It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
UPDATE...Awful PM visit...primary called

Thank you so much, everyone, for your great advice and your prayers. I saw a PM doc yesterday for the first time, and it was HORRID. (See my other posts.) Ok, my primary called me a few minutes ago, and she was so sweet. She apologized that I had to go through that, and she assured me that she wouldn't let me hurt. We decided to try another PM. My question to you all...has anyone seen a good PM in north Florida or south GA? I may be able to take Melissa's suggestion, if it works out with insurance, and if it's not too far. (I guess nowhere is too far when you're in pain.)

I guess my biggest fear, now, is that I won't be able to find someone who can/will help. I'm sure lots of you have traveled this road before. Any and all advice would be treasured!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: UPDATE...Awful PM visit...primary called

Can't you go on your medical insurance's website and do a search for all Pain management doctors. I know that I can do that with my medical insurance's website. Do a search for doctors and then chose a specialty of Pain Management. If you can't do that then call your Member Services of your medical insurance and have them provide you with a list of doctors that do Pain Management.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

Yes, I can do that, and I have. The problem is, that's how I found the doc I saw yesterday. I would rather not go in blindly again...with no feedback, positive or negative. And sometimes, my insurance will approve someone who's not on the website. Thanks for your reply!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User

Hi Painaway,

I wish I knew what was so awful with your visit to the new PM doc, but awful generally means lacking empathy or disbelieving that your diagnosis produces pain, or that he/she only treats for short term no matter what condition you have and then ....out the door you go. Brian suggested checking out your insurance website, if they have one that's what I would do, because then you will know that whoever you find will accept your insurance. I have mentioned this on other posts, but I have on several occasions found either a physiatrist or an anesthesiologist who will also double as a pain doc. Another thought is to check and see if there are any clinics that are oriented around your condition, like a spine care clinic if you have low back pain, etcetera. I'm on the west coast where I think there just might be more pain doctors and more relaxed attitudes in the medical community, or should I say, more forward thinking doctors who believe that pain is a serious disorder that requires the same kind of treatment and care that any other serious condition requires from the medical community. Keep us posted on how things progress for you. Best of luck to you...Paulo

Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

Paulo...Thanks for your encouraging reply. My fiasco went as follows:

It was AWFUL. He looked over my records (11 years of them)...all the surgeries, medications, etc...and the first thing he said was that he doesn't "under almost any circumstance" prescribe narcotic pain medication to a 30-something year old for chronic pain. He went on to talk about how research has shown that narcotics may make pelvic pain worse, because it hightens sensitivity to the pain. He then spoke about how I'm too young to be on strong meds..."now, if you were 70...yadda, yadda". I told him that I had tried everything imaginable, and this is where I have ended up...on narcotics daily. I also explained that I had always been compliant with all recommendations. I've done everything I've been asked.

He then went into this long story about how my body has become dependent on this medication (Lortab), and that there is a difference in addiction and dependency. He said I wasn't an addict, but that I am dependent. He said that he wants me to detox off of the narcotics and be clean for 2 months. THEN, he said we would try other things, not including narcotics. He said that the dosage of Lortab (about 50mg a day...usually 5 pills) is only one that he would give a cancer patient at my age.

I am completely baffled. Nothing in my records reflect non-compliance or addictive behavior. He simply does not believe chronic pelvic pain should EVER be treated with narcotics...especially at my age. I told him I wanted to talk with my primary doctor, and decide what to do from there. He's going to send his recommendations to my primary, which include weaning, as he does not believe chronic pelvic pain should be treated with a narcotic.

He went on to tell me about family members of his who have diseases that include chronic pain, and how he would never want them on narcotics. I am completely at a loss, here. I don't know what to do or what to think. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

Closed Thread