It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

maria279 HB User
is oxycontin and oxycodone the same thing

is oxycontin and oxycodone the same thing

Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: is oxycontin and oxycodone the same thing

Oxycontin is a continuous release formulation of the narcotic drug oxycodone. When referred to as just oxycodone, it usually means an immediate release formulation of the drug oxycodone.

So, both are oxycodone, one is the typical immediate release kind, and one lasts for 8-12 hours.

steve

Last edited by forginon; 12-23-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
(male)

zach88 HB User

Oxycodone is the active ingredient in OxyContin, and also in Percocet, and some other immediate release forms of oxycodone, such as OxyIR and Roxicodone.

OxyContin actually just means Oxycodone Continuous Release, which means that it's a long acting medication, releasing smaller amounts of Oxycodone into your system over twelve hours (although it usually just lasts for eight hours).

So, Oxycodone is a synthetic derivative of codeine, and OxyContin is just a sustained release form of Oxycodone.

Hope I could help, and feel good.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

Oxycontin is the brand name for oxycodone. It comes in both ER and IR formulations.
Oxycodone is the main ingredient/drug in Oxycontin. Oxycodone ( generic) comes in both a IR - immediate release and ER-extended or sustained release type of formulation.
Percocet has oxycodone in 5 or 10 mg doses along with 325 mg of tylenol in the pills.
Other than the brand name, there is really no difference in the pain medications, with the exception of Percocet.
Sandi

Last edited by sandim; 12-23-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
(male)

zach88 HB User

OxyContin is actually only the brand name for continued, or extended release Oxycodone. That's why it's OxyCONTIN, the "contin" stands for continued release. The brand name for immediate release form of Oxycodone is Roxicodone, I believe. There may be other companies that make brand name Oxycodone, but I'm not sure. Both OxyContin and Oxycodone have generics too, as well as a brand and generics for Percocet, which is just Oxycodone with APAP.

Just wanted to clear up the information here. OxyContin is only a continued release, long acting medication.

Anyway though, sorry I corrected that, I just wanted to share my thoughts. And if I left anything out or made any errors please someone let me know as well. Happy holidays to all and feel better!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #6
(male)

badoldback HB User

Oxycodone is derived from the Opium alkaloid THEBAINE. It has no relation to codeine.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
(male)

zach88 HB User

My bad, it is derived from Thebaine. However, it's name comes from Codeine, and their chemical structures are very similar.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Oxycodone is derived from thebaine, one of twenty alkaloids in the opium poppy. Of these twenty alkaloids, the most relevant for the production of narcotic meds is morphine, codeine and thebaine. By itself, thebaine can relieve pain but is accompanied by undesireable side effects and is not used as such. When altered, one of the results is oxycodone. Oxycodone has been found to be about 50% stronger than morphine milligram for milligram. Buprenorphine is also derived from thebaine.

steve

Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

Oxycodone is a Schedule II narcotic analgesic and is widely used in clinical medicine. It is marketed either alone as controlled release (OxyContin®) and immediate release formulations (OxyIR®, OxyFast®), or in combination with other nonnarcotic analgesics such as aspirin (Percodan®) or acetaminophen (Percocet®).

From the DEA website on Oxycontin. There are different names for different products depending on the manufacturer. Oxycontin is the brand name for OxyIR and Oxycontin SR. Oxycodone is the generic name. Depending on who manufactures the generic, it may have several other names, including Oxycodone ER and IR. Roxicodone is another name for a generic form of oxycodone.

Hope that helps clear up things a bit, or is it as clear as mud now? LOL
Sandi

Old 12-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
(male)

badL5dude HB User

im sorry to be a little off topic here, but these posters will quite possibly be able to help me. an (oc-20, pink) works the very best for me, no pain , and a bit of energy, almost euphoric, i actually feel ten years younger. but a delaudid 8 makes me a zonked out spacehead. uncomfortable, very un-euphoric. why, arent they both opiates, arent they both relatively the same "potency"? can someone explain? maybe "break it down" as they say.

Last edited by badL5dude; 12-25-2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: instant e-mail notification

Old 12-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by badL5dude View Post
im sorry to be a little off topic here, but these posters will quite possibly be able to help me. an (oc-20, pink) works the very best for me, no pain , and a bit of energy, almost euphoric, i actually feel ten years younger. but a delaudid 8 makes me a zonked out spacehead. uncomfortable, very un-euphoric. why, arent they both opiates, arent they both relatively the same "potency"? can someone explain? maybe "break it down" as they say.
Each of us reacts to opiates differently. And, while one opiate may make me giddy, another one of equal strength may put me to sleep.

About potency - dilaudid is thought to be 5-7 times stronger than morphine. Oxycodone is about 50% stronger than morphine. So 8mg of dilaudid might be equal to around 56mg of morphine, while 20mg of oxycodone is equal to about 30mg of morphine. But there's more to it. "OC-20" Oxycontin is 20mg of oxycodone released slowly throughout its dosing period (8-12 hours). Actually, 10mg is released fairly quickly and the remaining 10mg some hours later. Dilaudid is released all at once into your system. Then there are other things like how much of a dose of a given med even gets to your central nervous system, and how long the effects last - but all this takes way too long to describe in forum reply.

Bottom Line - 8mg of immediately released dilaudid is much more potent than 20mg of OC released slowly throughout the day. Does that mean that the dilaudid should make you that much more energetic and euphoric than the OC? Not at all, as your experience proves. Somnolence, or sleepiness, is one of the main side effects of opiates. A much higher dose of opiate will be accompanied by much more sleepiness. Add to that the reality that we will react differently to the various opiates, and your experience is not surprising. I'm like you - dilaudid at any dose puts me out.

Hopefully this helps a little. For your own study do web searches on conversion to other opioids, bioavailability of different opioids, potency of opioids, opioid half lives, and opioids and excitatory signals. This should keep you busy for a few months

steve

Old 12-26-2007, 07:37 AM   #12
(male)

badL5dude HB User

thanks so much for your responce. it clears up alot of my questioning. i think the oc-20 works better for me (particularly) than these delaudid-2 i have. gotta speak to my doc. soon. thanks again.---bad L-5 dude.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
(male)

erfan HB User

Sandim, your post was incorrect and makes the same mistake I read about in every OxyContin OD story in the papers.

Oxycodone is NOT the brand name for OxyContin. OxyContin IS the brand name for Oxycodone Extended Release.

OxyContin is merely the brand name for the time released, long acting version of oxycodone.

Oxycodone comes in short acting immediate release form under the brand name Roxicodone. (Generic name is Oxy IR)

Oxycodone mixed with Tylenol is band name Percocet (Generic name is oxy w/apap)

Old 12-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
(female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

This is really off topic, but I wonder if anyone knows the laws on growing poppy flowers. I am not a gardener but they are quite pretty, and I am just curious what are the laws about the plant? I saw a whole story on MSNBC about Poppy plants growing wild in Afghanastan (sp) and it got me curious to where and how medicine companies obtain opium to make narcotics medications. For curiousity sake on how the medicine in made in general. I think it's quite interesting. I should ask one of my professors..Hmm methinks I will do some research..

I am quite aware that was a bit of rambling.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by badL5dude View Post
thanks so much for your responce. it clears up alot of my questioning. i think the oc-20 works better for me (particularly) than these delaudid-2 i have. gotta speak to my doc. soon. thanks again.---bad L-5 dude.
You're very welcome.

I'd like to share one other thing because from your note I get the notion that you may be relative new to using strong narcotics. And you mentioned how one med made you feel versus the other one. If you are more experienced than I'm assuming, and what you read below is something you already know, then please just disregard this post.

What I want to share has to do with the "feeling" that accompanies taking narcotics. Early in our experience with narcotics many of us experienced a kind of "rush" or euphoric feeling. It's very easy to equate this feeling with how well the med is working. Maybe we try another narcotic and we don't get the feeling and assume it just doesn't work for us. And even for a med that does work, after using it for awhile, when that feeling becomes weaker or even goes away we can tend to assume that it's not working any more. It's at this point that our use of narcotics can become critical, and for many this is the time when the use of pain meds can turn to addiction, as one begins to chase the euphoria rather than the pain relief.

But there's another risk too. And this is for those who are truly using the meds for pain relief and require narcotics on a regular basis. We too can get misled regarding the feeling we got when first using narcotics - that the medication's effectiveness is tied to how long the euphoric feeling lasts, or when we no longer get the feeling we might assume that the med no longer works well enough. It's important to know that good pain relief can exist without any euphoric feeling at all. Most who've been on around-the-clock narcotics for some time have learned this, since the "rush" goes away pretty early in the process.

Bottom Line - Please don't assume that a narcotic med is only working when a euphoric feeling goes with it. As you've already seen, Dilaudid didn't give you that euphoria, but that didn't mean it didn't work (what it meant in that instance was that it gave you a side effect you didn't like). And, if your doc puts you on Oxycontin, you need to understand that a time will come, relatively soon, when the euphoria goes away. There will be pain relief, but no "rush." That's totally normal. Try keeping a pain diary and record your pain score regularly. You can use a pain scale of 0-10, with 0=no pain, and 10=the worst pain you can imagine. Using this scale is how you'll know when your pain has exceeded your pain med. Even then, it doesn't have to mean the pain med has lost its effectiveness, which many assume, and immediately ask their doc for more. It may mean that one's disease or condition has deteriorated, and increased medication is not the best answer to better pain relief.

Sorry for the looong bottom line. All I'm trying to say is don't let a euphoric feeling dictate your estimate of how well your medication is working. And don't assume that more meds is always the answer to an increase in pain.

Cheers! And I hope you find something that provides the pain relief you need

steve

Closed Thread