It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Nerve Medication List

Please let me know if there are any other nerve medications out there on the market that I might have missed. I am trying to figure out what ones I have not taken so when I see my doctor I can say this is what I have not tried.

Paelmor
Eavil
Cymbalta
Topomax
Neurotin
Lyrica

Thank you for your responses.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Re: Nerve Medication List

Dilantin and Klonopin are also used as nerve meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Methadone is now being successfully prescribed for neuropathic pain, and Ultram is being tested for that as well. Plus, there's a new drug in Phase III testing, a stronger version of Ultram that may hit our shores in a couple of years - looks very promising.

I assume that one could run through practically all of the anti-seizure meds, as well as the older and newer anti depression meds (tricyclic and SSRIs respectively). These include Topomax, Lyrica, Elavil, Pamelor and Cymbalta, which you've already tried. I was once referred to a Neurologist for migraines and he threw the kitchen sink of meds at me and, ultimately, none of them worked - but all of these were tried as both preventatives and abortives. You gotta watch out for neurologists - I think they have even more meds at their disposal than anesthesiologists. He also tried alpha blockers and calcium channel blockers, typically used for high blood pressure, also to no effect.

So, do a web search for anti-seizure, and anti-depressant meds to get an exhaustive list of other meds that might help.

steve

Old 12-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I am on Trileptal for my bipolar disease but my doctor said it could also help the nerve pain. So you might want to add that one to your list. I also am still taking Ultram and used to take Ultracet (which is just Ultram with acetaminophen). I have also tried Lidoderm patches and all kinds of arthritis cream including that one with hot peppers in it(can't remembe the name), but it was supposed to be good for nerve pain, heck it just made the burning pain MUCH worse.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 12-17-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: forgot some other things that I had tried

Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

My PM had me try:

BEXTRA
CELEBREX (it's back)
TEGRETOL

Stardust

Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I have done the lidoderm patches. I really liked them.
I have also tried the hot pepper cream - capzasin is the name (I think)
Isn't there one like neurontin that starts with GAR_____?
I'm not sure if I am helping you at all, but I thought I would try.
Step

Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Dr.Pepper,

Have you ever tried Ultram? (tramadol). If not, it might be worth a try, It worked for me for years. As far as all of the others, I think you will find that the few if any that are left for nerve pain are so similar to the ones you have already tried, there wont be any huge difference in pain control.

I think you have been undermedicated for a long time, I hope you can make the switch to methadone soon, Like I said, I will let you know how I do, I start in 26 days and I can't wait.

I'm going to be so disappointed if it doesnt work for me, I have convinced myself (also based of reports of others here who have tried it) that it will change my life. I dont expect to have no pain, of course. but to stop spending weeks at a time in bed in agony and depressed, seems pretty great to me right now!

Hopefully you and I can get better together, and 2008 will be a great year.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Fabby no I have not tried it. At this point, I will try anything. In fact, I would love an IV pain pump right now. LOL

My doctor basically told me that I have had allergic reactions to the others that I will more than likely be allergic to them. But I can't help wanting to try them at least once. I think my analyphaltic reaction to neurontin scared the daylights out of my doctor. I had facial swelling and breathing dificulties. I could not see my eyes were simply slits. Very scary.

Fabby, thank you for the kind words on Amanada's thread. I really did not want to clog up her thread. The beauty of this board is that sometimes someones post moves and affects you very deeply. I don't know what I would do without you and so many others on this board. Thank you and I pray that the methadone works for you. Who knows maybe my GP will start me on it sooner versus later.

I will bring this up with my GP. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Last edited by ms_west; 12-27-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Step,
Are you thinking of GABITRIL? I forgot that one myself, Thanks!
Stardust

Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Stardust,
Yes, that sounds right. Thanks for filling in the blanks for me.

Diet Pepper,
I took Tramadol for a long time before my ankle was fused. It worked very well for me.

Keep us posted!
Step

Old 12-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Yes, I know, My Doctor tried to give it to me thinking I could take it since I couldn't take Neurontin, I told him I put in my will that if I got killed in a car accident because of this stuff then for my hubby to have it investigated since it's in my records that I can't take Neurontin!
I seen it was the same, But GEEZ LOUISE! DO I have to die in a car accident for him to listen?
He quickly backed off.
Stardust

Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
(female)

BJisafighter HB User

Hi there,I am 27 yrs old and had back problems for about 10-12 years docs never took me serious but always freely gave me pain killers.I started on percocet the oxycontin then dilaudid and then hydromorphine30mg'sI was on all these for a total of 10 years.I take them for ddd and spinal stenosis,sciatica both legs.Anyhow 8 months ago I got sick and tired of being sick and tired,I checked in to detox and there i was put on methadone for withdrawl of the opiates.The withdrawl was deadly but my pain was half of what it had been before methadone???I couldnt belive it???no pain in my back wow luckily after 7 days in detox they sent me home and i went back daily for my methadone until I saw the Pain doc and he put me on it for good..I know some people have had good and bad experiences but mine has all been good this drug gave me my life back..I must say that somemorning are rough until the meds kick in but then I am able to tolerate the pain.
Latley I have been having more pain than usual and I was told that means the dose has to be adjusted.But I have been on that dose for 8 months,,and I must say it has been 8 great months in comparison. it is so nice to not have backpain and the withdrawl of opiates to deal with as well..It was terrible to have the pain and an addiction to boot.
I know that methadone is not for everybody and that it may not work miracles for others but it has worked wonderfully for me..Good luck to you.Its nice to know that i am not alone with all this back pain stuff,

Closed Thread