It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Thumbs up Someone Finally Listened! There is Hope and Help out there!

Hello my Friends,

I cannot that you all enough for your support, and your push to do something about my uncontrolled pain, and how this pain center treated me. I finally did it! I saw my family doctor today, and as much as I tried not to, I cried when I told him what I have been going through. I told him about my pain, how it's taken over my life, and how the pm would not help me.

He agreed to take over my pain management until I find a new PM! The first thing he did was talk to me about my pain, and what may work. He changed the oxycontin from 10mg to 20mg. He told me that he did not offer before to take over, because he wants to focus on my other health problems, and not have my care be overshadowed by focusing all of our appts. on pain management. He did say that I should not have to live this way, and that for certain patients he would take over their pain management, and that he would do it for me.

I am so very grateful to all of you. It was so hard to do, but I called the PM group and I spoke with the receptionist and told her that I no longer wanted to be a patient there, and what did I need to do? She said all I needed to do was leave a message with the nurse. I left a long message stating that I could no longer suffer like I have been, and that I have tried for months to let them know how bad this was, and that I could not longer beg for treatment while my life crumbled around me. I said thank you for what you have done for me, but as of today my GP is taking over my care. It was hard, but it had to be done.

Then I took my new scripts to the pharmacist and explained that I was changing doctors and told her why. She was very supportive and told me that she knows how much I have gone through with them, and that I had a right to have my pain treated appropriately. She said that they know when people aren't doing what they are supposed to, and abuse their meds and doctor's trust. She said that she knew I was not one of them, that I deserved better, and that she would cover all the bases so that it was clear that I stopped taking medication from one doctor, before starting another. She about made me cry too! LOL Geez, it's just waterworks today!

So everyone, Thank You. To those of you who are suffering, there is hope. You can gather the courage to seek help elsewhere, to not live in pain, and in fear. Turns out there are many people that do believe in you, and believe that you deserve better. You just need the courage to ask for better, and believe that you deserve it.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcda HB User
Re: Someone Finally Listened! There is Hope and Help out there!

Thank you so much, Amanda, for your words of encouragement! I, too, am suffering because the medications that I am taking are not working...You have given me the wisdom to know how to approach my new physician and let her know that I need something else to treat the pain...again, thank you!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Thumbs up Re: Someone Finally Listened! There is Hope and Help out there!

Amanda...WOW!!!! That's so wonderful and encouraging!! It just feels awesome to hear that there IS hope. I am in a very similar situation, with my primary prescribing as I find a good pain management doc who is willing to take over. I'm not sure what I think of the one I saw recently...he put me on Lyrica and copped out of taking over my pain meds, saying he wasn't in the area much (couple of times a month)...blah, blah, yadda...anyway...I'm supposed to see him in Jan, and I'm going to talk with him about either taking over all meds or ending my patientship.

It's crazy and disheartening that there are pain docs out there who don't want to treat pain, because of age (30)...or because it's pelvic...and chronic pelvic pain MUST be psychosamatic, right?? UGH!!!!! I get so sick of it. That's why your story is so exciting to me. There is hope. There IS hope!!! Thank you, Lord.

I'm so happy for you, girl.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi There
It's about time girl!
Good luck to you,
Stardust

Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Amanda,
I am glad that you are finally finding some relief and have gotten your doctor to manage your pain meds. My PCP is also the one that prescribes and manages all of my medications. I am very grateful that I have found a doctor willing to prescribe the pain meds to me as well. I hope you are able to function better and sleep better tonight as well.

Brian

Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Amanda,
I am happy to hear your good news! Thank you for sharing this on the board. It sure is nice to hear there is hope out there for those of us who are suffering and maybe settling with a dr who won't treat pain to the fullest capacity modern medicine is capable of.
I especially appreciated the way you handled the situation with your pharmacist. One thing I have learned on this board is that the pharmacist is a part of your health care team and should be treated accordingly.
Thanks again!
Step

Old 12-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by butrfligirl28 View Post
To those of you who are suffering, there is hope. You can gather the courage to seek help elsewhere, to not live in pain, and in fear. Turns out there are many people that do believe in you, and believe that you deserve better. You just need the courage to ask for better, and believe that you deserve it.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Amanda, I first want to say PRAISE THE LORD and GOD BLESS YOUR GP for listening to you and treating you with the compassion and dignity you deserve. I am so happy for you. THANK YOU JESUS.

Now time for saying thank you. Today has been a horrible, horrible day for me. I posted on the back board. I have been thru h*LL. These words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to write this. The tears are streaming down my face because my surgeon has been treating me badly and I do deserve better. Your post gives me hope. Again thank you -- you have helped out another cper more than you know.

Last edited by ms_west; 12-27-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcda HB User

Diet, I have replied to your topic also on the "back problem" board. I know that you will wipe away those tears and rise again! I have seen you overcome some dreadful obstacles. I pray that "pain-free" days are ahead of you. Please keep us updated about your condition.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Amanda,

first of all, YAY! I know how hard it is to not give up, to keep trying until you get the treatment and respect you deserve, kudos to you for your courage in the face of adversity.

My PCP also is the one that treats me for pain, its becoming more and more common, and regular doctors are a lot more comfortable writing scripts for methadone and patches and things of that nature than they were 10 years ago, its great to have another resource for our treatment, and not be stuck with the local pain clinic, no matter what. They can be so different in their approaches, and for too many years people were told to take what they could get and be glad they had anything at all. Your courage and preserverance gives hope to a lot of people on these boards.

DDrPepper, Sweetie, it's your turn next! a lot of us have had good news lately, and you are way over due for some of your own. we're all pulling for you, I watch for your posts here and also on the back boards, and I pray for you to find some quality of life soon. You also give a lot to the people here, always there with a kind word and a shoulder to cry on, we're glad for the chance to be here for you, but hopefully your news will be good soon and you'll have hope for the future again.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
(female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

Wow that is awesome! If anyone deserves to get some good news it's definitely you. I hope this only the first of many great things happening for you. Here's hoping you can find a new and shiny PM ASAP. (I guess he doesn't have to be shiny, just new and nice and BETTER then the last..but it would be nice if s/he were shiny..)

Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #11
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey amanda,
I'm glad you posted. We are all people for whom things have gone horribly wrong, and it's important to know that there is hope.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Thank you all so very much. I know what it's like to suffer needlessly, and for a long period of time. I am so sad to see so many of my friends here going through the same thing. Your day will come. Until then, I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers for that day to be very, very soon. There are GOOD people here, and I do BELIEVE that we are heard. Hang in there, and we will all continue to pray for relief for us all.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Amanda, I am so happy for you! What a burden off your shoulders huh! I just bet your already feeling better just because you know you don't have that worry hanging over your head. that is just added stress & we all know what that does to you. So good for you. Sammy

Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

so glad things finally worked out for you B fly,you really have been thru hell.advocating for ourselves isn't always easy but sometimes we just HAVE to.you did it,and thats wonderful to hear.i am willing to bet that the 'weight' you have been carrying all this time just lifted right off by the time you walked out of your primarys door huh?good for you Amanda,really.hope they can finally figure out what caused that fracture in your leg now.just how is that going at this point?Marcia

Old 12-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

see what happens when you ask for better pain relief? that is great you got the increases you so needed. I hope that you can find a PM to help you, it would seem so much better if this GP would just manage your pain for you. The reason GP'S don't like to handle pm is that its a real specialty field. I do no that my own Dr said he would take over my meds because I was stable on them and they working. If I had gone to him and said my meds are not working and I am in terrible pain he may have referred me elsewhere. I hope that the new regiman works for you and you WON'T have to find a PM because finding a good one is not easy and working with a smaller generals Dr's office is much easier than dealing with a PM clinic. there are many benefits to it, you don't have to go in monthly and it cost way less. good luck and glad you found help.

SS

Closed Thread