It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
(male)

randy 75 HB User
diffrent brands methadone

diffrent brands methadone

Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
(male)

sparkytc71 HB User
Re: diffrent brands methadone

Hello there,
Methadone is methadone, if it was different it wouldnt be methadone it would be another medication. There are different milligrams of it yes, Though I am not a doctor but once they alter the makup of any medication then it becomes another medication all together... Also I had been on pain medications for over 5 years an tried Methadone to get off the opioids but I was severly allergic to it. I am now on Suboxone an whoopie its working great.
Also I am not sure what you would be taking it for since it can be used for either opioid withdrawals or its actually a very good long acting pain medication used instead of the shorter acting ones like Vicodin or Percocet. Methadone will last up to 12 hours for pain relief other than 4-6 hours like those two others. My fiance is on Methadone for her severe back pain and she swears its better than just the ol' 6 -10/650mg Vicodin she was on per day before...if your looking into using it for pain management then go for it...its great but if its for opioid withdrawals then I would go with Suboxone/Buprenophine instead. Again this is just my opinion though I do hope this helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
(male)

zach88 HB User

I think what you mean is different manufacturers, yes?

If that's the case, I know of only two. I actually saw my PM doctor yesterday and just started Methadone, and after MONTHS of not seeing the difference between brand and generic, I made sure to come out of the appointment with prescriptions for brand names. However, when it comes to Methadone, it really is just Methadone. Unlike Hydrocodone, which can be filled as Vicodin, Norco, Lortab, Xodol, etc., and almost all other medications, Methadone is just plain lold Methadone. I think this is probably because it wasn't really used for anything other than rehab until the last several years.

All this being said, there are two different pharmaceutical companies that I know of that manufacture Methadone: Mallinckrodt and Roxanne. There may be others, I'm not sure. Mallinckrodt markets the Methadone under the name Methadose, and Roxanne under just Methadone. I made SURE yesterday though to find the Roxanne brand. Although there is no real brand name, SO many people on this board, and just from my experience, have many issues with Mallinckrodt products, so Roxanne was a no brainer for me.

Hope my answer helped, and I'm not sure if I included all information about Methadone, it may be produced in different varieties, but this is all I know of, and I think these are the two most prevalent versions of Methadone.

Feel good, and I hope if Methadone is your drug of choice, it ends up working out for you.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Actually Zach, Dolophine is name brand methadone, Methadone HCL is the active ingredient in Dolophine and the name most generics use aside from Mallinkrodt who calls their generic methadone product Methadose. Their inferior methadone tablet sent me into withdrawal both times it was dispensed at the pharamcy because that's what the had on hand and not what my bodyy was used too. The FDA allows a +15% to -20% variable in the amount of active ingredient and still calls it bio equivelent and these meds still recieve the highest FDA rating for generic bioequivelance "AB". You might want to spend more than 1 day on a med before dispensing advice about that med. There absoloutely is a difference between different generic manufacturers and between generic and name brand drugs. We don't all have the luxury of insisting on name brand only but you can atempt to avoid inferior manufacturers like mallinkrodt.

Also Drug of choice is an addiction term, not a medical or a PM term. You won't find that term in any medical dictionary but will find it mentioned over and over in detox and addiction program literature. You might want to consider that before you do something silly like tell your PM doc which pain med is your Drug of choice.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
(male)

zach88 HB User

I made sure to tell him only what "I know of," and to absolutely leave room for other information to be added to what I said, or for my information to be corrected. I was just trying to be helpful, and I probably wouldn't have tried to unless I had thought I knew what I was talking about. Yes, I've been on Methadone for about 36 hours now, but I've been doing research on LA medications for more than a week, specifically Methadone.

I did come across information about Dolophine, but because my doctor told me there was no brand name he could give me, I assumed that it was either discontinued or unavailable.

As far as me saying "drug of choice," I've been trying to find a medication that works correctly for over eight months, so I've had many options to choose as far as what I've taken and what works. I didn't mean anything else, and I'm only a resourceful nineteen year old, so I've never heard that term before. I've only been on this board for about a week, and I've found it extremely helpful for me. I don't really know what the policies are or the general mannerisms, although I have read through the rules. I'm trying to learn, though In fact, YOUR information has been very helpful as you seem to know a lot about almost everything.

Sorry if I gave out any wrong information though, and I do hope Methadone works for your Randy if that's what you and your doctor decide for you to take. Feel better.

Last edited by zach88; 12-19-2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Corrected time period

Old 12-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Zach, No offense intended, I seriously doubt you knew what manufacturers are making what med and what the FDA guidelines are. Our pharamcist tell us generics are equal, That's because they get paid a bonus to maintain the proper generic to name ratio in retail stores. The prrofit margin is so high on generics, the few bucks we save is nothing compared to the money they make by us using generics. Surprising the profit margin is much lower on name brand drugs. They are still outragous, but you can only jack a 3 dollar pill up so much but when it only cost 22 cents, you can make some money and still show the consumer some savings. It's just the difference between paying for yourself and living blindly about the cost of meds as long as insurance covers it.

I do commend you doing a weeks worth of research, It took me that long to dig past all the BS about it's invovement in detox and meth maint. I spent several months several years ago before starting meth and no matter what you read, you realy don't know till you try it. The dose of meth your taking now won't reach peak plasma levels until day 5 or 6. The half life is so long that but the 5th day the remainder of the dose from the first day is just wearing off and you have the plasma level as if you just took a single dose almost double what your daily dose is. After taking 20 mgs for 5 days in a row and you have the serum level of someone that took almost 40 mgs in a single dose a couple hours ago.

I know a week seems like a long time and 9 months seems even longer, but your talking about how to spend the rest of your life and choosing methadone as a first line of opiate treatment is a choice that isn't easily reversed, choosing LA opiates of any kind isn't one that doesn't have long term consequences.

I know it's been 9 months and when your n pain that seems like eternity, But it's only been 3 months since surgery and anything that is that inavasive is going to take months to recover from. 10 years ago, your pain meds would have beeen stopped 6-8 weeks post op and you would be forced to learn to cope with pain that is now being treated by some PM docs with opiates before trying any other alternative. If you only have one tool to work with, all you can ever do is reach for more as you become more and more tolerant.

Things change a lot, your young, they will continue to change and if your going to talk to a doc, go in with the attitude you are willing to try anything to relieve the pain. If a 19 year old started sugesting to a doc that they want to try meth because they heard it's a better drug for nerve pain, He's either dealing with someone very intelegent or looking for something very specific. Unfortunately addicts have the same access to this and ever yother site and can esil y learn the same info and the catch phrases like quality of life to make their request sound sincere.

It's more important your doc understands what qualityy of life means to you. If you road motocross and wanted to be pain free while poundng your spine, that may not be a reasonable request, but sitting through dinner or a 2 hour class isn't an outragous request. Your expecations of pain relief have a lot to do with how satisfied you woul dbe if allpain can't be removed or if it can be dropped down to a level you can learn to cope with by adapting your lifestyle. If you need handi cap plates to get arond campus better, don't be to proud to ask for them.

You really don't want to try to impress your doc with your ability to research or knowledge of pain management,the ability to comunicate your goals and what a score of 7 means to you on a pain scale gives a doc more info to work with than something you may suggest trying. He's the doc and doesn't need a patient to remind him to watch their tylenol levels, ya know what I mean. You educate yourself for your own ebenfit, not to impress a doc.

You do have some obstacles being young, but opiates will always be an option, everything else that they may try or use prior to opiates doesn't have quite the imapct on pain that opiates do. This close to surgery, when the cause could be somethig as simple as an infection in the bone. We can't self DX, but concentrate on describing symptoms to the doc, not on what you read or might know. It's a huge deal to tell someone your age that this is as good as it will ever get and your going to have to live on opiates the rest of your life. That's just one or two docs opinion. You don't know that was your surgeons opinion,he just refered you out so he doesn't have to deal with the lingering pain. It sounds harsh, but it' is the way it is. If all you needed was meth, he could have prescribed that.

Pt may have released you, but their is more than one type of PT, If you still have nerve pain there are speific procedure and meds to treat that that don't mean you have to spend the rest of your life on methadone. It may provide relief, but there is a cost that comes with that relief and it's a hefty price for someone young to pay. If all your PM is doing for you is prescribing pain meds and isn't rying alternative tharipies, you do have a choice to look for something more comprehensive that takes a multi faceted aproach.

, No matter what you have tried, you just can't convince me you have tried it all when I spent 8 years trying it all before the first opiate was ever prescribed after the 3rd and final failed fusion and the hardware actually broke so the docs could see there was something wrong. Things used to be veryy different, the invention of new and stronger meds, doesn't mean they don't have a cost or a price or that your other docs are going to agree with this treatment. I'm not judgeing you for wanting pain relief, I remebr post op pain and when surgery fails it's worse. What bothers me is how quick one or two docs are to condemn you to alife of intactable pain and make you dependent on them for life.

You do have choices, You ask a question about coping and the only answer you got was opiates. There are PM clinics, shrinks and psychologist that can help you learn to cope with pain that sometimes meds can't even touch. As far as post op pT, there is the Mckenzie emthod, Myofacial release and scar management. I don't expect one doc to know everything, they know what they were tought and what they see work, Your fall outsideof the box and have him dumbfounded at 3 months post op, Obviously he hasn't tried everything, It's not humanly possible in 3 months. I guess my point is you have a lot to learn about CP, what makes CP different from acute pain , The price of being dependent on opiates. There is no way to avoid that. Dependent doesn't mean addicted, but it can lead to addiction if you chase comlete relief when it's not ossible give the structural problems.

Read, read ,read,and ask question of everyone. Take the docs off the pedestal and ask them why something is the best way to deal withit. The're human, no doc knows everything and at best all your getting is his opinion. Just because the PM doc your seeing now is comfortable putting you on meth, it really doesn't mean it's the best thing or only option you have. It may be the only thing he knows, but their are alternatives aside from opiates. You get imediate relief, but at what cost. Nobody knows that for sure, but you can rule plenty of careers out if you're still on meth if you ever get back to school while taking meth.

It's hardly a great motivator, it can wreck your labido and cause impedence, flatten your personality like a board and years can pass you will never get back if you only settle for imediate relief.

Everything has a cost and I don't know if you really can understand or comprehend that cost after a week of research, or 9 months of pain that's been treated like acute or post op pain up untill yesterday. I truly have nothing against you, I don't doubt you have pain. There are other options but it's hard to go back once you head down the opiate path..

Opiates were my very last option, so I don't have to wonder if I made the right choice, but at some point your going to question your choices. It is your choice, just because a doc offered methadone doesn't mean you couldn't say no, lets stick with hydro and try some other modalities. If he wasn't willing you can change PM docs, just like people change PM docs when they don't get the meds they want. You have the option of looking into every altrnative you can think of and see every PM doc in the state before you have to accept that your not going to get better and all they can do is treat your pain.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 12-20-2007 at 04:47 AM.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
(male)

zach88 HB User

Thanks for the long response, Dave.

Yes, I definitely am young, but being home from school for four months has given me a tremendous amount of time to do research on just about everything. I actually have done a bunch of research on different manufacturers products, and what the guidelines are for fillers, although I'm sure it's not nearly as extensive as anything close to what you know. The reason for this is because I have had such an issue with finding any kind of effectiveness with the drugs I've been taking, so I wanted to seek out information on how I can change that. I've tried taking Cimetodine and DLPA to help potentate the effects of my meds, and unfortunately, it just has not worked. This is where I started to question whether generics are actually effective as my pharmacist told me they were, because before that point, it hadn't even crossed my mind.

I was just specifically talking about opiates here, and yes, I have certainly taken a lot of them and for a long time. But I am definitely not ignoring other treatments. I have done physical therapy in three different sessions, and was advised to stop by the physical therapists and my doctors. I've had three epidural shots, and my PM doctor is giving me a cortizone shot directly into my nerve this Friday. I haven't read anything about this sort of procedure, but if you could provide any insight I would appreciate it. I'm seeing a psychiatrist a week from this coming Friday, and I also have been trying cold-laser therapy and reflexology, which has yet to be effective. I have an acupuncture appointment scheduled for next week as well.

It has really only been the last couple of weeks that the doctors have changed their goal from trying to fix my problem, to trying to manage my pain and make me more comfortable while they wait to see if I can still heal. I cannot imagine the pain you have gone through the past ten years, nor the emotional stress that I'm sure has come along with it. I'm having trouble dealing with not even a year's worth of pain.

I never at one point meant to come off arrogant, and I never wanted to provide information that was incorrect. It did give me pleasure however to try to help someone when I thought I knew answers, while simultaneously leaving plenty of room for errors.

My doctors have really been exceptional, and I do feel very spoiled when I read all of the horror stories many people have had with their own doctors. My doctors find it incredible that I have done so much research on medication and other alternative treatment, and they don't find it to be suspicious at all. This is just the way I come off in person. They know all I want to do is to get better, and that I'm not just looking to get high.

I met a doctor randomly the other day, and got into talking about my situation, and he suggested Prolotherapy to me. Have you ever heard of it? My surgeon thinks it might be worth a shot, because he really is open to anything, but he has heard that it's a very painful procedure. Personally, I don't really understand how an injection of sugar, novacaine, and water can help heal me, but I really am open to anything. I'm also looking into a process called ART, Active Release Technology. Also, something I'm not very familiar wtih. Any advice you have would be great.

I really am just a nineteen year old in terrible pain. I don't even begin to compare myself to the majority of the people on this forum, because it seems like a lot of you guys have had problems for YEARS. I honestly can't imagine, and I feel for you. I'm just looking for information; I'm very curious and very active in the way I seek out answers.

Thanks for your advice, Dave, and I'm sorry about the misunderstanding earlier. Best of luck to you, feel good, and happy holidays.

Zach

Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I have been on Methadone for almost five years for CP and will only take Methadone by Roxane. No Methadose by Mallinckrodt, it's not even worth bringing home. I'm on 180 mg per day. I have also taken Dolophine.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
(male)

zach88 HB User

Director, have you found any difference between the Dolophine and the generic Roxanne Methadone?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Zach - I've had some history taking Methadone (Roxane brand & Methadose by Malinkordt). What everyone has already posted is pretty valid - Shorline (Dave) doesn't necessarily have an MD behind his name, but in my opinion he should have at least a PA (Physician Assistant) behind it!! He brings current information to the boards - something you can get doing research as you've done.....but what makes him head and shoulders above most of us is his years of personal experience. That's something you really can't put a price on and he's never steered me wrong in the past. OK, back to the methadone. Malinkordt has a really inferior rating among MOST chronic pain patients. I'd make an exception though for what I call a "methadone virgin". Obviously that is someone who has never taken it in the past and, therefore, has nothing to compare it to as far as which manufacturer is better. If you've been prescribed 10 mgs. of methadone (I have no idea what you take) and the Malinkordt brand only gives you 8 mgs. of the active ingredient, then that's all your body will get used to. So...if you start out taking Malinkordt you need to continue taking it. Going to the Roxane brand will give you more medicine than your body is used to if it's used to Malinkordt. But once you make that decision - Rox/Malink - you need to stick to that one particular brand so that you aren't experiencing ups and downs in coverage and risk going into withdrawal. Good luck - it worked very well for me for a few years actually, but then I started to feel like I had checked out of life and switched to something else. All the best - Memere (K'Mac)

Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Zach...To answer your question, when I took Dolophine was several years ago and I really don't remember for sure. If I had to say, I think Methadone from Roxane and the brand Dolophine are pretty much comparable.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey Zach, How much of your pain is nerve pain/hip and leg pain "radiculopothy" and how much is back pain, whether it's crushing, grinding, stabbing. etc. Nerve pain treatment is very different than back pain treatment.

Active release is similar to myofacial release, it's more of hands on muscular treatment but since nerves pass through muscle, muscle can also be the cause of nerve pain.

Prolo is an old and outdated technique that gave few people relief and has the potential to cause major scar tissue problems.

Have they done a disco gram of the discs they worked on and the discs above and below. Rather than throwing everything including the kitchen sink at a problem they haven't quite figure out it's better to find out what's going on and focus on specific treatments for the problem. Anytime a doc suggest a new treatment plan, ask for an explanation of that plan and more importantly ask how and why they think it may benefit you. YYou also have to remeber that not all docs are alike. Acupncture for instance can vary greatly from one practioneer to the next. You don't need tobe adoctorto be certifed in acupuncture. One person may simply have learned needle placement and have been great at memorizinf meridaian and the points of insertion where another doc that happens to do acupuncture may truly have a gift. Trying something once with por reults doesn't mean that modality should be crossed off the list of things that can or may help yyou down the road. Traetment 3 months post op is also going to be different than treatment 2 years post op when pain has actually been engrained into nerve pathaways.

The same goes for any treatment. You can't try one anti seizure med like lyrica and give up on every other med in that class. Just because the latest and newest med that actually did clinical trials to get aproval for neuropothy, doesn't mean the entire class would be useless if the newest med in that class doesn't help. There are dozens of anti siezure meds that have nbeen used off label for nerve pain long before Cyymabalta came along. There are dozens of anti depressants from several different clases that bring relief that you won't know will work untill you try. Cymbalta is the newest antiD, but if that doesn't work, it doesn't mean an oldie like Elevil wouldn't be effective. Not having FDA aproval for a specific problem just means they didn't run clinical trials on every possible aplication of that drug even though it's been used for decades to treat chronic pain as an off label use of that med.

Sorry about the errors in spelling in the last post, I do most of my posting at 4am in the morning and rarely use spell check or start a post as a word doc. I'll clean it up so it's easier to follow.
Take care, Dave

Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
(male)

zach88 HB User

I know there was a question earlier in this thread regarding Dolophine and brand name Methadone. I just have a quick question.

I asked my PM doctor to write my Methadone prescription as brand name, and although I'm sure he knows his stuff, he told me that there was no brand name for the drug.

After looking it up extensively before I picked it up, I found that there is indeed such thing as Dolophine, but I couldn't find anywhere online who manufactured it anymore, and if it was available. Obviously, it was confirmed for me here that it does exist and people have taken it. However, I asked my pharmacist about it, and he told me he hasn't seen or heard of it around for a couple of years. I called a CVS locally also to ask about it (not my pharmacy), and they told me they don't carry it either. Usually when I get my medications, which for the most part are filled generically unless a generic is not available, the bottle lists in small print what it is generic for. My Methadone bottle only says Methadone 10mg, with the small print excluded.

I'm sure I could find Dolophine somewhere, and not that it really matters anymore seeing that I'm coming off of Methadone, I was just curious where some of you guys have seen that around? I'm sure when I go to big name pharmacies, like Walgreens or Target, they are not going to carry certain medications. I unfortunately do not have any private pharmacies in my area. Any input here? Thanks a lot.

Zach

Closed Thread