It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

tammieathens HB User
how long does it take for a fentanyl patch to start to work

how long does it take for a fentanyl patch to start to work

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: how long does it take for a fentanyl patch to start to work

If memory serves me at all, when I tried them it took a day or so to make me sleepy then on the third day I got sicker than a dog. No fun puking when the pain is in the back. Good luck.
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It usually takes about 12 hours before you will really start to notice an effect on your pain level. It will peak after 3 days but you still may continue to see an improvement in your pain relief over a weeks or so. Just don't be too quick to say it isn't working after a day or 2 because it really takes about 3 days to reach a peak level.

Brian

Old 12-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Have you been prescribed anything for breakthrough pain? This is pain that happens at various times throughout the day that spikes beyond what your around-the-clock med provides.

Usually, when starting on a drug like the patch they provide breakthrough meds to be taken occasionally until the med in the patch gets to the proper level in your blood. This is also a time to stay in touch with your doc, as your dose may need to be adjusted until the right dose is found.

steve

Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Hi Tammie,
From my experience with the patch, I found that I was able to begin feeling relief slightly at 4 hours and with me it seemed to peak at about 24 hours. Everyone's body is different so I would assume you would recieve different opinions from the folks here that has been on them. I do believe depending on your disgnosis you are going to need breaktrhough meds as well, especially for the onset as well as day 3. Hope this helps.....JoJo

Closed Thread