jersey girl neighbors. I'm writing to you because it's time for me to switch pain docs (not happy with current doc -- Scott Metzger in Shrewsbury) and I'm looking for a recommendation for one in Manhattan (where I work) or Monmouth County. Are you happy with your doc?

When I look in my health plan directory, the names mean nothing to me.

Thanks for any help you can offer and warm fuzzy thoughts for a good outcome with your surgery.

Schragie

Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Got a Pain Doc Recommendation?

Hi neighbor, nice to meet you!

Not only I can recommend him to anybody, I would suggest to see him. This was the best experience for me. My first app. with DR Waldman was 2 hours. He went through every test I had done, he evaluated me in a different positions, he asked many-many questions.

Before he prescribed stronger dose of PK I had to give my urine test and sign contract. I was very happy about it since my first PM never asked me questions, I could have poscriptions as many as I want. I am very responsible when it comes to narco meds and would never obuse them, but how many people can't control pain without them? Those poor people can become addicts without even knowing it since DR, like my previous one, never call or controls their meds.

He changed my Neurontin to Keppra, than 2 weeks later he called and increased the dose, it gave me side effects, he changed it again. His nurse/assistant such a pleasure to talk to and so helpful.
If you leave a message, they call you right the way , you need meds, they immideately call your pharmacy.

DR Camissa insisted I go to him for discogram. He said that he discogram is like a map for a surgeon during surgery. That is so important who is doing discogram. He said that he trust him a lot and there fore I have to have this done with him since my surgery will be major and it needs a good confirmation. I hesitated at first since DR Waldman does not participate insurances but they work with you.

He was great, they called me to find out how am I doing. 2 weeks later after my discogram I got much worse and called them about it. Same day he made room to see me, added some meds, listen to me, never rushed to leave the room.
I am so happy to find the DR who cares and listens, I finally feel confident than I am in a good hands. I don't have anymore hundreds unanswered questions, I am good now.

His office is at HSS. You going to love him, I promisse. I did not go to him to make a friend or to see a sweet face. I needed a good DR and I found everything in him.
If you have any questions - I am happy to answer them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User

Wow, Moldova. Thank you so much for this recommendation! He's not in my health plan <<<sigh>>> but I think I'll make an appointment for a consult anyway. Still waiting for my CT results but I should have them early next week. I'm fine with a urine test and contract. They'll find almost no opiates in my system since my pain doc doesn't "believe" in them and prescribes me only enough for one pill a day. I should tell my doc I no longer "believe" in him.

I called my current pain doc today to ask about Lyrica because I am still having bad side effects after 4 weeks. I wanted to know if (a) it was likely these side effects would go away if they havent yet and (b) if I were to go off, how would I titrate the dose. His nurse wasnt very patient with me when I tried to ask both of these questions and she called me back and left me a voicemail at 6 not answering my first question and giving me a long answer on the second question that didn't acknowledge what dose I am on (75 -- with two pills a 50 and 25) and how exactly to go down. She told me to call her Monday after 11 if I had any questions. So I should feel crappy all weekend? Luckily I called another doctor and got the answer I needed but I shouldn't have to! My pain doc is always running out the door on me the second he walks in the door and forgets who I am from appointment to appointment. I had a new pain to discuss with him once and he told me to "save it for the next appointment."

But enough about me. I'll be so glad to see a doctor who is invested in his patients' recovery, if only for an evaluation. Many many thanks and I'll be thinking of you on Thursday.

Schragie-girl

Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

He does not participate any insurances as well.
But if I would put together how much money I spent during this time on DR's who do participate my insurance (co-pays, etc.) I would better off with those who don't participate insurance and keep you under control over the phone and seeing you only if you are getting worse or you want to meet them.
I waisted my money for nothing to see DR who did not care how I feel, how much meds I take, do they work or not. You call them, you leave messages and in the best case scenario their nurse calls you who can't answer your questions anyway.

Done with it, too tired. My insurance covers 70% out-of-network DRs and for the rest I am responsible. As hard as it is, but at least I am in a good hands and my questions are answered, as I said earlier. This is a relieve for me and my family.

Lurica did not agree with me, Neurontin worked for a while, now I am on Keppra. It's really does not matter for me at this point, will see what happens after the surgery.
I am kind of worry; last time I had surgery they kept me on Morphine pump for 5 days. At HSS they don't want you graggy, they want you to move, so the next day after surgery they give you oral PK (also a lot to do on severity of your surgery and how you handle the pain). I have a very major surgery, hope all that horrible pain will be under control - that is what I worry about today...

Old 12-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova - I think you doctors will keep you will medicated. They sounds like they are an awesome group and they would be very proactive in making sure you are comfortable. They obviously care - look at the class they had you attend.

Closed Thread