It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User
Question Ultram prescription - no mg mentioned???

Hi,

I recently got a prescription for Ultram, and the prescription has everything on it except a mg dosage...it has how many tablets I'm supposed to get, and how many times a day I'm supposed to take them, but no mg dosage described.

Is this normal? I have to go pick up another prescription at the front desk of my doctor's office tomorrow morning, so I'll ask then. I don't want to get all the way back to the pharmacy and find out they can't fill it because of this, though.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
(female)

HappyFlower HB User
Re: Ultram prescription - no mg mentioned???

hmm...I am not 100% sure. I know the ER pills come in 100 or 200...but I am not sure about the "regular" Ultram. I want to say it is all one strength..maybe 50?? But I could be wrong. I am sure somebody on here knows the "for sure" answer.

Good Luck...I read in your other post about your gallbladder. I had mine out seven years ago. Man...gallbladder pain sucks! That is the only word I can think of!! lol...it was horrible. When are you going to have it taken out?

And, on a side note, I can't believe they only gave you Ultram for gallbladder pain. I sure hope it helps. When I was in the hospital with the worst attack I had ever had, they gave me a shot of Dilaudid and that barely even touched the pain-and this was WAY before my chronic pain started! So my tolerance for meds was low. They sent me home with Percocet to be taken 2every 4-6 hours. Thankfully, the next week my dear gallbladder was gone and I was a new woman! I think I ate fried food evey night that first week post op...and no pain!!

Sorry for yapping! Good luck!
HappyFlower

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

The pharmacy would just call the doctors office for the dosage but since you are stopping by doctors office anyway bring the prescription with you and have them write it on.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

Just a fluke on the doc's part. No big deal. It's happened to me before they can fix it by giving you a new one or they pharmacy can call.

I hope you get some relief from the Ultram. Gallbladder pain is horrific, In my opinion it compares to child birth pain. The attacks used to drop me to my knees until I got the mean thing out. If they don't work don't hesitate to go to the ER, they will (hopefully) be able to give you something stronger.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
(male)

zach88 HB User

I've been taking tramadol (ultram) on and off since June. Typically, if it's simply Tramadol HCL, which is Ultram, the pills are 50mg. I know they do make a 100mg pill, but typically it is 50mg.

However, is it possible the prescription is for Ultracet? I know you did say Ultram, and I could be totally wrong, but my doctor was giving me Ultracet before Ultram, and I had no idea what the difference was. When I found out online that they were two different things, I looked at my prescription bottle, which just said Tramadol APAP because it was generic, and NO WHERE did I find a dosage. I had to look online, and I found out that all Ultracet pills are 37.5mg of Tramadol and 325mg of Tylenol. Again, I'm not sure if this is the situation you're in, but thought it might help.

So, if it is just Ultram, I'd assume it's 50mg. But if it says Tramadol APAP or Ultram APAP on the prescription, it's the dosages I listed above by default. Hope that helps. Feel better!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User

It's definitely Ultram, that's exactly what it says on the prescription. I think that's all he prescribed (and it surprised me, too) because my GB attack was already starting to wind down when I got there. I make the mistake of not going in to the ER when they start, because I want to wait to see if they'll stop (which they do), and I feel silly for even mentioning it now because I feel fine at the moment.

I have to call first thing tomorrow morning to schedule the ultrasound...when I was at the ER they just wanted to schedule me for one on Monday, but I need time to find a ride. They want me to follow up with my doctor right after the U/S, and then they want to do the HIDA scan. The doctor in the ER said that I'll ultimately have to see the surgeon and have it out (not sure when yet), but he wants the tests done first. They did bloodwork that showed that my gallbladder and the ducts around it were definitely blocked (not sure how you can tell that by bloodwork, but that's what he told me).

I'll bring the prescription with me tomorrow and hopefully have it straightened out.

My mom is getting madder and madder at the doctors...she thinks they should have admitted me and done the testing right there, but thinks they didn't because: it was my first time going to that ER for this problem, and it was a Saturday night. I think it was also because my heart rate was ok and I had no fever.

Oh well...we'll see what happens, and maybe if there is another attack that my meds can't touch, I'll convince myself to go to the ER at the beginning rather than trying to wait it out at home. Like I said, I feel fine now! *shrugs*

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm sure I'll have it worked out tomorrow morning.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I suffered from gall bladder attacks for 5 years before finally getting diagnosed. What a terrible time that was. I have been told that pain from a gall bladder attack is one of the worst pains a human can suffer. I believe it.

Anyway, what I did learn was that during an acute attack, there's very little any medication can do, at any dose. The solution is to get the gall bladder and stones out. Period. The sooner the better.

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I am sorry to hear you only got ultram for your gallbladder pain. Just note that it's not a very stong medication so if you don't get good relief from it call the Dr right away. for some people it works okay, but for VERY BAD PAIN LEVELS like what you have, I would be shocked if it helped control your pain. Its a very weak pain medicaion.

Good luck with it, maybe it will help you.

SS

Closed Thread