It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

michele1982 HB User
Kidney stones, medication

I'm new to this site and am posting one of my first replys- I haven't figured out how to post my own thread yet. FRIENDLY_ONE.....I just about cried when reading your post- for several reasons. #1- Because I have so much sympathy for you and feel very sorry for you and #2 Because FINALLY, FINALLY, F-I-N-A-L-L-Y I have found someone LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have passed over 130 plus kidney stones just in the last 2 and half years and have never heard of anyone passing as many or even more as me. I stopped counting them a LONG time ago. I started at 18 passing 2 to 3 a year. Then 2 and half years ago at 20 weeks in my pregnancy I started passing 2 to 4 a week on average. I ended up passing 80 stones or so- having to be hospitalized several times and in the end being put on a pain pump and them taking my baby early. After I had my baby I continued to pass them not as often but, about 5 or 6 a month. Normally it will take days and days just to pass one stone. I average out about 1 day a week with little or no pain but, very rarely do I get through the whole day with out it. I started taking the vicoden first. Going from 5/500 mg now to 10/325. Now 2 at a time. Then after 2 years that no longer worked and I was spending way too much time and money at the ER. So I had to see a PM dr so I can handle it all at home. First he put me on 7.5 vico and 5 mg oxycodone( for break through pain) then that stopped working so I went to 10's vico and 100 mg Fentora (fentynle buccal tabs) for breakthrough pain 1 tab every 4 hrs. That really helped but, only for about 1 hr at a time. I got up to 7 a day and asked to be moved up to 200 mg so I could take less. Then Dr put me on Avinza (morphine ex release tabs) 1 time a day and then take the other as needed. I took the avinza one time----I HATED IT!!! made me feel so out of it and I have a 2 year old baby---I have to feel alert. Now back on the Vico/fentora combo. MY question is is Astiq-fentnyl? Fentnyl buccal tabs really work for me well. It agress with me unlike others. I really wanted to get off of it though and tried this month. But, I can never get enough time out of pain to really get into the wean-off process. I feel like it is hopeless. Also what kind of kidney stones do you make? I'm 25 and it has ruined my life. I will post a thread later -please look for it and reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: Any info on Actiq or other fentynal B/T???

Dear michele1982,

To answer your main question: YES...Actiq's effective ingredient is fentanyl citrate. (Bluntly, I am truly shocked that I am unaware of these Fentora since it seems like I've taken practically every opiate known to man!) I will tell you what little I know about these Actiq. As others have indicated, they really are lacking in the taste department--just a really sweet lollipop-type of medication that inappropriately state they have a "raspberry" flavor! These so-called lozenges come in several strengths, but please note they are measured in micrograms (mcg), NOT milligrams (mg): 200 mcg, 400 mcg, 600mcg, 800 mcg, 1200 mcg, and 1600 mcg. They come in boxes of 30 lozenges each. Actiq used to be very, very expensive, but PLEASE BE AWARE that they are available in GENERIC! Even though they are available in GENERIC, they are manufactured by the same laboratory. This is why they are so similar--even down to the printing on each lozenge (lollipop). Concerning the printing on the lozenge, only the word "Actiq" is absent on the generic. I'm pretty sure that's it on what I know. If something occurs to me later, I will make another post. Oh...it was explained to me that the Actiq is generally used as a break-through medication in combination with the Duragesic (fentanyl) patch, plus the two generic 'brands'--one by Sandoz (the same lab address as Durgesic Brand Name) and one by Mylan (inferior IN MY OPINION since it is not constructed like the others). Again, I'd like to point out that this is a generality--since Actiq boosts (for a short time) the level of fentanyl placed in the system by the fentanyl patch. As noted by others, many find different medication combinations effective. OK, that's way, way beyond my general knowledge!!

I do not remotely comprehend the kind of pain with which you are faced. In fact, I doubt many people can say they know the type of pain you unfortunately and regularly endure. Please accept my serious sadness concerning your suffering--along with your personal conflict. You can come here for support any time you need.

***When you are looking through the current items for discussion, look for a blue button that says something like, "begin thread" or "start thread"--located near the top of the list of discussion items!! That's how we begin our "blab sessions"! We welcome you in every way, OK?

Please keep us posted in every way, OK? We don't get very much discussion concerning Actiq!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Closed Thread